Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 03-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #1

Anyone have comments regarding this truck and engine???? Looking at a Renegade with this set up and need to know any pos or neg comments.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you

Ed

Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #2

Technically i am sure you will get more feedback, but in general its i good combination, i have the Columbia with a 515 detroit diesel, G

Old 03-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

My son drives truck over the road. He drives a company truck. '05 Columbia with the Mercedes 450, 10speed Eaton manual trans. His truck made it to almost 600k miles and a cylinder liner rotted through. They did an in frame rebuild. He doesn't know what that cost. The shop told him they think the coolant hadn't been serviced properly and that caused the liner/sleeve to fail. I think he thinks the truck is just fine. He would rather drive a KW or Pete tho. But he drives 3-4k miles a week. I think for a r/v they would be just fine.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #4

...HOW LUCKY ARE YOU FEELING LATELY...ONE THROWS THE DICE AND WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET....an additional warranty is available at extra cost on some rigs...is is worth it?...for me it wasn't because of the salesman that I trade with -but we are good friends -a warranty is good for a lot of guys-it is/was a savings because of major big time expensive problems.....your guesses are the same as everyone elses....good luck-if there were any other answers I would pass them along-but there isn't........geofkaye and the rivercity GIRLZ
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #5

Does the Renegade have the same wall construction as other brands?

Roof construction?
BUonM22? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #6

I have this combo in 2006 Optima. Basically its a Detroit series 60. Can get parts and service anywhere Freightliner (TA Truck Stops) or Detroit shops. According to a few techs I have talked to only problems are 1) if run heavy (i.e 80K ) wide open all the time will blow head gaskets, 2) coolant must be kept up to correct spec or rot problems as mentioned above, and 3) Major pain to prime after changing fuel filter. (Ask me how I know.) Virtually impossible without external pump. For Coach conversion great. I get 7-8 MPG and I am about 34K without a trailer. There are a couple of recalls out on some chassie's and the engine so check to be sure those have been done.
GFUSNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #7

I just found a 2006 Freightshaker,double bunk that am converting interior somewhat and building a toter to pull everyday 12000 lb trailer and toyhauler. This is a good combo....my new truck has 470,000 miles, engine was jut overhauled with updated liners.....all the other posts are correct on their info.....at 499,000 miles I will buy the extended warranty tho. Love the transmission.... I come from the old trucking school and never had the luxuries that are now avail....one like is the MBE engine is quiet...and quieter than the detroit....

Good luck to you!!!!
Holy Cow!.... a loving younger wife that keeps me going, a 6 yo little lady that is a princess/tom girl, a 14 yo that thinks he can sled better than a 30 year veteran sledder, and a 19 year old that is a soldier...
wedooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #8

Ed, I have sold a bunch of Columbia/Mercedes and had basically zero defects. I think I remember one turbo going bad a few years ago, that is all I recall.

Not as much power as the 515 Detroit, but quieter with a smoother torque band.

Renegade has the engine warranty at 84 months or 250,000 miles on the MBE4000 and the Detroit Series 60.

Bob
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #9

BUonM22, the Renegade uses a 5/8" FRP panel for the roof and the walls. As far as I know- no other manufacturers use FRP.

Bob
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #10

...FRP is obsolete....too many defects and swelling issues with moisture.....geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote