Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #1

Default "fog" lights

One of the little yellow (and practically useless) fog lights in the bumper of my truck took on water and failed. While searching for a replacement, I ran across deepspacelighting.com and their customized morimoto led replacements.

It only took about 30 minutes to install and adjust them last night. All I can say is Wow!, they are really nice lights! They are so bright that you can cover the regular low beam lights and not even miss them. I sure hope they are legal

I had no immediate plans for further lighting upgrades, but now that these little lights make my regular lights look so jaundiced, that I am reconsidering the upgrade.

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #2

David Dixon is the man behind Deep Space Lighting | Quality, application-specific HID lighting He's a very smart guy. Real nice too. He goes to the HDT Rally , I've met him there. I've heard lots a great reviews of his lighting upgrades. I just realized one of the crappy fog lights on my truck is out. I might have to buy some better lights now.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

Only problem I have is that Dave doesn't have any lights to replace the large rectangular fog lights on my truck. Darn.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

Man those are nice! Maybe i'll add those too.
the freaking headlights in the columbia SUCK!

Bob - add as set of Rigid Industry driving lamps (like i did)....theyre pricey but throw an AMAZING amount of light.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

Hi Don,

Your fog lights will be on the way shortly. We do also have an upgrade for the Columbia headlights--really clean setup that replaces the whole housing--but not cheap either. Rigid makes good lights, just don't run those anywhere high beams wouldn't be appropriate.

Bob--Get me some pictures of what you have. I'm working on a mounting system for the gen-1 Volvos, which are a rectangular opening also. Might be able to make a similar version that would work for your truck. Hope you plan to make the rally this year--the drums, popcorn, and cookies have been missed (not that anyone went hungry...).
Old 05-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Hi Don,

Your fog lights will be on the way shortly. We do also have an upgrade for the Columbia headlights--really clean setup that replaces the whole housing--but not cheap either.
Thanks, I look forward to receiving your factory replacement driving lights soon.

I just can't see paying 1200 bucks for replacement headlights for an occasional use vehicle. Im sure professional drivers (and maybe full timers) justify the expense much easier.

Quote:
Rigid makes good lights, just don't run those anywhere high beams wouldn't be appropriate.
Ive got the rigid's D2's (6 LED per light) in the driving pattern on the coach and have them aimed such that i rarely get complaints. I keep the drivers side light pointed a bit straighter (avoiding the on coming / interstate traffic) and I keep the passenger side light aimed a bit more toward the shoulder (to watch for deer).

FWIW - i had mistakenly order the spot patterned from Rigid for our TOAD (wrangler) and imo they were too narrow (hell you couldn't even tell there were TWO beams they were so narrow in their throw, they went back IMMEDIATELY and replaced them w/ the Rigid Dually (4 LED pre light) in the FLOOD pattern which suites the Jeep Wrangler much better.

I've gotten more complaints from a poorly aligned passenger side OE headlight then i have on the rigid lamps.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #7

Photo of deep space fog lights installed.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #8

This is the best picture I can find of my front end. I guess I should take some closer up ones. The lights are those ones down low.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #9

I think they're just a standard fog type light. They mount with one bolt it looks like. I'll take some close ups and measure next time I'm at the rig.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
This is the best picture I can find of my front end. I guess I should take some closer up ones. The lights are those ones down low.
Ive thought about adding an LED light bar in the lower portion of my grill, that
might be a nice alternative for you bob....or even a 2 smaller light bars so you could aim them independently.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
That is a really sharp looking rig!
Old 05-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #12

I bought some HID lights to replace my current candles....I have them installed but not all the way hooked up. They installed easy and neat, I just have to hook the feed wire up to the place where you jump start the truck, just out of pocket for a while. Got them from xenondepot and the price was good less than $150.00, I will give an update as soon as I get them hooked up.

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #13

Thanks petrel!
Old 05-12-2016, 11:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
I bought some HID lights to replace my current candles....I have them installed but not all the way hooked up. They installed easy and neat, I just have to hook the feed wire up to the place where you jump start the truck, just out of pocket for a while. Got them from xenondepot and the price was good less than $150.00, I will give an update as soon as I get them hooked up.

Sam
Sam -

Im very curious about your install and end results.
I have a fair amount of experience in retro-fitting HID bulbs (and associated ballast and igniters).

Ill be curious to hear what your impressions are about beam pattern and throw when the bulbs are used in factory / OEM reflectors/lens'.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #15

I've sent Dave at DeepSpace all the photos and measurements of my truck's lighting configuration. I hope he can build (and I can afford) a complete lighting upgrade, while also retaining much of the truck's original appearance.

I completely agree with the previous remark about costly lighting in "occasional use" vehicles. However, a considerable amount of my use occurs at night. I just finished up CDL school. After a month of talking about hazard avoidance and stopping distances, I've decided that I need to be able to see a bit better both at night with better headlights, and during the day with my newly acquired (and first pair of) eyeglasses!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #16

Quote:
I think they're just a standard fog type light. They mount with one bolt it looks like. I'll take some close ups and measure next time I'm at the rig.
Thanks Bob! From a distance, they look like they're similar in size to the gen-1 Volvos--I'm working on a kit for those now. With any luck, there might be some shared parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post

Sam
Sam--Please don't do this. HID "bulbs" that share a halogen bulb base aren't legal for sale in the US, and for good reason. The light manufacturer (Grote for the Coronado lights) designs for a specific filament location and light output. A Xenon capsule isn't the same shape or location as the filament, and can't reproduce the proper light distribution. It may seem brighter, but it's going to give you increased foreground lighting and glare toward other drivers, which are both dangerous. If you look at any HID system with reflector optics, you'll notice that the bulb is shielded and isn't directly exposed to someone standing in front of the truck--that won't be the case with your conversion. Looking directly at the light will be blinding, especially at close range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
I've sent Dave at DeepSpace all the photos and measurements of my truck's lighting configuration. I hope he can build (and I can afford) a complete lighting upgrade, while also retaining much of the truck's original appearance.

I completely agree with the previous remark about costly lighting in "occasional use" vehicles. However, a considerable amount of my use occurs at night. I just finished up CDL school. After a month of talking about hazard avoidance and stopping distances, I've decided that I need to be able to see a bit better both at night with better headlights, and during the day with my newly acquired (and first pair of) eyeglasses!
Working on it!! I can't tell you the number of RVers that have commented that they like the light upgrades, but just don't drive at night. One in particular, who's very active in the HDT crowd on the Escapees forum at at the national rally, was in this boat until having to make a trip cross-country to deal with a family emergency. Especially when you're already pushing it, you don't want to be struggling to see. I've actually found that with good lights and the big rig, I tend to prefer night driving--less traffic (especially passenger cars), and fuel stops are less crowded. Especially when stopping for propane (e.g. at Flying J), it's far easier to do it at night--there are a number of them where I'd be in the way to reach my tank, but it's not a big deal at 1am.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #17

Hey Duff,

I think i have the the shielding in place for the low beams here is a picture for you. tryed to rotate it.....oh well.....

Sam

Quote:
Thanks Bob! From a distance, they look like they're similar in size to the gen-1 Volvos--I'm working on a kit for those now. With any luck, there might be some shared parts.

Sam--Please don't do this. HID "bulbs" that share a halogen bulb base aren't legal for sale in the US, and for good reason. The light manufacturer (Grote for the Coronado lights) designs for a specific filament location and light output. A Xenon capsule isn't the same shape or location as the filament, and can't reproduce the proper light distribution. It may seem brighter, but it's going to give you increased foreground lighting and glare toward other drivers, which are both dangerous. If you look at any HID system with reflector optics, you'll notice that the bulb is shielded and isn't directly exposed to someone standing in front of the truck--that won't be the case with your conversion. Looking directly at the light will be blinding, especially at close range.

Working on it!! I can't tell you the number of RVers that have commented that they like the light upgrades, but just don't drive at night. One in particular, who's very active in the HDT crowd on the Escapees forum at at the national rally, was in this boat until having to make a trip cross-country to deal with a family emergency. Especially when you're already pushing it, you don't want to be struggling to see. I've actually found that with good lights and the big rig, I tend to prefer night driving--less traffic (especially passenger cars), and fuel stops are less crowded. Especially when stopping for propane (e.g. at Flying J), it's far easier to do it at night--there are a number of them where I'd be in the way to reach my tank, but it's not a big deal at 1am.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160520_095912.jpg  
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
Old 06-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #18

After driving at night for several hundred miles I can talk about my lights. They are whiter than my originals, they throw the same distances but you can see out there, before it was dark( reason for upgrade) I have the lens that has the shield in front of the bulb. So when I hit the brights I can't tell much of a difference. So am I happy driving with these lights , yes, only thing is I had to really read the instruction and triple check things, had to reverse the factory plugs to get the polarity to match the new.

I am happy

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
Sam -

Im very curious about your install and end results.
I have a fair amount of experience in retro-fitting HID bulbs (and associated ballast and igniters).

Ill be curious to hear what your impressions are about beam pattern and throw when the bulbs are used in factory / OEM reflectors/lens'.