Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 01-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

Default Bone Stock vs Upgrades vs Factory Upgrades

The DW and I haven't even had a full season in our TC and we are already talking about upgrades that we want to do, AND our next TC.

My question: Strictly from a re-sale perspective, is it better to keep a unit stock, perform upgrades, or only have the factory perform the upgrades?

Our wish list:
Led storage lighting.
Upgraded interior lighting
Complete Electronics Upgrade (TVs, DVD, stereo, speakers, surround sound, etc.)
Conversion of outside Entertainment Center to storage with a pull out slide.
Addition of a pull out slide to other storage compartment.

I can certainly perform these upgrades and/or seek out professionals as needed, however we want to retain as much re-sale value as possible.

For me, finding the original build sheet in my TCs documentation and seeing that everything matched up with no piecemeal modifications was a strong selling point. Therefore, I am thinking that the little extra time and money it may cost to get the factory to perform the upgrades and provide the corresponding documentation, may be the way to go.

I welcome your thoughts on the topic. Thanks

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

All of the modifications you list are relatively minor and do not involve modifying the structure or mechanical systems of the coach. Assuming the work is done and finished in a professional manor I can't imagine hurting the value of the coach. I would think any buyer would be glad to have those sorts of upgrades.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #3

i don't know why you WOULDNT do those upgrades....*I* have!

you might not get the money back but you'll enjoy it more and when/if you sell yours will attract more attention/traffic and sell faster !
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #4

Thanks for the insights
Old 01-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

a couple of years ago i ditched all the 12v incandescent "toe kick" & ceiling mirror (rope) lighting....the bulbs were burnt out randomly.

for the Toe-Kick upgrade / retro fit: I bought some "rigid" (white) LED strips (20 inches or so per length) and soldered them together & then used some dbl sided body side molding tape to apply the LED strips...its worked VERY well (i even used the existing wiring and switch)

the LED's i used were a but high in color temp (if or when) i do it again i might use a warmer colored LED.

I also found that the toe-kick lighting is so bright that it creates a lot of glair off the front windshield at night (when driving)...so i ADDED a strip of RED flexible SMD LEDS (the kind available in a roll with the adhesive backing already on)....the RED works well....doesnt blind me w/ glare while driving.

When i replaced the lighting in the ceiling mounted mirror i used a multi colored (RGB) self adhesive/flexible LED strip...we call it the DISCO mirror....we don't use it, it's a novelty at best.

i used the same flexible LED RGB self-adhesive led strip (16.5 feet long) under outside awning too - and its holding up well (i did a write up here too).

I think I've mention the slide-out that i built for the cooler (there are threads on that install on this site too)...and it is my intention to build at least one or two more slide out platforms for my toolbox and possible the grill.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #6

I am experiencing the same problem with the rope lighting. I figured the color temp when switching to LED would be a concern. I'll try to find a warm white.

I just have pea lamps for toe kick. I'm hoping to just upgrade those bulbs if possible. Thanks for the heads up on the glare. For some reason, I am very sensitive to glare and noise from the back when I am driving. Nothing like the sound effects in some action movie making you think the truck is falling apart!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #7

I'm lazy - so i made sure any LED's i used were 12vdc such that i could leverage the existing wiring (w/out having to wire in anything extra).
Old 01-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #8

heres the single color/white (rigid led strips i used)...i used them in the
storage bins & under the toe kick.

I soldered some together for longer runs & cut a couple where i needed a short length.

12V 75-LED White Light Strip (50cm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
Old 03-02-2016, 05:58 AM   #9

I confess that I had decided not to do the work. I wanted it done by Renegade. However, after a month of back and forth, I've given up on Renegade for now. The folks were nice enough, but getting them to quote anything was like pulling teeth. In short, I got the distinct impression that they really didn't want the work. All they got really excited about was adding an AquaHot system (they will quote that while you are on the phone!). I would do it, if I had the space to give up, but I don't.

So, the ten year old outside entertainment center is history. New JL Audio 6.5s went into the side of the truck over the weekend along with a new JBL dash mount receiver in the bay. I am "geezerly" beyond my years, but I'm still digging the Pandora/Bluetooth connection already! Fabricating the new "mini" entertainment center box begins this weekend.

The Led fixtures and bulbs have begun to show up on the doorstep.

I have spec'd out slide-master storage slides, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. So far I've re-checked my measurements twice. They are a bit spendy in my book, so I'll probably check my measurements AGAIN, call them AGAIN, then pull the trigger.

I have an appointment today with one of the better HiFi shops in our little town to take a look at an interior surround sound system upgrade.

I am still shopping for an led replacement for the interior rope lighting. Bushpilot: If you re-read this thread: did you determine the right color rating to get them to match the existing incandescent rope? I would prefer that the rope be a touch brighter, but i want to stay warm white as I think the "whiter" light would not look good on all that oak cabinetry.

With fishing season just starting to warm up around here, it would have been nice to just drop the truck in Indiana and pick it up when it was done. Alas, it appears that I'll be monkeying with the truck instead of wetting a line.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #10

Cool

I think nrc will do updates.

motoguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote