Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #1

I'm trying to locate the requirements that CA DMV uses for changing a commercial vehicle like a E-350 Ford Van cutaway box van to an RV.

Does anyone know where I can find them online like the CA DMV website or elsewhere?

I can't get through to DMV through their 800 number and don't want to go there in person and wait in line for an hour just to be told they don't know...

Can anyone help address this matter please?

Thanks.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally posted by BravestDogoes anyone know where I can find them online like the CA DMV website or elsewhere?
I would ask Larry Ziegler (Onezman).

I think he resided in a state near California and has done some conversions in CA.

He will probably tell you better information than any DMV clerk.

Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can find them online like the CA DMV website or elsewhere?
Two possible sources:
DMV Guide
California DMV website
Old 05-24-2005, 01:28 PM   #4

I've been to the CA DMV website and am still unable to find the info on what qualifies a rig to be registered as an RV.

Somebody has to know.

Anyone here?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:17 AM   #5

what they told me is that is has to be a 'house car'. Simply put, it has to have the amenities to support living in it (bathroom, kitchen, sleeping quarters, etc.). You will need to have it inspected by the DMV to have it considered and registered as a house car or RV. The requirements are vague and I suspect that was on purpose.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc362.htm

Mike
Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:27 PM   #6

Thanks for your responses.

After spending time on the phone with DMV and being told they were all done with my questions, which they really never answered specifically, I went to DMV in person.

After waiting for 45 minutes to be called, I was seen by a desk person who got tired of my questions and forwarded me to her supervisor who did the best she could but still was not specific enough to address the details. I even asked if I could talk to the person who makes the decision whether or not a vehicle passes. She told me she was one of the persons.

So they handed me form titled "Miscellaneous Certifications" go to section E "Certification of vehicle for human habitation" and is says:

"Human habitation is living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms"

So I asked "what is a kitchen unit or fixture" what is the definition...specifically what does it mean?

"what is a bath or toilet room" what is the definition...

I asked if a bucket or portable toilet be considered a toilet and a garbage can that you stand in to bathe a bath...I told her my needs were simple. I don't need all the glitz and glamour...

can water be gravity fed into a sink from above or does it need a pump?

is a microwave oven ok instead of a gas/electric unit? I mentioned that fires in a small space like this can be potentially dangerous and it's always safer to cook outside if you have an open flame.

could a coleman stove on a plywood table be considered a kitchen unit...?

do I need high tech holding tanks or is a bucket under a sink ok?

she went to this big blue manual, got lost looking for the answers I was asking, and after 45 minutes, she told me she was all done with me and for me to consult with the Dept of Transportation...I admit she was nice and was trying her best but she had other customers to deal with and my questions were a bit too much for her.

So I left with a rough idea, but wanted more details.

So there you have hours of work in a nutshell.

Would anyone like to comment on their experiences with this type of matter?
Old 05-26-2005, 03:45 PM   #7

Sounds to me ( NOT that I'm right!) that they're giving you a LOT of leeway in how you do the conversion. That said, they're also gonna look for those trying to weasel out of getting commercial tags for a unit "disguised" as an RV only as a deceptive ruse(it happens!). An open freight box with a Coleman stove, a Porta-Potti, and a sleeping bag thrown down on the floor do NOT a motorhome make! I think you get my drift. A conversion that shows a little effort at doing a good job is much more conducive to getting the DMV nod. It involves a heavy dose of common sense.
Happy truckin'!
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:36 PM   #8

Gary I agree with you.

DMV puts in writing what they want to see inside an RV, leaves it somewhat vague to be flexible and then leaves it up to the individual to build it as they see fit for the space.

It's actually a nice win-win situation when you think about the flexiblity they give you. If you come up to 80-90% of the complete system they are likely to pass you just to get you out the door and on your way.

Here is what CA DMV says again:

"Human habitation is living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms"

from the CA DMV form:

"Miscellaneous Certifications, Certification of vehicle for human habitation"
Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #9

It could be easier if you belong to AAA and go in when they are NOT busy. They certified my out of state non Calif motorcycle and the DMV usually makes you go to the CHP to get inspected. It is well worth the cost just for the DMV help

rt66paul is offline   Reply With Quote