Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Default carrier rollback on toter for taking along car?

Anyone thought about using a rollback on the back to load and carry car/small truck? Or, maybe to load another box/garage?
MikeH

Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #2

How about a system like this? Instead of a dumpster box, it could just as easily be a flat platform for cargo or a car, or a solid box, or multiple attachments.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

Much more expensive than a simple deck and some ramps and a winch. And more to go wrong. And it'll take up a lot more room underneath for the hydraulics and such. Less room for storage bins. If you're going to pull a 5th wheel trailer I like the setup where they put a box on the frame and put a car in there. Look at the HDT Rally pictures of the trucks. There are three guys I know that do this. Jay and Vicky, Rick and Alana, and Rod. Jay puts a Focus in his garage. Rick puts a Tracker in his. And Rod puts a Mini in his.

None of those setups works for me though. I prefer the motorhome lifestyle. Much better for us cruising down the road in the living room.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

I talked to the owner of a used Kingsley Peterbilt motorhome for sale in New York a few months ago. I didn't get a good picture of it, but the owner described to me that Kingsley (or maybe someone else) had built into the back of the motorhome the "stringer" that you see on a rollback wrecker. All hydraulic. They said it reaches out and you can attach the tow car to it, the front of the tow car is picked up and the tow car rides on the back wheels. I presume just like pulling a little trailer. I think they had quite a bit of motorhome behind the rear axle to fit all the "stinger stuff".

I asked about pulling a trailer with the "stinger" ... as twice I've had the Sububan on the deck of the roll back and my 24' trailer on the stinger (10K or 11K pounds) so I know the stinger will pull a trailer. The owner said in effect, "It will nicely pull any trailer you probably want to pull!".

Novel idea. Anyone else ever run into anything like this?
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #5

i thought about putting a used roll off inside my motor home. i couldn't figure out what to put under it for when it was slid out. another problem was as you slid bed in someone could get in front of it or under it. if it was outside on a deck maybe it wouldn't be a problem. i think they were talking about $10,000 for a used one. hydraulics wouldn't take up much room.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #6

I think you are looking more for the concealed type wheel lifts like the repo guys mount underneath the bed of a standard pickup truck for stealth. My buddy bought one of those used a few years back and put it under his F350 dually with cap. Once it was on you couldn't really tell unless you were looking for the extra hardware hanging under the back. Slick set up. When retracted you don't see it. I would think something like that would just as easily mount under a motor home frame with a little fab work. You would wand to do some careful head scratching ahead of time to make sure it doesn't need to occupy the same space as something critical that is already there like a water tank. Also, I would want to check the specs on towing capacity and particularly tongue weight for the motorhome, you tongue weight is going to basically be the weight of the lift unit PLUS half of a car. No problem on a truck conversion, but most standard motorhome chassis don't have a lot of towing capacity. I know of 2 different guys in my business that literally broke the motorhome frame in half (one was a big pusher, one was a class c) towing too heavy of a trailer.

As to towing a trailer with the stinger, it is done all the time. I have been rescued with my dually on the rollback and trailer on the stinger. I used to have another buddy in the wrecker business, sold his dually and just used his medium wrecker to tow his 48' gooseneck with the stinger when he needed to. Admittedly not long distances, but still.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #7

Kingsley put stingers on a bunch of their coaches, I think. Here's one for sale: Lancaster 1999 Kingsley Coach Custom RV SemiTruck Limousine For Sale $119,900

Busesandmore.com is not far from my house. I looked at that Lancaster. It isn't too bad.

I think you need to make sure the car you put on the stinger has 0 degrees of camber in the rear wheels. If there is any camber when you lift the front end it will cause the rear tires to wear out very fast. I think.

I'm very close to the Mpls/Stpaul airport. And we're about an hour from Busesandmore. I'd be happy to pick anybody up at the airport and take them to Zimmerman to check out any of JD's rigs. I've got no connection with them. Just happy to help anybody look at truck conversions.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Kingsley put stingers on a bunch of their coaches, I think. Here's one for sale: Lancaster 1999 Kingsley Coach Custom RV SemiTruck Limousine For Sale $119,900
Nice stuff!

Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote