Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #1

what are most front axle weighing on single axles and tandems units? are most front axles rated at 12,000 lbs. ? are most conversions running heaver rated tires?

volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #2

My front axle is 12k lbs rated. I weighed on a scale and my front was about 11k if I remember right. And that was with empty water tanks. And my 200 gallons of water tank are behind the rear axle. So, I'm thinking it shouldn't get any heavier and might get lighter with full water. Maybe some day I'll weigh with full water and fuel. I've seen some front axles that have huge tires on them, like cement mixers and dump trucks. I don't know what they're rated at.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #3

Bob, from what I've seen in literature and whatever else, front axle ratings can go to 18-20,000#. I don't think you would ever want anything that stiff or your truck would ride like, maybe, a dump truck or cement mixer.....
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #4

...NEW AIR RIDE FRONT AXLES ARE A "BIT EASIER"....BUT STILL A KILLER ON THE INTERIORS....KEEP IT AROUND 12K AND YOU ARE GOING TO BE COMFORTABLE...IT WILL POUND ALL THE STUFF IN THE BOX TO DUST.....12K ARE GOOD TO ABOUT 20K UNDER LOADING..[.IE WHEN YOU STOP.]..WEIGHT SHIFT FOR A FEW MOMENTS...AFTER THAT- THE WEIGHT SHIFTS TO THE REAR AGAIN.....TIRES ARE THE WEAK LINK....THEY ARE MOST IMPORTANT AS WHEN THINGS SO SOUTH IT IS USUALLY A TIRE POPPING....NEXT IS SPRINGS DEFORMING AND THEN ISSUES WITH BENT SPINDLES....12K IS ALL THAT THE HUMAN BODY APPRECIATES....JUST ASK THE BETTER HALF AFTER A DAY ON RUNNING OVER EXPANSION CRACKS.....THEN RUN!....geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz.....
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #5

Most of the conversion companies use a minimum of 14,600 front rating, Renegade minimum is 16k, with 18k on the 22' toters. The weight does not normally get close to the 16k, so they usually don't get the tires bigger than the 295's

Bob
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote