Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Lightbulb Does an inframe overhaul consist of rods/mains?

I have a detroit 12.7 series 60 with close to 1 million miles on it. It is now starting to heat up on long pulls and now the heat isn't working. I took it to a few mechanics and they are saying either a cracked head or a cracked liner. The cheapeast estimate i got was around $13,500. That included overhaul and head, bull gear, and cut counterbores and install sleeves. Now is this what they mean buy a complete overhaul, or is this just a bottom rebuild, or a top rebuild? And after i do this overhaul, will i have to go inside this engine again anytime soon?

bradaka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #2

For that much money I would hope that you would not have to go back in anytime soon. I can say from my marine technician days, that we would inspect the conecting rods, and verify the length. Since they have bearing at both ends, the bearings and wrist pins were always replaced. They were hardly ever replaced as long as the bearing contact surface was not damaged or the length changed.
Also when I purchased an inframe kit for my International DT360, it did not include connecting rods, just the bearings. With that sort of mileage I guess new rods wouldn't hurt to have. You could request a written estimate that would include a parts list. Good Luck,

Dodger

Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

How much would a reconditioned engine cost?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #4

have you seen this....

What is Included in the Rebuild kits?

In-frame engine rebuild kits will vary by the number of cylinder kits your engine has, but they all have the same basic components as listed below:

Cylinder Kits (This includes: Piston, Liner, Rings and Liner Seals)
Main Bearing Set Std.
Rod Bearing Set Std.
Head Gasket Set
Oil Pan Gasket
Rocker Cover Gasket

Overhaul engine rebuild kits include the items listed above plus the following*:

38 Head Bolts
2 Thermostats
7 Cam bearings
Upgrade to Overhaul Gasket Set**

*engine rebuild kit contents can vary from make to make but this is predominantly how they breakdown.
**for Cat and Cummins rebuild kit

here's some DD60 kits and the cost of the kit parts -
Detroit Diesel Series 60 Rebuild Kits & Parts - In-Frame / Overhaul Kits
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #5

I found some REMAN 12.7/series 60 motors at the link below for anywhere from 6500 - 9500 bucks

"runners" are priced as low as 3900 bucks.

Detroit Engines for Sale on DieselEngineTrader

theres plenty of used motors listed here too (100k mile unit for $11k, higher mile units for less) - Detroit 60 SER 12.7 Engine Assembly on HeavyTruckParts.Net
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #6

I found the same thing Don did when I did a little searching. $6500 sounds a lot better than $13,500! Used runners is also a good option. bradaka1 should also keep his eye open for used running trucks and wrecked trucks. Sometimes the entire truck can be bought for less than what the engine costs. Put the engine in your rig and sell what is left over.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

Overhaul kits for the Detroit Diesel Series 60 run from $2300 - $5000 depending on what version of the engine you have (the 14 Liter EGR engines are more expensive). A good place to start would be to give Diesel Rebuild Kits a call them a call with your engine serial # so they can properly identify all of the correct parts for your engine (there is some variation among these engines so you always want to be sure of what your working with).

A good place to start is here:

Detroit Diesel Series 60 Engine Kits & Parts
DieselRebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #8

The prices on the inframe kits seem very reasonable. What brand are the pistons/sleeves/bearings? I have been shopping for a Cat 3406B kit. I have found a lot of "China" parts on the net. I prefer name brand USA parts. Most of the local shops will not use the China parts. To many problems. I only want to build it once so I don't mind spending a little more money for the good stuff. MMM
mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #9

Default USA Manufactured Diesel Engine Components

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmc101 View Post
The prices on the inframe kits seem very reasonable. What brand are the pistons/sleeves/bearings? I have been shopping for a Cat 3406B kit. I have found a lot of "China" parts on the net. I prefer name brand USA parts. Most of the local shops will not use the China parts. To many problems. I only want to build it once so I don't mind spending a little more money for the good stuff. MMM
Hey there! I carry all the major US Brands. This kit is available in IPD, FP Diesel, Interstate Mcbee and Mahle-Clevite. All of which are major heavy duty diesel spare parts manufacturers. If you send me over your engine serial # I can quote you price and availability in any of those brands which in my opinion are the best of the best with IPD taking the cake with their lines of parts.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #10

if there doing a in frame o/h are they doing machine work or sub contracting? check warranty and shops reputation. certain years of 60 series wrist pins would break about 800,000 to 1,000,000 miles sending rod through side of engine. a lot of times it would go through ecm. i would buy reconditioned rods.
where are you located?
i would stay with oem parts.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #11

Good point volvoman. You can also buy a set of new bushings to press into your own rods.

Connecting Rod Bushing Set, Detroit Diesel Series 60 "New Style" - Diesel Rebuild Kits - Engine Rebuild Kits & Parts for Detroit Diesel, CAT, Cummins, Komatsu & More
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRebuild View Post
Hey there! I carry all the major US Brands. This kit is available in IPD, FP Diesel, Interstate Mcbee and Mahle-Clevite. All of which are major heavy duty diesel spare parts manufacturers. If you send me over your engine serial # I can quote you price and availability in any of those brands which in my opinion are the best of the best with IPD taking the cake with their lines of parts.
Where might I find the engine S/N? The engine was "supposedly" inframed about 100K back. I am sure it has had some work done as the truck has 1.1M miles. The truck was a complete glider less engine,built in Sept 94. Don't know about the engine other than it's 3406B mechanical. I would prefer all usa parts.Mahle-Clevite are good products,use their pistons/bearings in my sprint car.
I have found a factory reman head assy for $1100. Not sure if thats a good price or not. Planned on reman injectors and new bearings/ seals in the turbo. The engine runs fine now,however I would be more comfortable with a "known condition". Should be able to inframe it for under $5K (no labor). I have never inframed a Cat but have many Cummins from 220's to 400's and 71/92 series Detroits. Can't be much different.
MMM
mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmc101 View Post
Where might I find the engine S/N? The engine was "supposedly" inframed about 100K back. I am sure it has had some work done as the truck has 1.1M miles. The truck was a complete glider less engine,built in Sept 94. Don't know about the engine other than it's 3406B mechanical. I would prefer all usa parts.Mahle-Clevite are good products,use their pistons/bearings in my sprint car.
I have found a factory reman head assy for $1100. Not sure if thats a good price or not. Planned on reman injectors and new bearings/ seals in the turbo. The engine runs fine now,however I would be more comfortable with a "known condition". Should be able to inframe it for under $5K (no labor). I have never inframed a Cat but have many Cummins from 220's to 400's and 71/92 series Detroits. Can't be much different.
MMM
It should be on an engine dataplate on the valve cover of the engine or stamped on the block near the exhaust manifold. It should start with 92U, 70V, 3ZJ, 4CK or 5KJ. I can also work with the make and vin # of the truck, as long as you are sure it's the original engine for the truck. If all else fails we can look for a number off one of the pistons.

The price for the reman head sounds pretty good. You want to make sure it's reman with good quality components.

I have good prices on the injectors and turbo repair kits as well.