Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #1

Here we go,one of the many reasons i decided on a T/C was the ease with which the truck could be worked on. As some of you know i recently got a PM service at Freightliner that cost me $576, expensive, i thought. I am in the process of confronting the service manager, he is telling me that Motor Homes require a more complete PM service, more work etc...I have asked him to be specific and let me know what the differences are, between a reg truck and a MH, so far, no response. Here is what i think is happening, the average Diesel Pusher has always been more difficult to service, since the T/C is not well known, it just gets lumped into the Motorhome category and we get overcharged. I am going to follow up directly with Frieghtliner if i must, they have a complaint dept...Lets stick together on this, our trucks are no different to service than any other truck, dont roll over for blatant price inflating, G

Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

Gene,
Help me understand what your Freight Liner Service Manager is trying to say.

An “Over The Road” (OTR) Class 8 truck that is made into a Motor Home, also called a Truck Conversion or TC, should cost more to service than a standard or basic OTR.

The only differences I can see are possibly:
1. Wheelbase is longer and it takes more room to move around
2. Drive train is extended by usually one additional carrier bearing and an extra shaft.
3. Cleanliness. Your cab might be “too nice” and require extra care but not likely.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh what else am I forgetting? The dealer should not be concerned with any of the typical MH issues:
1. Limited access for pushers
2. Limited or no documentation on closely coupled sub systems in the engine compartment
3. Servicing any sub-systems like Generators ETC

I think this guy may be yanking your chain or just following orders without really thinking about it.

I would first ask to see the standard published service rates from Freightliner and from the shop itself to see if you’re realling dealing with different rates for OTR vs MH and then start the discussion about the TC vs MH vs OTR differences.

I personally stay away from the KW dealer here because of high published hourly service rates. I go to out of town to the more rural setting of a local truck repair facility. They are always fascinated by the truck and I seem to get good service at a reasonable price.

Rad

Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

Rad, interestingly enough after numerous emails back and forth, he has given me a $250 credit toward my next service, i will post our exchanges if anyone is interested, we have to watch out for this type of bullshit, G
Old 07-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #4

I think next time you might get a quote via phone: what does _________ cost for a Freightliner __________ truck? don't mention the conversion part. just tell them the original truck model.

Doc Weaver
Old 07-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #5

Doc, you said it. When you make an appt. for service you just tell them it's a "straight truck." That's what the truckers call them. There's no need to tell them it's got living quarters in it. That's how I deal with my local Kenworth shop. They're great with me. The Freightliner dealer is much further away for me so I prefer the KW place.
Good thing you worked it out with that guy. Should be all good now.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #6

My suggestion is to get your service at the chains- Petrolube, J-Lube, Speedco, etc.

They usually have posted rates and standard service prices.

Bob Dill
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdhomes View Post
My suggestion is to get your service at the chains- Petrolube, J-Lube, Speedco, etc.

They usually have posted rates and standard service prices.

Bob Dill
Even better, do it yourself.
Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #8

i dont disagree w/ the DIY...but handling 14gallons of used motor oil can be a problem for some....ive got some gallon jugs for our cars (my f350 takes 4 gallons)... i dont have enough containers for 14 gallons in a single oil change.

btw i always dump my used motor oil at walmart - they hate when i show up w/ 10 gallons....and often accuse me of being a commercial biz/oil changer...i just laugh.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #9

There's a repair shop down the street that does all my inspections. They collect waste oil and heat their shop with it in winter.....(never under 76º degrees in there.....) I have three five gallon buckets with lids that I collect in. When I get a big truck I'll get a drum with a pump.
Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENECARP View Post
Here we go,one of the many reasons i decided on a T/C was the ease with which the truck could be worked on. As some of you know i recently got a PM service at Freightliner that cost me $576, expensive, i thought. I am in the process of confronting the service manager, he is telling me that Motor Homes require a more complete PM service, more work etc...I have asked him to be specific and let me know what the differences are, between a reg truck and a MH, so far, no response. Here is what i think is happening, the average Diesel Pusher has always been more difficult to service, since the T/C is not well known, it just gets lumped into the Motorhome category and we get overcharged. I am going to follow up directly with Frieghtliner if i must, they have a complaint dept...Lets stick together on this, our trucks are no different to service than any other truck, dont roll over for blatant price inflating, G
What did the "PM service entail"?
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by #90-GTSC View Post
What did the "PM service entail"?
took the words right outta my mouth ! I'd love to see the bill & the rates
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #12

This thread was resurrected from many months ago, I will try to find a copy. Since this post I found a Freightliner place in NC, they charged straight posted truck prices for service.......G