Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #1

Default bad vibration after moving air bags

Hi any help would be nice! I have a bad vibration . I moved my air bags as the last owner had them almost sideways lol.. and now when i mash on the gas around 40 to 70 i get a bad sound and a vibration..

any help would be nice.. I had all my ujoints replaced and carrier barring .. still having the problem.

1996 volvo m11

Old 10-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #2

Have you checked the driveshaft for straight and balanced?

Old 10-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

I'll start by telling you I'm not an expert on air bags. I do have quite a bit of experience with suspension geometry. To me, those air bags look to be way over inflated, putting your suspension at the extreme end of its travel. It would not be uncommon with a sprung suspension for the springs to be at a bad angle at one extreme or the other of the suspension travel.

Are your air bags lined up properly (or were they) at some point midway through the suspension travel?
asitool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

Just read your other thread.... Cameras are cheap. Try installing a camera to watch how the suspension moves under hard acceleration. You might be surprised how things that seem immovable move under acceleration!
asitool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #5

How did you move bags? Did you change height? Get me your last 8 of Vin# and I can tell you. How to measure height.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #6

I agree those bags look far overextended. No way you should see the joint of the bag to the base sitting there at normal ride height (assuming the pic was taken at ride height). when it is stretched all the way out like that the rear has no down travel. In general terms, it should be midway through it's range of travel so the rear can go through normal up/down travel. If you have the part number for the bag the manufacturer catalog will tell you the correct installed height (at rest) as well as the max extended and compressed lengths.

My suspicion is the previous owner has the suspension overextended via air pressure or leveling valve position to make the ride height somewhat higher than it should be either to "look" level with a full bed, or to get a certain hitch height. Which would explain a drivetrain vibration, all the angles would be out of wack at full extension like that, but would not explain why it changed. While the air bad being at an angle is not good as it will increase wear on the rubber sleeve as it moves, it really shouldn't affect drivetrain angles or vibration.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote