Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   "Big Rig Friendly Campgrounds" revisited...sort of (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/big-rig-friendly-campgrounds-revisited-sort-7511/)

petrel 01-04-2016 02:49 PM

"Big Rig Friendly Campgrounds" revisited...sort of

I'm wondering if anyone has a list or knows of a source for a listing of big rig friendly campgrounds. I've searched with Google, on here, and on a couple RV sites with limited success. Google search seems to only produce dated information.

To me, a big rig is anything 30-45' plus a trailer. So far, it is only when I hang a trailer on the back that I begin to encounter some difficulties. I know you can always call ahead and plan ahead. However, sometimes it would be nice to narrow the list of potential sites.

My utility trailer gives my rig an overall length of about 67 feet. Which appears to be nothing for racers, pullers, and fans of those sports, but for campers (or at least this camper) it can pose a bit of a problem.

Mntom 01-04-2016 07:52 PM

You could try this site: Big Rig RVing

petrel 01-04-2016 10:17 PM

Have you used that? I ran across it during my search, but could not find any recent mention of it on the forums I visit.

Mntom 01-05-2016 08:42 AM

LOL, no, with my little truck and trailer I don't need to worry about that.... YET. Here is another one that seems to have decent info: HHRV Campgrounds - Locator Map

tgdameron 01-05-2016 09:30 AM

Good Sam Club has a trip planner that allows you to filter on various features, one of which is big rig friendly. Also try Woodalls.com.

hot rod 01-05-2016 02:31 PM

Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica

we use that one for florida state parks in particular, but they also handle some private campgrounds and a lot of other states. Unlike a lot of campground reservation sites you can reserve your exact site and there are pictures of the site. you can filter by length of your rig, but I've found that they list site length from usually 5' from the road back to the end of the pad/gravel. So for example if you are 67' but you have 8' of overhang between your back axle and the end of the trailer put in 54' because that can overhang the grass on the site, and park with the bumper right at the road if needed. MOST of the time it is not a hard limit like trees, but just the edge of the gravel. I normally double check on google earth when looking for a long campsite. We are at 60' if I don't want to unhook the tow rig.

petrel 01-06-2016 06:05 AM

Thanks to all for the guidance. I'm determined to find somewhere warmer to spend a long weekend.

bushpilot 01-07-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mntom (Post 44867)
You could try this site: Big Rig RVing

that site looks like someones personal travel blog...and its not a complement.

i couldn't find any information about any campgrounds or recommended campground...each region and state info just repeats the same crap from the others (and provides links....w/ no details or recommendations).

I've been updating TripAdvisor with "big rig friendly" in the title anytime we stay someplace - and i provide pictures with my reviews (mostly because i saw someone complain that a campground wasn't big rig friendly....they were wrong imo).

rv.net/forum seems to have some good info - and the audience is significant enough that you could make queries of the members "going to sedona - whats a good big rig spot" and I'm sure someone would give you their opinion.

locations w/ slots larger than 50 or 60 feet in length are pretty uncommon in my experience - so at a minimum you'd have to drop the trailer in another slot or someplace else w/in the campgrounds.

bushpilot 01-07-2016 09:46 AM

Petrel - are you in (Spotsylvania) Virginia ?

I could make some florida panhandle recommendations but i think you're gonna need to go further south for any kinda warmth this time of year. I know John just spend Christmas at cypress trail rv - it looked pretty nice, and the slots must be big (he double tows an H2, and trailer w/ a Golf Cart on it).

petrel 01-07-2016 05:38 PM

Yes, Virginia.

That Cypress Trail looks nice, although I've never been a fan of facilities where there are owned and transient sites mixed.

bushpilot 01-07-2016 05:47 PM

HA ! i grew up near Front Royal, lived there for years and still have lots of family and excuses to be back there.

petrel 01-07-2016 06:36 PM

Pretty country over there.

bushpilot 01-11-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrel (Post 44886)
Pretty country over there.

heres some of my reviews & pictures: Bushpilot Reviews - TripAdvisor

petrel 01-12-2016 06:47 AM

Nice reviews. Perdido key is only fourteen hours away from us. I'd like to at least head that way until the thermometer stays in the 60's and stop wherever that occurs.