Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > Truck Conversion General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #1

Default Anyone Replaced/Upgraded Drivers Seat?

Wondering if anyone here has replaced or upgraded their drivers (and possibly) passenger seat?

As I age (there I admitted it) - I'm discovering that my legs get cramped if not get a bit tingly - I need a longer seat bottom (adjustable thigh support or a cushion that can be lengthened).

Im considering a seat upgrade and wondering if anyone has done it & what things I might need to consider.

I figure, worst case, I can take the (upgraded) seats to the next coach or pull 'em and sell 'em separately and make a little of my money back.

I am considering the Minimizer but would be open to any other suggestions -

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #2

We got different seats then stock with our truck since we wanted to be able to rotate them 180 to be part of our living area. Freightliner stopped offering them. We ended up with National Seating https://www.nationalseating.com. You might be able to find a dealer that has sample seats. The dealer installed them for us so we didn't do the install but had to fix it. The control box for the seat wasn't secured very well so the passenger one got crushed when turning the seat around. National sent me a replaced free of charge. My wife likes the heated seat. The base is adjustable out and in and tilts. Not a soft and plush seat but driving 12 or so hours a day works fine for me. The back has lots of adjustments. Wish it could recline more for resting/napping (passenger side). I guess they figure most trucks have more stuff behind them versus our pickup truck or car. I've had to take them out to fix the control box. So it seems pretty simple to install. I don't know if RV seats could work. On their web site they have a fit tool. Ours has arm rests which is nice. I think ours is the Admiral. The only thing I don't like is that passenger side swivel squeaks when it is latched straight ahead and no one sitting it in. I need to fix that. Greasing didn't help. So we turn it a bit when we get out while traveling. We also put in a removable table between the seats so it an extra eating whatever area when parked. We have the ultra shift so no shifter in the way.

Doug A.

Doug Ambrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #3

we have bostrom seats which have only the basics - one mechanical lumbar, air ride and swivel. Our seats recline but thats pretty much useless since you can't recline very far (and I dont need it anyway).

both seats have arm rests but there is no adjustment and honestly the angle isn't right for me.

I need a longer seat bottom (or adjustable/extendable thigh support).
I would like to have cooling in the seat (dont need heat, since were in Texas and rarely drive where it is cold.... but it seems you can't get cooling w/out heat)

I like the massage feature of the minimizer, our F350 has massaging seats and they have done wonders in keeping the circulation going on really long runs (I like to drive...so if i dont stop unless we need fuel...700-800 miles at a time)...if I need to "go" we'll pull into a rest area and walk around, but thats rare.

Im starting to look at other brands too

KNOEDLER is supposed to the "the best" (and its a few 100 less than the minimizer).
Prime Seating is another one thats really caught my attn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2JqIkMaZC4Q
Old 05-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

The seats we have have adjustable angle on the arm rests, move them up, then all the way down, lift a little to lock into that position. I find them comfy. They list the dimensions on their site so you can compare them to what you have. I think the seat pan moves forward something like 3" from memory. I could measure it at home. I've tried the massage but wasn't really impressed with that. They didn't have the cool option. I haven't found that to be an issue. Air dash AC does a good good of keeping things cool. I'm tall and they fit well.

I like our 120G tank. Very little stopping for fuel.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #5

Doug - does your Admiral have the BackCycler system is it any good?

what about the seat cushion (bottom) extension like it?
what about the side bolstering is it adjustable?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #6

Sorry, final got a chance to measure it. From the front of the back to the front of the seat base retracted is 17". When extended it is 19". There isn't any adjustment in between but tilt might effect that a bit.

I'm not a fan of the BackCycler. Neither of my wife or I use it. I think my wife likes it a bit more. It could be that it works better in the passenger seat. I find it inflates and deflates to much to be comfortable pushing into my lower back to much.

The side bolsters are pretty good on the back and the base. Both are air adjustable. The back has 3 air adjust able sections for the bottom, middle and top sections. So it pretty adjustable and easy to get adjusted. The cycler adjusts those sections.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #7

thanks Doug!

sounds like our '17 Ford F350 Platinum seats...air blatters - 6 on the seat bottom, 8 on the back...its like a (weak) cat kneading your back...my wife hates it, for me - it stimulates the circulation enough.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #8

I've got Bostrom Wide Ride seats in mine. Took out the crappy Flexsteels that came with it. I went to a large Peterbilt dealer where they had a bunch of seats in the showroom to try out. Spent quite a bit of time sitting there. The Wide Ride is good for me. The arm rests are angle adjustable. There is a large wheel inside a recess underneath side of the arm rest. Stick your finger into the fabric cutout and roll that wheel either way to adjust the stopper. Maybe your Bostrom's have that already? I also got the fabric ones. I'm not fond of leather or fake leather seats. I put an air valve shutoff on each air line. One of my Bostroms the buttons for the air ride and two lumbar pillows leaks sometimes. Also makes it easier to remove the seat when working on stuff and not having to dump all the air on the rig.

One other note on the Bostrom seats. I bought my first one at the dealer. Then later my son spotted one on Craigslist for $50, same seat. So I bought that for the wife. Noticed it allowed almost full recline and my driver's seat stopped at about 45-50 degrees. I sent an email to Bostrom and they replied with directions how to remove the allen bolt stop on the recline mechanism. Wow, wish I had known about that 14 years ago (I bought my driver's seat in '04 and put it in my Allegro, then switched it to the United Specialties).
Old 05-24-2018, 05:31 AM   #9

Thats a good idea. I never understood why the seats were plumbed directly into the air system without a shut-off.

We have Flex Steel seats on Bostrom Bases. Not happy with this arrangement, but I hope to put a little more wear and tear on them before switching them out.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #10

Ours Bostom seats have armrests but they are not adjustable...

They have a mechanical lumbar (firmness) but it doesnt really hit either my wife or I in the right spot.

Other than ride height, and dampening of the air ride ours are no-frills seat.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #11

My Bostrom seat arm rests are adjustable. On the underside there is a split in the cloth upholstery and you stick your finger in there and there is a large knurled threaded ring thing. You turn it one way to allow the arm to come down further, the other way stops it sooner. I guess that's the best way I can think to describe it. Look under your arm rests and see if there is an opening.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #12

Another important feature for me is the height of the back rest. Many of the seats I sat in the back didn't come up high enough. I'm not a real tall guy either. I just don't like to rest my head back and not have it completely resting on the face of the seat.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
My Bostrom seat arm rests are adjustable. On the underside there is a split in the cloth upholstery and you stick your finger in there and there is a large knurled threaded ring thing. You turn it one way to allow the arm to come down further, the other way stops it sooner. I guess that's the best way I can think to describe it. Look under your arm rests and see if there is an opening.
bob I understand what your talking about & ive seen the adjusters - mine do not have adjustment or adjusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Another important feature for me is the height of the back rest. Many of the seats I sat in the back didn't come up high enough. I'm not a real tall guy either. I just don't like to rest my head back and not have it completely resting on the face of the seat.
my seats are high back with an integrated headrest.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #14

Got it, sorry.