Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Default Cab and chassis

Hey-I took my 22 ft work box off my Freightliner and am going to be driving a 256" wheelbase cab and chassis back east. What kind of a ride is this going to be? I could put a 4000 lb concrete block on the frame rails to keep the tires on the road, any ideas??

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #2

Got airbags on it or springs? If it has airbags you might be able to adjust the load sensing arm at the rear, that might soften it up a bit. you will want to watch for the rear tires skidding when you hit the brakes, going to be worse than running bobtail in a tractor. Hopefully the anti lock system will prevent that. The roads get rougher the further east you go..lol

Never thought about putting a block on there for the trip back. maybe set it across the frame rails on a piece of 3/4" ply and strap it down good. I am sure it would make the trip a lot more pleasant. With my luck some DOT officer would be convinced I was hauling concrete interstate without the proper ICC numbers..lol

Don't forget to let the builder know he will be the proud owner of an official "Great White North" paper weight as a token of your appreciation for building you an RV...Otherwise you might get home and lift up your bed and find it was built around the block...

Good luck and be safe on your journey.

Dave

Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #3

"great white north paper weight"- priceless.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

When I drove my cab and chassis back from Wisconsin it was rattling my teeth out until I lowered the tire pressure to about 70# in the front and about 60# in the duals on the 22.5's.. Made a BIG difference. We sell 19.5 dually wheel conversions and recommend the same thing to our customers running those on pickups for a better ride empty.

Hey, I'm looking for a box truck box to mount on my cab/chassis, just drop it off here in Ohio on your way by, that's better than the "paperweight" idea. I've come to the conclusion that I just don't have the time to build my perfect box from scratch, so I figure the easiest thing is a box truck box, just shorten the back end and fill in the back wall with an RV door. instant toter.

Dave
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #5

Hot Rod-I just finished taking the box off my truck, if we had gotten together sooner, it would have happened. Guess I am going to have a garden shed painted to match my motorhome-lol.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

Got the truck to Indiana last week. Seems the DOT guys like me, as I didn't have permits to run the interstates-oppps. Got a couple of permits at the weigh scales, 2 over the phone and ran the rest at night. Seems that as long as the truck is commercial, 3 axles or over 26000 lbs you need permits. BTW it cannot be registered as an rv until it is converted.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Can you expound on that? What kind of permits?
Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #8

All about the money.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #9

I know that......but what is the requirement?
Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #10

if you just bought truck you could have gotten a transit permit. maybe able to get one even if you had it titled it already.

volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote