Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #1

Default Arizona Title Troubles

My name is Kris. I am new to the forum and seeking some advice. I purchased a 1988 international. It was once 148” wheelbase with a Cummins L10 and a 7 speed tranny. The GVRW is 32000lbs. In 2006 I.W.C did a conversion that stretched the wheelbase to 276”, added a 12’ box and a custom built bed with a goose neck ball. The tag in the door from the conversion says front axle is 9000 lbs and the rear axle is 12000lbs. The truck has an 8000kw generator, A/C, heat, refrigerator, sink, microwave, stove, shower, TV, 2 beds, black and grey water tanks. I have a Kansas title that is registered as an RV. It even has Kansas RV plates on it. I took it to the Arizona DMV and they have a hold on the title from 2006 stating that someone tried to register it in Arizona as an RV. The inspector says that this vehicle will not qualify as an RV and has to be registered as a tractor. I am wondering if anyone can provide some advice as to how this vehicle should be registered. I will be using it to pull a 48’ Vintage enclosed trailer with my toys to the sand dunes.

Thanks in advance,
Kris

LakeShakeFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Sounds like the truck never really left Arizona, and the previous owner ran into titling problems in the past. Probably "sold" it to someone in an RV friendly state, had it retitled as an RV in that state, and "bought" it back as an RV. Your problem is Arizona is already wise to your particular truck. I don't know about AZ in particular, but some mention has been made on the forum that some states will now not allow an RV title if it has a fifth wheel installed. Have you inquired about if you remove the fifth wheel and convert to a "ball hitch"? You will really mean gooseneck, but ball is the appropriate legal term as opposed to fifth wheel. That may fix the problem. Or remove the hitch entirely to get the inspection done. With no hitch it is just an RV missing a big square piece of the box coincidentally in the area a fifth wheel would go on a semi, right?

All that aside, you may be out of luck, my local DMV here in OH has a picture taped to the wall of a full blown Renegade toter home with big magic marker "this is not an RV!".

Good luck!

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #3

In Arizona an RV cannot have a 5th wheel hitch or gooseneck hitch. They can only have bumper pull style hitches.
You will probably have to register as commerical truck, used as non commerical.
You could remove the goose neck hitch, cover where it went. Tell them you are only going to pull with a bumper style hitch and then they would have to make it an RV if it meets all their other requirements. Just don't get caught pulling anything but a bumper style trailer.
Or get with your state representive to get this stupid law (policy) changed.
RaceItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #4

check out the escapees.com forums for hdt conversions. A lot of those guys use semis to pull their fifth wheel rv trailers and have run into and/or solved some of these legal issues to tow their legitimate rv trailer.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote