Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 08-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #1

I really like the look of the cabover design when compared to the conventional. This red one here reminds me of a hot rod. The lines are smoother than a conventional. The way the front slopes rearward to the box.
http://truckconversion.net/photopost/showphoto.php?phot...ort=1&cat=500&page=5

http://truckconversion.net/photopost/showphoto.php?phot...edium&cat=500&page=5

Does anyone own a cabover conversion or truck they would convert?

Anyone have photos of cabover conversions they like to post and share?

Anyone agree/disagree?

Thanks

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #2

I have to agree on the cabover having definite appeal, though I will more than likely end up using a conventional more for logistical reasons than anything else. But the look of a not-too-long (18-20') coach behind a setback-axle cabover with a sleeper definitely has visual appeal.....

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:09 PM   #3

I prefer the conventional look personally but th main reason I'd stay away from cabover is ride. Never know a trucker that liked them. I also wouldn't want to deal with tilting the front to get ot the motor or the issues that would cause with a seal to the rear.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:27 PM   #4

Which are easier to work, cabovers or conventionals?

Will a cabover ever ride comfortable or are they doomed because of the seat being over the front axle?

And regarding the seal from the cockpit to cabin, there has got to be something that would work decently, unhook easily...yes?

How about this black show truck. This looks really cool.

http://truckconversion.net/photopost/showphoto.php?phot...ort=1&cat=500&page=1
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #5

Just came back from a 1 week trip to (my homecountry of) Austria and realized that 18 wheelers in Europe have 12 wheels, and ... NOT a single conventional cab.
ALL are COE. Volvo, MAN, Mercedes (Freightliner Argosy), Scania, you name it, all of them are COE. I guess they figured out how to deal with the problems.
Mainreason of course is space, nobody wants to "waste" the space the nose needs.
Walter
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by WalliK:
Just came back from a 1 week trip to (my homecountry of) Austria and realized that 18 wheelers in Europe have 12 wheels, and ... NOT a single conventional cab.
ALL are COE. Volvo, MAN, Mercedes (Freightliner Argosy), Scania, you name it, all of them are COE. I guess they figured out how to deal with the problems.
Mainreason of course is space, nobody wants to "waste" the space the nose needs.
Walter
Is there a European version website of Truck Conversions like this one?

How much more space do you pick up in a cabover and it is usable?

Anyone have pictures of cabover conversions that they'd like to post and share?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by WERA:
I prefer the conventional look personally but th main reason I'd stay away from cabover is ride. Never know a trucker that liked them. I also wouldn't want to deal with tilting the front to get ot the motor or the issues that would cause with a seal to the rear.
I agree. Like I said, the only real reason for the cabover, for me at least, is the visual angle. But for all the reasons you state(the so-called "logistical" ones I referred to) the conventional is clearly the winner. The cabover just has too much going against it.
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:26 PM   #8

.....I don't want to be the very first one at the accident site.....no way/ no how....looks are secondary to me..."Form Follows Function" I want that 500Hp heavy engine in front of me....If the European designers were so hot-then how come they aren't selling here.....Just like the guy working on the line at the carwash that gives me investment tips....." You Know what You should do....."-is always his opening statement......geofkaye
Old 08-30-2005, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by BravestDog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WalliK:
Walter
Is there a European version website of Truck Conversions like this one?

How much more space do you pick up in a cabover and it is usable?

Anyone have pictures of cabover conversions that they'd like to post and share? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yes i have a pic i like to share:

im from europe too; i can tell you that the eurotrucks drive like a POS (sorry )
they are fine on a smooth "Autobahn" but add speed, crosswind, bad roads and snow to the picture and you see why here in the west conventionals rule.
as a side note;
the governed speed limit over there is 80 kmh (50 mph)
btw
most euro trucks are 2 axle tractor and 3 axle trailer (with the trailer axles not set back ) very light pin/drive axle weight => a nightmare to drive on slippery roads .
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #10

Wow.. I opened a can of worms there. Did not mean to say cabovers were better, only that over there thats the only thing they are using. So either they figured out a way to deal with all the issues we dont like on COE's, or they never drove conventionals and therefore dont know any better.
Looks scary to me too to drive around in these things on autobahn and be the very front thing in an accident.
How much space you gain? Well, how big is your nose..5 to 7 feet, but thats a lot if you have lengh limitations not as generous as here.
Oh, the 3 axles on trailer are single wheels only, not duals, thats how you come up with "12 wheeler", 6 on the tractor as spooner said, 6 on trailer.
I guess Freightliner tried the market here with the (Mercedes) Argosy and had no success, so i think that answers a lot of questions.

Conversions on COE? What conversions? Im sure they exist over there if you search really hard, but the bigest thing you usually see on the road are class C with maybe 26 ft total lengh or so...

Walter

WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote