Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Diesel gas is over $5 per gallon in San Francisco area. (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/diesel-gas-over-%245-per-gallon-san-francisco-area-5529/)

BravestDog 05-21-2008 08:40 AM

I just noticed a Shell gas station in Oakland, CA, near San Francisco, that was selling diesel gas at over $5 per gallon.

Are any of the members here making money off these high prices? Anyone own stock in the big oil companies...???

I remember the good old days of cheap gas and muscle cars. I reckon those good ol' days of cheap gas are over for good.

This reminds me of the Merle Haggard song titled "Are the good times really over for good?" The lyrics are interesting. At the end he says:
"The best of the free life is still yet to come, The good times ain't over for good."

This sounds more optimistic than: "Is the best of the free life behind us now? Are the good times really over for good?"

Here are the lyrics:

Are the good times really over for good? Merle Haggard.

I wish a buck was still silver.
It was back when the country was strong.
Back before Elvis; before the Vietnam war came along.
Before The Beatles and "Yesterday",
When a man could still work, and still would.
Is the best of the free life behind us now?
Are the good times really over for good?

Are we rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell?
With no kind of chance for the Flag or the Liberty bell.
Wish a Ford and a Chevy,
Could still last ten years, like they should.

I wish coke was still cola,
And a joint was a bad place to be.
And it was back before Nixon lied to us all on TV.
Before microwave ovens,
When a girl could still cook and still would.

Are we rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell?
With no kind of chance for the Flag or the Liberty bell.
Wish a Ford and a Chevy,
Could still last ten years, like they should.

Stop rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell.
Stand up for the Flag and let's all ring the Liberty bell.
Let's make a Ford and a Chevy,
Still last ten years, like they should.
The best of the free life is still yet to come,
The good times ain't over for good.

geofkaye 05-21-2008 10:20 PM

.....$4.802 in Indiana at Flying J....not any DOT #card and needed fuel...only a hundred gallons........geofkaye

geofkaye 05-21-2008 10:22 PM

....BTW 12,500 shares of ExxonMobile- old family money...since you asked..... geofkaye

BravestDog 05-22-2008 09:44 AM

According to this link here from the Governments Energy Information Administration:

https://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/ddr001M.htm

In April 1994 diesel was $1.10/gal, (14 yrs ago)

In April 1999 diesel was $1.07/gal, (9 yrs ago)

In April 2004 diesel was $1.69/gal, (4 yrs ago)

In April 2008 diesel was $4.08/gal, (current, but lower than what we see in CA)

Geof, has your stock increased 4 times it's value since 1994 like the price of diesel?

If we drive less, will the price of diesel drop in price significantly or are we looking at $4-5/gal and rising forever?

geofkaye 05-23-2008 09:11 PM

....BravestDog:.....I really don't know-I have Thor Investment Management handling my stuff-though the Exxon isn't in the group of stuff that they control.....they do watch over it for me. It's about $92.00 a share today....the real problem is that I can't cash it in without paying 40% in taxes-so I use it for loan value if I need to do something expensive. as far as increases or decreases are concerned-who the hell knows? Speculators are buying futures and holding on to them in the ground until there is a price increase-sometime in the future. the towel heads aren't interested if pumping any more and China and India are sucking up as much oil as they can get their hands on with a population/economic increase of about 7 times what this country is growing at currently......your guess is as good as mine and of course everyone is blaming someone else for their cost increase. locally-I get a lot of crap about being wealthy.....and stories about how tough it is to make ends meet....my answer is that I have worked all my life-sometimes 3 jobs and I'm now getting the rewards....and I'm still working..... with 2 new companies opening in the next month-bed liner coating like stuff and spray polyisocyanate foam insulation......'course because I don't drink or smoke I have plenty of $ for fuel....now if I could just do without fancy- dancing girls........OH WELL!....geofkaye

Wick 05-28-2008 06:33 PM

Here is a thought:
Why not boycot Washington DC? Deliver nothing by truck to the DC area unless it is emergency medical supplies or some other life threatening emergency. After a short period all the politicians would notice when they could not go out and have a meal or cigar or drink at public expense.....I would be willing to donate to the truckers that make their living from delivering to that area to help them survive.....How long would it take to get some real action?

Wick

geofkaye 05-28-2008 09:15 PM

....the ethnetic majority would riot-[like every other nite]- and the politicians would be moved out to the GreenBriar or some other Fancy resort under national guard or secret service.....they already have plans in place for mass evac[BUG OUT!] to wherever for whatever.....you got to remember that you are more likely to be shot in Washington DC than in IRAQ...number wise- per hundred thousand.....The government has many plans- and plans for plans- for every scenario.....I have seen the evac for Ft. Knox......many discs with all scenarios likely or unlikely listed and described.....a whole file drawer of them-kinda like pick your disaster and play the disc.....there are ways of reducing costs...I don't drink or smoke so fuel is about a dollar less a gallon for me and I stiff/ under tip waitresses to 10% max [dancing girls-somewhat more https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo...icon_smile.gif ]-that saved me $5k a year-eliminated bonus for employees another $8k a year-put off buying a new Freightliner tractor $85,000-rebuilt my lawn tractor $3500-Fired 2 guys because I was tired of hearing about their lack of opportunity[waaaaa] saved $24.00 and hour and workers comp for insurance-the more I think about it the more I can cut costs and buy more fuel for ME!....It seem that It is a matter of priorities and the number priority is ME!..... My X-wife said " now what yours is mine now and it's all mine"-she said she was "joking"....that's is why she is now the "X"....https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo.../icon_wink.gif....geofkaye