Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #1

I have a 2002 Ford E350 dually diesel box truck with an 8x14 box that is 7' high lined with slat lining, interior looks like this: http://truckconversion.net/photopost/showphoto.php?phot...rt=1&cat=500&page=17

Exterior looks like this: http://truckconversion.net/photopost/showphoto.php?phot...dium&cat=500&page=17

Can I put big windows in the sides of the box without cutting the studs?

Any suggestions what I could do with this small of space for a floor plan?

Basic living area ie couch or diner..., shower, simple kitchen with counter top, with maybe a portable toilet that could be moved around to maximize usable space.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:16 AM   #2

I do not believe the sidewall structure is heavy enough to start hanging cabinets off of or cutting large windows in. The front and rear corner posts are the strongest that a box truck has, the rest of the supports in the middle just basically hold the siding in a straight line

MHensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #3

MHensley

Are you saying that hanging large RV diner size windows using the sheet metal as a frame is insufficient, the windows could sag the framing area over time, therefore the window frame should be welded, riveted to the other studs and headers, boxed in... to create a stronger support? Small windows would create no problem but large RV sized diner windows, lots of weight over thousands of miles equals distortion if their is insufficient framing to support it?

That makes sense when you think of the road vibrations the windows get subjected to as you drive over bumpy roads.

Are there any webites from the conversion manufacturers or anyone else that has a drag and click program for laying out floor plans in an RV setting?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #4

Yes you are correct on the large size window installation. You might be alright welding back into the frame with headers and verticals. HWH will be in our facility this week and I will ask them about a software program for this application, if they have one.
MHensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #5

MHensley

Thanks for the help.

If it makes a difference, I was interested in a drag and click program that is hosted on somebodies commercial site like showhauler, haulmark, kingsley... that allows you to move floor plans around and that can be reached from a computer rather than software that can be purchased.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #6

I had the same sort of box on a class 8 and hung cabinets without a problem. I used 1/2" plywood screwed to the slat board. that stuff is incredibly strong. then just hung the cabinets from the plywood. I think I also had a ledger board the underneath the length of the cabinet.

I think with the plywood, windows can also be mounted. I will be doing this in my new trailer this next week. I did not keep that configuration, so long term effects are really unknown. But I cannot imagine there would have been a problem.

Just remember, those boxes were made with the idea of forklifts crashing into them all day.

I thought I saw your truck on Craigslist? did you decide to keep it?

Mike
Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #7

I'm going to keep it until I find a better machine to replace it. It's amazing how smooth the motor runs at freeway speeds. It's like hearing a fine running sewing machine. Quiet and smooth.

It would make a nice mini conversion.