Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-26-2003, 03:34 PM   #1

The other day I came across a topic where I really could have used a photo of a conversion I had seen on the web. I was so mad I had not saved it to the photo gallery so I have been going through my links and putting a bunch of conversions on the site.

As I was going through my stuff I had a link to Competition Trailers which I had forgotten about. Although you would have a tough time getting into traditional campgrounds, a semi trailer would definitely afford you some serious living space. I had seen a few guys over at one of the bus conversion sites start a semi trailer conversion, but never did see them finish it.

A little pricey at $250,000 plus, but you could truly move your house to different destinations.

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:07 PM   #2

Bill: The only problem with that rig would be how to keep HUD (Housing and Urban Developement) from bothering you. Seems that the rule that anything over 399 sq ft would fall under HUD rules. Seems it would rule out slide outs and such to keep it within the guidleines.

Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:56 AM   #3

Hi. I'm a real newbie to heavy trucks, but I'm learning!

We currently have a 35' toybox five pulled with a dodge PU. I'm now researching the class 8 conversions and will hopefully buy one in about a year. That will be Step One.

Step Two will be to sell the toybox, put our mcycles on the back of the BigTruck and have a custom, 40 foot trailer fabricated with quad slides and all the ammenities. I guess I'm going to have to do a little more research on the 399 sf thing, but I kinda look at it like, what they ("the guvmnt") don't know, won't hurt me. Besides, with the slides IN, it would be under the size restriction anyway.

This idea of a commercial-tough fiver with full basement, air brakes and suspension really appeals to me.
SpearWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:19 PM   #4

THE cost per sq. ft. would be more than a custom built house-which in this area runs about $110.00 a sq. ft......with material and labor averaging $20.00 a sq.ft. [cost] on the wholesale end it's really a waste of money for the average person and for the highline buyer it is a company business expense in most cases....A friend has a $550k Prevost Conversion bus....his insurance alone is $3000 a year and his fuel mileage is around 8mpg....like most of those big unites it belongs to the company he ownes and he uses it for "business travel"........geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:35 AM   #5

Hi geof.

Your comments about the cost interested me enough to do a little math .

If we assume, say $50,000 for a modified 12'6" high, 96" wide, and 40' long semi-trailer (complete with add-on basements and slide-outs)and then, also assume that the finishing costs (adding the interior and exterior hardware, (carpet, appliances, cabinets, beds, awnings, holding tanks, etc.) would be more than a custom home . . . let's say $125/sf, the total cost would be approximately $100,000 ($50,000 + ($399 x $125).

Add the cost of a nicely outfitted VN610 and your at $135,000. Certainly not the cost of a pop-up, but then, when you get into this league, the measure for comparison changes. As you said, a Prevost might run $500K, so a "tractor/trailer camper" seems like a bargain to me!
SpearWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:01 AM   #6

I saw the price on it as $250,000...for a vehicle that may not be able to travel in certain areas....bus guys have to have a toad also because of this same problem.....'course now if it is a business expense the first $100,000 is deductable....that sweentens the deal somewhat but still overpriced considering what your get....geof
Old 10-29-2003, 01:20 PM   #7

hi guys, mase. been thinkin' about the ultimate r.v.. i've al'ways wondered if you [anybody] could take a moving van trailer with the possom belly, and build your own. you'd need a passage way from the tractor to the trailer, so how 'bout one of the telescoping connectors found on trains? then a person could have a shallow pool or a deep hot tub in the lower section, you could even have a butlers pantry for inside access to the roof. well tell me what you really think---- am i completely madd. mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:52 PM   #8

mase-pool or hot tube is out because of the baffels necessary to keep the water shoshing form happening-it's all a matter of money for everything else....geof