Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #1

Knowing how many blindspots and how difficult it must be to maneuver a big rig in tight areas...does anyone have cameras pointed towards the front bumper area, rear bumper area, right side, left side with tv monitors so you can see all these areas from the drivers area...?

So when you are making a right or left turn, changing lanes...you can see how much room you have to complete the turn or if the area is clear by looking at your dashboard monitors without having to look at your mirrors?

Are people using these systems in big rigs and does anyone here have such a system in their rig?

Thanks.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #2

we only have the rear one but I was starting to research the vorad system

www.vorad.com

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:46 AM   #3

I really do not need them other than the rear camera. By angling the mirros correctly and then using them, I can see down the entire length of the coach. When we are in a really tight area (i.e. some of the so called "big rig" sites) my wife will get out with our radios and be another set of eyes for me.

Personally I would think trying to look at all of the different monitors would be confusing and very expensive to instsall.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #4

Electronic gizmos like small cameras and monitors are dropping in price so they should be affordable.

I find that when trying to look across my truck into the right side mirror, when it is dark and rainy, mirrors wet or when the sun is setting and is at your back and the glare from the sun shines directly on the mirrors...I sometimes question what I am or am not seeing.

It seems it would be a lot easier on the brain to look at a monitor on the dash. You don't have to look as far, you don't have to take your eyes off the road as much, and the view should be better than looking through a wet mirror.

I think it would be helpful. You would know exactly how much space you have in front/ rear... and whether or not you need to back up to complete a turn...

Just some thoughts...
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:29 PM   #5

I bought a used Volvo VN with Vorad. the beeping made me crazy until I tried to make a right hand lane change and when i put on the turn signal the vorad beeped the "tripe beep". Looked again in the blind spot mirror off the end of the hood and there she was...a little Cavelier just waiting to be made into hamburger. Needless to say I didn't make the move and haven't cursed at the beeing since. I have used a rear camera and love it but i would get too confused with all the images coming at me from other cameras.
Tony

www.toolsetmotorhomes.com
anthony desnick is offline   Reply With Quote