Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Bought New Rear Tires (8) for my T/C (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/bought-new-rear-tires-8-my-t-c-7478/)

38Chevy454 10-20-2015 11:33 PM

Bought New Rear Tires (8) for my T/C

My rear tires were far from being worn, lots of tread left. But they were 2004 mfg date, and I am pretty sure original to the 2005 chassis. They were Bridgestone, and were getting some quite visible sidewall cracking near the bead area. I only bought mine earlier this year, so this was one thing I have been wanting to do, even though I put about 5000 miles this summer on the Bridgestones.

So to avoid any potential road blowout, or body/wheelwell damage, I bit the bullet and got 8 new rear tires installed last Friday. Purchased General S360 model, made in USA, 11R22.5 size. Mounted and balanced, tax and all new valve extensions came to $3300.

I previously had upgraded my fronts to 315/80R22.5 to get back some safety margin on the front axle loading. The original 11R22.5 were actually overloaded past the max load. I have 14,600 lbs on front axle, and 20,600 on both rear axles. The ironic thing is the rear tires are so underloaded, about 40% of rated load. I may have been able to run the Bridgestone tires longer, but did not want to take the chances. I like to run around 70-75 mph and feel better with the new tires. Although my wallet does not feel better :( Oh well, gotta pay to play ;)

jasong 10-21-2015 01:41 AM

Yeah,I did the same thing with our trailer this spring.
6 tires were expensive, but a blowout on the road would've been worse.

bushpilot 10-21-2015 05:55 AM

I need to replace the rears on mine (4) - they're aged out by most standards & opinions, but show absolutely no signs of cracking or wear.

I replaced my steer tires 2 years ago because they were showing some pretty significant signs of vertical fractures. I replaced the steers with Michelin XZA2's.

Ive been using 303 Aerospace Protectant / UV blocking spray on the tires when we park outside & and i don't cover the tires.

Hurricane95 10-21-2015 04:34 PM

Bush, who stocks the Aerospace protectant? I need some right now, as mine sits outside as well.

bushpilot 10-21-2015 04:52 PM

i get it from amazon (prime) & have it in 2 days, 3 at the most.
camping world carries it as do some automobile parts shops & napa.

38Chevy454 10-21-2015 05:17 PM

I also use the 303 protectant. Not sure it is really that much different than others, but it does claim to offer UV protection. I have some plywood covers I use to shield my tires when parked at home.

I bought a gallon jug of the 303 off amazon like Don suggested, and refill an old spray bottle. The 303 is not a super glossy finish, but it certainly is somewhat shiny. It is a lot like the old Armor All, not the low-gloss AA. In fact the 303 is a white watery liquid, just like AA.