Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #1

Default Any info on LEGEND Conversions

Hi,
I am looking at purchasing a Legend conversion garage unit motorhome with a MB motor. I have searched the web looking for information on these units but I can not seem to find many. I found this website for the dealer :

Becks Custom Coach & Trailer

The seller said its the same as united specialties. Can anyone confirm this or help with any info as to the quality of this conversion. It looks really nice but I would like some info. Thanks !!

gate9869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #2

Well, I don't know anything about Legends. I went to that link and they look pretty nice. The construction looks very similar to my United Specialties. United Specialties went out of business in about 2009 I believe. I visited their factory mid '09 and it was located in White Pigeon, Mich. Your link for Beck's has a link to Legend's home page. I went there and their site only says they make trailers. There is nothing about truck conversions. Odd. It says they are located in Eureka, Mich. Googler puts that 138 miles from White Pigeon, Mich. So, I don't know what, if any, connection there is between United Specialties and Legend. I don't think I've ever seen a United Specialties coach with that molded one piece rear cap. But I haven't seen that many United's. I have a flier for their rigs from 2009 that I'll check to see if they started putting that one piece rear cap on (I have the flier in my rig and won't be going to my rig for a bit, it's in my storage condo 30 minutes from home). I do like the info that Beck's shows for Legend construction (don't know where they got it since the Legend site doesn't say they make coaches). Looks pretty well made.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #3

looks exactly like our '04....only 100k and change more
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. The unit im looking at is a 2007 ( sorry should of stated that) I have been looking at them for a long time and it looks to have all the options of a renegade, show hauler, haulmark ect... That's why I was trying to get info on the actually build quality. I talked to a local dealer and they said they are nice coaches middle of road build obviously not a chariot or ikon but right there with the rest of them.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #5

The devil is always in the details. Try to get into the walls and check the welds ... quick and dirty? or good beads.

Look at the "components". Are they "good ones" or the "cheap ones". What kind of wiring does it have? Is the wiring and plumbing well supported? Is the wiring well bundled? or does it look like a birds nest? Crawl inside as much as you can, does it look like all routing of the plumbing wiring was thought out all butchered after the build was well started.

Good luck!
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #6

$200k does seem a bit high. Have you seen the Hawk Engineering site? He's got a very nice garage coach for sale there. $135k I think.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #7

Wait, the garage coach they have listed there shows $146k. But there is no info about it. Other than a 515 h/b motor with 12 speed. That sounds more like a Detroit motor than a MB?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

Oh wow, looks like you bought it: http://www.truckconversion.net/forum...-class-c-7182/

Now, first thing, don't call it a "C" or even a "super C." It's a "Truck Conversion."

Very excited for you. Let's get some pictures up and info about it.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #9

Ya we put a deposit on it and are picking it up Wednesday !! We are excited can't wait to enjoy our truck conversion motorhome hahaha thanks for all the help. Checked with the local dealer and ran all specs last them and they said it was a good coach all the options and equipment are good. Hopefully we are not disappointed !
Old 08-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #10

You need to run the specs by us. Hahahahaahahaah. Engine, trans, axle ratings, gen set, leveling system, water capacity, etc.....
Old 08-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #11

haha that is true !

2007 freightliner legend Cl120 chassis

450 hp Mercedes-Benz Motor. Fully Auto Transmission (eaton fuller rto- 16910b-dm ultra shift). Twin Screws. 4Leg automatic hydraulic Leveling System( with upgraded foot prints larger) . 2Refrigertors. 3 TVs. 10KW Onan Generator. Celling extra 6" height. 13ft Slideout room,and 5ft slider in bed room. 2 gas heater. gas and elec hot water heater. Full shower. the truck has a 10ft garage with a/c and heat.With 1600 lb lift. the interior is all cherry cabinets,with black leather and marble 40,000 pound hitch outside entertainment ( tv grill freezer / refrigerator)

hope this helps ! Let me know if there is anything else I should look for ?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #12

Tanks are 62 grey, 25 black, 150 fresh
Old 08-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #13

trying to upload photos not sure if it is working !!
Attached Thumbnails
motorhome1.jpg   motorhome2.jpg   motorhome3.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #14

looks nice !
Old 08-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #15

thanks how do the specs add up ?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #16

sounds similar to our '04 - ours has the same motor (pre-emissions, no egr cooler) but ours has the ZF / Meritor 12 speed auto.

