Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-18-2004, 07:05 PM   #1

Hi I am new to the board and I have seen some real nice toys some of you have. I just purchased a Peterbilt 379 with a series 60 Detroit and 18 speed. I don't know if I should build this unit from scratch or like some I've seen, they actually started with a late model travel trailer. They de-skin the trailer, mount it on the truck with all the necessary mod's then re-skin with smooth skin c/w some stainless trim and accessories and it's done. That way most of the interior is all done (although a lot flimsier and cheaper built than starting from scratch).
Looking for any suggestions from those that have more "been there done that" experience.
thanks,
Bernie

shinyblackpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:29 PM   #2

Bernie.....following your thinking-I'd suggest you buy several trailers because after a few weeks on the road the travel trailer will fall apart and will need to be replaced....after all they are just sticks and staples and maybe some glue here and there....I' sugest if you want to start a project that you at least get a van box mounted on the frame rails and then redue the interior with the guts of a travel trailer-beefing them up as you go.....IMHO...geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion Geof. I was kind of thinking the same thing about not being a sound enough structure for reliability down the road.
I seen on one of your previous topics you were looking for body parts like roof rails, panels, corners, etc. Did you ever source a good supplier for these parts? Also what about a good supplier for doors and windows for the conversion? I'm quite sure I should go with building everything from scratch. It will be better in the long run. If I build all the tube frame-work ready for the exterior skin do you or anyone have suggestions on securing the panels to the frame?
thanks,
Bernie
Old 01-19-2004, 08:47 PM   #4

Bernie....here in Cincinnati I have access to parts.... in Canada your locals might have even better contacts and shipping wouldn't be a problem also the tax issue wouldn't pop up along with the .77 cents to the USD issue...ugg....anyway look around for Rod Snaith at "Snaithfarms' and/or "WildCat Diesel Products"....he's a good old cowboy that knows his parts and has connections....he is on the Dodge DiRT List also.....geof
Old 01-20-2004, 09:11 PM   #5

The doors most of you use on your conversions, are they the same type of door as on a regular production RV or travel trailer? Also the exterior skin, if it is bonded on with something like a urethane adhesive, using 4' wide panels, how does a guy deal with the seams? A slight overlap?
Appreciate some advice.
thanks, Bernie
Old 01-20-2004, 09:53 PM   #6

The doors that W&M use they make themselves....the adhesive is a 3MProduct pinkish color and a bear in a windy shop.....2 sided monster whipping around in the breeze untill you learn to peal one side at a time.....ALSO there must keep NO contact between the aluminum panel and the steel frame at all even with larger panels unless you are using screws/pop rivets-which rust and loosen up some times....if there is contact you get white rust which eats the panel up.....use packing tape on the steel frame after painting to insulate it from the aluminum.....geof
Old 01-21-2004, 08:52 PM   #7

Thanks for the info Geof. Do you know the name or part # of the 3M adhesive tape? Also what are you guys using for a roof skin? One piece aluminum I would assume? How should the roof skin transition into the walls? Any suggestions? I did find a local RV parts supplier with some radius cornered doors and windows to choose from.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 PM   #8

the aluminum roof just lays on top of the steel frame and the edge piece screws through the top into the steel frame which has a silicone type sealer applied and then screwed to the side of frame overlapping the siding sheeting again sealed with a silicone type sealer....I'll get the 3M tape product name and number next week when I'm in Indiana....geof
Old 01-22-2004, 06:30 PM   #9

hi guys mase. i've got 2 cases of sikaflex 21 and they are 2 months past date ,still works great, but i'll give to anybody who wanys them. i'm leavin to go to fl in the mornin so who ever wants them call my wife alie with shippin' inst'sn. the # 540-672-4342 oh i'd be great if you could pay shipping. thanks mase

vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote