Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-26-2005, 06:41 PM   #1

Hey guys. I am interested in anyone who has taken a retired truck and built their own conversion. ANYONE?
Also Has anyone ever taken a Refer Trailer and turned it into a RV and pulled it with a retired Vintage truck.
I am looking for older vintage trucks. NOT you 2005 and newer guys.
ANY HINTS of where I can find info.

Tallcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #2

Over the years of travel I have seen campers converted on to truck chassis. I have seen very good conversions and some not so nice. I recent spotted am old Bull Nose Mac turned into a very slick toterhome and a matching trailer. I have purchased three Kentucky double drop trailers and created offices and moving star coaches.

I must admit I did not do each conversion myself. I paid companies that create mobile offices not mobile home or Rv conversion companies to complete the projects. They were not cheap! The oldest trailer I owns has been remodel twice. If you can afford to rebuild the old truck or locate a show truck you would have a very nice conversion that would not look like the cookie cutter versions seen on this site!

My advice would be to avoid travel trailer parts. To many of the modern day conversion are loaded with low quality RV parts. Shop of faucets at Home Depot not those cheap Rv crap! I purchase most of my parts at location that supply custom building materials.

Don't loose site of your dream! I am positive you will locate a company that will make your dream come true!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #3

RV Truckin since you do not appreciate the site.

YOU ARE BANNED!

Good bye
Old 10-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #4

Finally!!

I would not have been even that patient with this guy as you were. Got tired of reading his negative comments in every single thread now.

Lets hope he does not resurrect under different name.

So now lets go back to our normal discussions...

Walter
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:26 AM   #5

Hey I have doled out criticism and I am willing to take it, but if your going to hammer the site, provide no real substance, and be incessantly negative in every post.

Than it is time to go.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #6

Good show Bill,
those of us who care know this is one of the best sites for HDT/HDTconversions.. thanks
again
John
5erFool (John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #7

Ban his IP too if the BBS software will allow it, he's already signed in under another username. If you can, get me his IP's too, he's annoyed me enough to want to have some of my more web savvy friends go play with him
Old 10-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #8

Yea, i was afraid he would come back under different name.
Dont know what this guy's agenda is, its just stupid. Read his other post under his new name, just a repeat of old stuff. Stupid and ennoying.

Guess some people have really nothing better to do with their life, we should feel sorry for him.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:11 PM   #9

Actually it was 2 different people. And yes I have banned their IP addresses.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #10

Totally different IP's?

The wording and phrasing seemed way to similar but either way, useless people.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #11

Bye BYe, I wouldn't lie and say he'd be missed
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:18 PM   #12

Hey Gents.
For some strange reason this conversation makes No sense to me. I ask a question about conversions that people have done and it is like I am not even here and a conversation goes on about some guy who you seem to think is me. Not one of you have even come close to answering my question or given me any leads.I live near Walter in California.
I am not sure but seems like some motorcycle guy calls me USELESS PEOPLE. What is this all about. Come on be Brave and tell me what the Heck is going on here. or am I from another planet. If this is a closed club just say so and I will leave you to your game. Please let me know in Straight forward talk
Tallcrown
Old 10-27-2005, 06:39 PM   #13

Tallcrown -

It had nothing to do with you. The user RV Truckin was the problem.

Sorry you got caught up in it.

Check out this thread, these guys are buiding a very cool rig on their own.

http://truckhome.com/eve/forums/a/tp...4/m/3161081003
Old 10-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #14

Well, Tallcrown, looks like you got caught in some bad spot..

As you mentioned me (living close by) let me answer. The persons referred to by "some motorcycle guy" as USELESS PEOPLE was not you, but someother guy. If you follow the other recent threads you will find out that 2 other "members" just got banned. Take your time to read through all threads and you will get an idea who is who on here.

So where in Riverside are you anyway?

Walter

On Edit: Warpath just beat me to the explanation.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by Camping Dutchman:
Bye BYe, I wouldn't lie and say he'd be missed
Me neither. I even tried to get him to be reasonable in another thread (though, as it turns out, AFTER he'd been banned) but this is definitely for the best. His type is neither needed nor wanted around here.
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #16

Tallcrown

I have been watching this site for a few months! I became a member tonight to respond to your request. I retire from a major oil company. When they retired a good dry van many times they created living quarters and control centers. As you stated: "For some strange reason this conversation makes No sense to me". The guy they banded from the site today was correct.

Many commercial companies do convert dry vans. I had a new trailer built to commercial standards and converted it to an RV. Please help figure out how to email you a photo.
workinonbeinglazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:23 PM   #17

You have a trailer built to commercial standards and converted it to an RV? What do you pull it with.?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #18

Tallcrown, I am currently converting a kentucy type trailer to a race hauler with living quarters. Let me tell you, it is a lot of work. But I am totally happy doing it. The biggest problem is the stare time. I spend more time thinking about how things should be done than I actually do completing the task. But that is the way it should be I think. I looked at a lot of plans and RV's online before I decided what I wanted

If you have never owned an RV, it would be a good idea to get a cheap used one and take some trips with it first. This way you will get to know what RVing is like, what are some of the problems and hopefully come up with some answers to those problems. For me, it was that I will not be in a lot of campgrounds, but occasionally will stop at an RV park.

Mike

p.s. Warpath, two different IP addresses is not that hard. One at work, one at home, one at a friends house, one at the library, one at the internet cafe, etc...
Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:15 AM   #19

Sorry Tallcrown - my first response was to you, the rest was totally off topic for this thread.

Personally I'd love to convert a NASCAR style race hauler to a converion, make the entire shop area living quarters and then toys up in the "attic". Maybe even figure out how to do a slide in the drivers lounge area (that'de be the bedroom). But my only issue would be the DOT laws and dealing with them on a regular basis. It would alos have issues with length and ground clearance comapred to the current large 5'ers.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #20

Mr. Oakland !

Your advice is sound. "it would be a good idea to get a cheap used one and take some trips with it first" I am a third generation Rver. Many of the older parks are tough to get in and out of! We live in a very large Teton. Before we move the 40 plus foot unit I drive ahead and check out the Rv Park. Remember Rv parks are not set up like race tracks or Walmart parking lots! Some Rv parks would be out of the question with my class 8 toterhome and trailer!

Mike, your statement to warpath concerning the IP addresses. Each time anyone logs on using a dial up they get a differnt IP. You can diconnect your DSL modem and get a new IP each time you log on. There is IP spoofing software. In short anyone can change their Ip a hundred times a day.

txvolvodude is offline   Reply With Quote