Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   considering a truck conversion (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/considering-truck-conversion-7308/)

DougD 07-06-2014 09:22 PM

considering a truck conversion

Greetings all....new member here.

I have been looking at class 8 truck conversions and I have premuch settled on a new showhauler. I travel around the county for work and I spend 10 months a year on the road. I have used mostly fifth wheel campers for years but they just don't stand up to the use and abuse, nor do the trucks I've used to tow them. I need a rig that is dependable and tough as nails. I also intend to pull a stacker trailer as I need a vehical and I bring my motorcycle, and when my wife comes we can pull here car to so she can leave when she's ready.

My question is....Does anyone else have any experience with using these rigs to the extreme that I will, and if so what are your thoughts. Remember that I'm likely to be in -30 degree winters in North Dakota to 110 degree summers in west Texas and everything in between. Not to mention putting 30k to 50k miles on the rig a year. How does the living areas hold up? Any issues with slides, doors, air conditioners, frames, suspension, ect ect

Thanks for the input.....

bushpilot 07-07-2014 01:04 AM

1st - WELCOME !

I can't vouch for the cold, but heat wise....no problem (and I'm on the low end compared to showhauler).

If I were gonna be in extreme cold id want insulated and heated gray/black tanks & even that won't likely be enough - i think you're gonna need to insulate what little plumbing there is under the coach.

at the end of the day these are class 8 OTR trucks - the engine trans & drive line are built for heavy service....30-50k a year is nothing for these coaches.

Gordy 07-09-2014 09:57 PM

It will be worth your time to visit the major manufacturers for yourself and ask to see how they are manufactured and what can be improved for your application.

andyg 09-21-2014 02:02 PM

The heavy duty chassis of a class 8 truck conversion or a bus conversion will suit your needs nicely and last for a long time.

Moody 09-23-2014 11:41 AM

My 2004 NewMar Kounty Star 36 has 12" of isolation in the basement. The most I've seen in any 5th wheel.

Merlin 02-11-2015 06:05 PM

Doug,
I may sell my unfinished custom motorhome sometime this year. It is built on a 2002 Volvo with Cummins 450 HP ISX. The motorhome (on extended chassis rails) is 45 feet O.A. length.
Insulated throughout with two inch thick extruded polystyrene, even the storage compartments. No propane on board. Heat is from Hydro-hot diesel fired furnace which heats water for domestic use as well as the three zones of heat exchangers in the salon and the garage. The garage has space for three motorcycles and when they are raised, a small car under the bikes. Three A/C units on the roof will cool the living space in Death Valley when you run the 10.50 Kilowatt generator.
Merlin Libby
merlinlib@aol.com