Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   best truck to use for a 28' converison (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/best-truck-use-28-converison-7304/)

mike&joanna 06-24-2014 09:17 AM

best truck to use for a 28' converison

what the best truck to use for a 28' conversion

Bob86ZZ4 06-25-2014 05:34 PM

Impossible to answer. Like saying, "what's better, ford of Chevy?" (like that I didn't cap ford for you BlizzardND?). I can give you what I would suggest is the best. Buy one that is already built as close as possible to what you want. You can build your own. But you are going to spend twice as much as you think you will, and it will take you twice as long to build it as what you think it will. Now, there are lots of guys around here that are building, or have built, their rigs. And I would bow down in honor to any of those guys because they have WAY more skill than I could ever imagine. But, most will agree with my above statement about time and cost.

Big Mike 08-24-2014 06:06 PM

If this helps setback front axel trucks will have a better turning radius. this is important with a 300+ wheelbace when getting around some campgrounds, also some trucks turn a lot shorter than others

Kenn 08-25-2014 10:34 AM

what truck to use

1 Attachment(s)
I would ask the following questions, what will the conversion be used for?, who will drive it?, will you be towing with it (how much weight)?, what trucks do you like and why?. If you build your own don't try to save money on the truck you pick because the amount of savings will shrink as the amount of $$$ you spent goes up. As stated above it takes a lot of time and money to do a conversion. Take your time finding the right truck to start with. I have just past the four year mark with my project and I still have a bit to go. Good luck Kenn

bushpilot 08-25-2014 01:09 PM

I wouldnt worry about the turning radius - we can go anywhere a pusher can go....and at the end of the day, thats why i have reverse....Ive gotten into & out of some very tight spaces....if you're not comfortable - select another camping slot.

many trucks have steer axles that increase the turning angle once you reach a certain point...that is to say they the front axle turns the wheel sharper just before the limit of their turning radius.

andyg 09-21-2014 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=bushpilot;42801]I wouldnt worry about the turning radius - we can go anywhere a pusher can go....and at the end of the day, thats why i have reverse....QUOTE]

I have to disagree BP. My 12' conversion is built on a 1989 FLD120 chassis. The over all length is 30' and wheelbase is about 300". The only complaint that I have is the turning radius on this chassis SUCKS! It hurts more when I'm pulling a trailer with a combined length or 58'. I'm seriously thinking about finding a different front end for this truck. I can put my Dad's 40' Prevost on places that my toter will not think of going into.