1st time ive heard of having TWO heaters.

your gen is same size (10kw) - which will be PLENTY (expect at 1/2 a gallon per hour consumption).

youre gonna LOVE that outside cooler (no ice to buy)...I added one to ours and we use the hell outta i.

your tanks are similar size except we have 220 gallons of fresh water (twin 110s under the queen bed).
Old 08-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #17

oh just saw your black tank size...man are any of these things built the same
ive got twin 60 gal holding tanks for the black & gray.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #18

Looks great! Is this your first motorhome? Do you plan to use it just for camping or are you going to pull a trailer to a race track or horse event? Cycles or a smart car in the garage?

My tanks are close. 200 fresh, 75 gray, 25 black. Those black/gray ratios work pretty well for us. Usually the black will beat the gray to full. Once I filled the gray before the black got full.

I use a Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor system and really like it. Might want to think about one of those. I most often pull a enclosed car trailer and it works good to monitor the tires on the trailer too since I probably wouldn't be able to feel a tire blow on that.

My truck had a very rough ride up front when I got it. I just assumed that's the way it was supposed to ride. When I replaced my steer tires we found nothing inside them to balance them. I put the Dyna Beads in the new steers. Wow, what a difference. If you think yours is rough maybe check that.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #19

GATE - is this your 1st camper ? 1st Coach ?

because of our tank size weve only once come close to 3/4 full on our black tank and that took almost 4 weeks while visiting / parked on my MIL's curb.

even on a 3 day race weekend w/ 3 or 4 in the coach (dry camping) we generally dont fill the gray tank - and on the same type of weekend we're lucky if we use 1/4 of our fresh water.

for us - the gray tank always fills 1st...and i know others that have "leached" or trickled their gray (soapy) water on the ground after the sun goes down - most parks or campground frown upon this but its just soapy water.

Because Bob also mentioned - I would also recommend a TPMS system - it'll provide you at least some notice if not early warning of a tire failure...ive found its also saving me LOTS of time (no need to check tire pressure before a trip, just turn on the monitor)...no need to drag out air hose and attach it to a compressor (i use a co2 bottle now, but used to use the coach compressor).

I have the Truck Systems Technology TPMS system - lots of different axle configurations (capability to exceed 18 tires) & the TST system has the ability to add & drop a trailer or tow vehicle as needed. We dont always tow our jeep, but when we do, we monitor those tires too.

the TST system doesnt just monitor pressure, it also monitors tire TEMP (its one of the few if not the only system, that i know of that reports TEMPERATURE) - temp increases can signal failure or other issues (stuck brake, worn axle bearing, etc, as they will transfer heat to the tire too). The TST will set off its alarm if there are sudden PSI or TEMP rises or drops either in number or by percentage increase or decrease.

the TST system will warn of over pressure or under pressure.

Like bob recommends - i would suggest a good FULL alignment & tire balance - i found a worn spring bushing on the rear of our coach that was causing some early tire wear & gentle pulling of the coach.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #20

Thanks for all the info its very helpful !! Yes this is my first motorhome. I have a few friends with them but I have never owned a camper or motorhome. I actually don't even know what the different color tanks are for haha im guessing the black is to hold waste, grey to hold all other water ie: shower and sinks?? And obviously fresh water is what I fill up before we go !

The tire system does sound great... where is the best place to buy one ?

The previous owner made the same comment about how his front end was rough over 75 mph so he had something installed and said it is way better .. maybe the same thing you are referring to.

Is it possible to run the ac while driving ? Also how often do you charge batteries ? After every trip ?

Are there any must haves that I should put in the motorhome ?

We are taking our first trip this weekend to Nashville !

I will be using this for camping and towing our boat ( only 7500 pounds) So I don't think it will be struggling that much haha we originally were looking at a class a diesel but after a lot of research we decided the trucks were a better bet for safety, longevity, repairs, and some other stuff.

I just have to figure out how to fill this thing up and make right turns I should be good haha thanks for all the advice !