Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #1

My rig has a Liftco slide, sofa width. It's got a electric motor that turns two long screws to move the slide in and out. When the slide is out I can look up underneath on the outside and see the slots where the screws are, they have rubber shielding to keep the screws clean. I bought my rig used and didn't get any documentation on the slide. Wondering if I should put some grease on those screws once in awhile? They look very clean so I don't think they've been greased. Maybe I should spray something light on them? Or maybe I shouldn't do anything to them? I sent this question to Liftco too but thought I'd post here to see if anybody has any info about this. If I hear back from Liftco I'll post that here too.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #2

We use Liftco. They come new with white lithium grease on the shafts. As I recall, they have a bronze screw bearing that rides on the shaft. You can go back with the grease, or even use WD-40. The grease collects dust and dirt and can get gummy. The vertical slides also need lubing too. That is the chrome shafts that are about 16" long that the arms slide up and down. If your slide sounds noisy, that is the first place I would look. We use the lithium grease on them too. But it works better than WD-40 or silicone spray.

HawkEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #3

Hawk, If the grease gets dirty, and in the screw threads, how do you clean before re-lube? Do you use special tools, or pardon the pun just elbow grease?

Doc W
Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #4

I think you could spray some brake cleaner to clean everything out. That stuff will disolve the grease and carry away any junk. Then let air dry and apply a small ammt. or white lithium grease I guess. I don't have any squeeks and it works fine. Just thinking I should maybe do something to maintain it. I'll use some white lith then. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #5

..mix one part automatic transmission fluid and one part of MEK or acetone together and clean screws with paint brush-wipe dry with clean rags....coat with silicone spray before retracting each time and you will never have a problem....or just use grease and get ready for a real pleasurable experience when trying to leave the camp ground after a long weekend....you never really learn to curse really good until the slide jambs or the screw jack jambs and you are stuck till MONDAY or later on in the week.....I have had to replace drive motors when they burned up attempting to work the slide in and out to get it to close tightly..........I charge $175 to do the labor part+replacement parts........one of the best systems has a bolt head that can be turned by a battery drill and closed up tightly....just a hint!....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote