Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Default Which make of class 8?

Please bear with me as I am new to this type of truck. I have been reading a lot and have looked at the manufacturers web sites. All very interesting but what about some real life experience to help me narrow it down? I do like the looks of the new International lonestars but if they are as reliable as a FIAT with a ride to match ...

Thanks
Chris

cmkkh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #2

For our use as a camper I don't think the make of tractor is very important. I think cost and condition is more important. And features (i.e: transmission what you want?). If you're building your own rig it gives you pretty much freedom to buy the truck you want. If you're looking at one all done I don't think it matters so much. I haven't heard good things about the Lone Stars either. I agree they look cool. Are you looking at turn-key campers? or building one?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #3

Hi Bob,
More details, hmm I get it. So I am looking at using one to tow a fiver and carry a Jeep. I saw a pic of one the other day that was setup just like I envisioned but lost the web site. I forget the brand but it was blue over silver tandem rears with a custom bed to carry the jeep and it extended out a little to carry the fifth wheel hitch. I liked the lonestars sleeper most because of the couch that could become a bed or a dinette for two. Along with the mini fridge and the microwave wouldn't that qualify it as an RV? I have been reading some from the Meyers web site and from what I have read seems like an automatic tranny would work best. Also more than 400 hp and 1400lb ft of torque would work. As to the ride I wanted smooth but have read that while the Volvo's ride smooth they also tend to be very wishy washy in strong side winds or rough roads. As to the "build or buy" I am more in the "buy" camp but wouldn't mind being the organizer and getting it done at different shops if that would save money.
Thanks
Chris
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #4

The truck you are thinking of is called Bluenoser. It's a very nice build. Go to HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum and search for Bluenoser. There is also Rick W there with a similar build. There are a whole bunch of guys using real trucks to haul their campers. Great bunch of people there. And there are often built trucks for sale there too.

Tags
international, kenworth, peterbilt, volvo