Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Default Drive Tires

Any advice on Drive tires? I am running 295/75R22.5 lugged tires (1994 date code.) Tread is in great shape, outers are dry rotting.

Since I live in Texas, it will probably never be driven in snow. It will definitely be driven on dirt / gravel roads for short periods getting to events.

Suggestions? It will see 6 trips of 400-1500 miles each way a year. I want good, safe tires, but play money is getting scarce after ac and generator.
Attached Thumbnails
sidewall.JPG   tread.JPG  

40's rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #2

I run steer (or all position I think they're sometimes called) tires on my drives. I don't drive in the snow. They tell me steers are quieter and get better mileage and the tires last longer. Not that I'm worried about wearing out the tread since our tires rot and crack long before the treads wear out. I don't know much about size but it seems like they're going more to the 11r22.5? Maybe see what a truck tire expert says about that.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #3

40's Rock:

Since beginning my Peterbilt 379 motorhome conversion three years ago, I have replaced all six tires (I "singled-up" the rear). I wanted high quality tires, as I had a blowout on the the outside right rear at 60 mph after the retread failed and separated from the casing, tearing up my newly installed stainless steel fender.

I was told by several truck tire dealers that steer tires would provide a better ride if installed on the rear, but the mileage would not be as good, and they cost slightly more. I went with standard drive tires, but the dealer recommended ones which would have the lowest road noise.

This spring I replaced both steer tires as the right one developed a serious out-of-round condition and caused excessive vibration when at speed.

My philosophy on tires; its the only only thing between you and the road. I purchased high end tires; I feel confortable and confident they will NEVER leave me on the side of the road.

There are lots of selections out there for truck tires. 22.5 is the most popular size. Don't buy retreads for the drives; don't skimp on quality; buy a name-brand tire; stay away from tires imported from China or Korea.

Hope this helps.
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I have never believed in cheap tires, since your life is riding on them. Also, my kids will be in the rig with me every time it rolls out...they are irreplaceable.
Looking at Cooper Roadmaster RM275 for $435 or midline Yokohamas for $475
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #5

i just replaced my Steer tires....the difference between top of the line (xze3) and mid to low(er) grade tires was only 150 bucks...300 sure for the pair but over 5 or 6 years its a drop in the bucket.

i talked to a tire center at loves truck stop (i was curious about road calls & pricing)....
they have policy that prevents them from - installing a trailer tire or retread in any steer position & they wont install "your spare"

the money i tried to save (being cheap) didnt seem worth it in the end.

we also run steer tires on the rear...we dont get into situations where the ground is soft OR where snow & ice are remotely possible (im in texas too, but we travel to virginia a lot).

if snow becomes an issue we WILL be the 1st ones off the road and into a truck stop...warm and happy w/ the TV on and a beverage in our hand !
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

I like and have considered the benefit of steer tires on the rear. I think in my case, we will drive on enough rough surface that a on/off road lug tire may be worth the effort.

I can for the most part steer the front around rocks, but the rear end will inevitably catch a few. Having a rough duty tire on the rear will give me a little security. My education continues.....
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #7

I have a wholesale tire account with a tire distributor that also carries hdt tires. I can get you the cooper rm275's for $350 per tire loose (not mounted). The first name brand would be a Dunlop SP431A drive tire at $411, up to a Goodyear G399 fuelmax all position at $470. Only catch is you have to pick them up here in Ohio.

If anybody else needs help with tires, I'll hook you up at barely over cost. Truck tires aren't really what we do, but we have access to them through our one supplier. We don't mount.

I just put new steer tires on my Topkick, Michelin XRV's, as my 235/80/22.5 is an odd size that is all I could find. But they seem good, and Michelin is top of the line.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #8

Narrowed down to the Firestone 663 and the Dunlop 431. I like an open shoulder on the drive tire.
Does anyone have experience with either of these tires? How do they stack up?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #9

i was just wondering about setting up some deal with tire dealer to trade in or sell old tires to over the road truck after a couple years of use. or sell them out right if you have a common truck size. i have a lot of truckers looking for steer tires. better then dry rotting. what about switching inner and outer tires around for more life?
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #10

The tread on the rears looks almost new. My inners look good and I only have a little dry rotting on the outers. From what I'm told, the date code on them is '94. Tire dealers start to shake when they hear that....this thing sat a whole lot more than it drove.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #11

i was thinking keep them about 3 years and then trade them in or sell them .
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #12

I asked a tire dealer about it and he said he'd be happy to do just that.

jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote