Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #1

I think since I've had my rig (over a year) there has been a annoying squeek in it. I'm almost always the driver so it wasn't that bad for me. And, since I was always driving I couldn't hunt around for it's source since it wouldn't do it while parked. I finally got somebody else to drive and figured it out, at least verified it was the a/c unit. I took it apart yesterday and found the culprit. If you take the plastic panels off on the inside of the roof there are four LONG screws/bolts, one at each corner. These have about a 3/8th size head on them, black in color. The go through the metal trim ring on the inside of the roof and all the way up into the unit. One of them was about an inch loose. It was scraping on the metal ring when the unit would vibrate on the road. I took all four screws out (one at a time of course) and put blue locktite on them and tightened them down. Drove 220 miles and it's quiet! Yay!!! I sure wish I would have done that a long time ago.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #2

I surprised that it didn't leak.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #3

...I ALSO SUGGEST A COAT OF ANTI SEIZE CUZ THEY RUST IN PLACE AND BREAK OFF WHEN IT IS TIME TO RECHARGE THE UNITE WITHOUT PAYING FOR A TOP REPAIR.....ABOUT $50 MORE HERE BECAUSE OF THE LADDER AND SLIPPAGE OFF THE TOP OF THE UNITE.......LEAKS AT THE FOAM FLANGE ARE QUITE COMMON AND LETS MOISTURE INSIDE OF THE WALL-LEADING TO ROT AND MILDEW......SO IF YOU WERE TO CAULK THE BOTTOM SEAM YOU ARE GOING TO BE AHEAD OF THE MOISTURE ISSUE.......geofkaye and the RIVERCITY GIRLZ......
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #4

I'm guessing the seal between the base of the unit and roof is still good. I see no signs of leakage inside. Geof, somethiseeze is good if you want to be able to get a bolt loose. But not that good at securing bolts that vibrate a lot and tend to come loose. Locktite secures the bolts yet will come out with a wrench without too much trouble. Blue locktite is easy to undo. Green is a bit tougher. Red is very tough to get out, heat helps on bolts that have red on them.

Doc, it wasn't THAT loose, the other three screws were kind of snug.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #5

that's good Bob. Leaks are a pain. water, damaged interior, mold......the only thing more annoying is hunting down a noise. I had one in a mustang (squeak)that was driving me crazy. I finally had my father drive the car while I climbed all over the inside of the car. by the way it was between the trunk and the back seat.

Doc Weavaer