Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-14-2005, 07:07 PM   #1

Al right now, how bout some inut on a CB. I am wired for one and with some longer trips coming up want to put one in. I had a cobra hand held controls one, but gave it away. I don't need the top shelf, but want good quality, weather alert etcc. Any suggestions?? What do you guys run?

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:22 PM   #2

Location: Anywhere south in winter, Custer,SD area in summer.

lots of people run the Cobra. Any Cobra would do you a good job. I think I have the XTD25 or something like that. Its not top of the line, but it works quite well & has the weather channels. Cost about $99.00. Don't get a real cheap one, you will wish you had gone a little more if you do. JMHO..
Mike

Mike McFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike McFall:
lots of people run the Cobra. Any Cobra would do you a good job. I think I have the XTD25 or something like that. Its not top of the line, but it works quite well & has the weather channels. Cost about $99.00. Don't get a real cheap one, you will wish you had gone a little more if you do. JMHO..
Mike
i second that
there is always a sale on one of them cobras at Flying J or any of the other major truck stops...
but if you want a real nice unit and perfect tuned aerials i would go to a CB shop
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:43 PM   #4

I've been iusing the Cobra 29's with really good results for years. Currently have a 29 with the night light and a 25 for the pickup.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:47 PM   #5

How bout a UNIDEN PC78LTW Bearcat 40 Chan. CB Radio Wheater Alert.. Opinons
Old 06-16-2005, 05:47 AM   #6

Uniden=Cobra. Same boards, chasis and cases. Knobs and names are the only difference between the radios.
Either one you can't go wrong.
That being said, I don't care for combined function radios. Particularly CB/WX. Kind of difficult to communicate a hazard while you're listening to the weather side.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:32 AM   #7

I went with the handheld in this truck with it's limited dash space.

I ran a Texas Ranger in the old truck which was tweaked and tuned from a online cb shop that I cannot find the URL of. That was a awesome radio.

In my Coachman motorhome I ran the Cobra CB/WX unit and of course did not read the instructions which are for people who want something to work properly. On the first outing with it I could here people but quickly found out that they could not here me. I later learned that I did not have a grounded antenna. The next outing we are running along and the weather turns real bad and everyone is talking about a tornado. Well every so often the damn cb would start screaming away and it was so loud I would have to turn it off. But I was dieing to find out about the tornado so after a minute I would turn it back on and with in a few minutes it would go off again. Finally turned it off because the winds are howling and rain and hail is falling and I got to keep my attention on the road.

I heard later from my brother who was following a few miles behind that we where within minutes of the tornado which crossed the highway behind us. About 6 months later I had it happen again and that time figured out it was the emergency weather alarm. Dang did I feel stupid.

You'd think that I would learn, but still hate those instructions.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #8

The columbia has it all pre wired up above in the head liner, should be splice and play. Thank You for the inout, I like the thought of having the weather along...