Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Antennas (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/antennas-7223/)

GConnell 12-04-2013 01:28 PM

Antennas

Any opinions on RV antennas? Looking to prob get one here in the near future and would like to hear from the group.

porky69 12-04-2013 09:59 PM

TV....CB Radio...digital TV...satellite?

GConnell 12-06-2013 08:12 AM

well iguess that would help! LOL

TV antennas!!

bushpilot 12-07-2013 11:52 PM

I have the Wineguard RoadStar (omnidirectional) RS-2000 for over the air HDTV.

There are better antennas like the winegard Sensar "batwing" - but it has to be AIMED since its directional (if you change channels a lot you'll be re-aiming a lot) and the bat wings have to be cranked down or lowered (when traveling).

the Sensar is the most popular (#1 selling) over the air TV antenna.

the King Controls makes the directional JACK antenna - its supposed to be pretty good (but it too has to be turned/aimed like the Sensar)…but it does NOT have to be lowered (in fact you CANT lower it.

Range claimed -
Jack: as much as 90+ miles
Sensar: 55 Miles
RS-2000: 30+ miles

We don't watch a lot of TV when we camp - we seem not to miss it & all I'm typically interested in (TV wise) when traveling is the local weather (and possibly local/national news)….we've found that the RS-2000 is just fine for almost every location we've camped or stayed. The RS-2000 also doesn't have to be aimed & i don't have to remember to lower it.

We have a King TracVision in-motion sat - but we've never bothered to use it (we're not DTV or DISH customers at home).

Im also discovering that w/ Internet access (personal hotspot or wifi at a campground etc) we can STREAM movies & local tv - the longer we have the coach, the less desire i have in configuring the Satellite dome.

andyg 12-08-2013 11:51 AM

I have the same style antenna as bushpilot. Not sure of the brand or model. What I like is that it requires nothing from me to work. I especially like that I don't have to remember to lower it before moving the coach. Many RVs include a booster in the antenna wiring and these do help the signal when you are a little farther from town.

bushpilot 12-08-2013 05:00 PM

the winegard rs2000 (and similarly styled "pizza" antennas) include a 12v booster…as does the King JACK antenna.

my RS2000 won't pick up squat w/out the booster (included w/ the antenna) turned on.

hot rod 12-08-2013 08:56 PM

I installed the winegard sensar in my trailer. It works pretty good, I'm satisfied. If you are anywhere near a city the direction really doesn't matter, if you are more remote just point it in the general direction of the city where the tv station is and it works ok. Includes a 12v signal booster and switch and outlet to hook up cable tv if you are in a park that has it. Not too bad to install. You have to pick a spot on the roof that has clearance for the antenna to fold down flat, and also puts the crank in a convenient spot on the ceiling below. Hardest thing was fishing the wires through the ceiling/walls. Most important thing... remember to crank it down before you roll! The only time it is totally useless to us is in Marathon (Florida keys), all you can pick up is 2 spanish language stations out of Miami. So the Redbox at the Publix up the street gets a workout that month. Coincidentally, heading that way Tuesday morning. Wish the fish bad luck for me!

GConnell 12-09-2013 06:19 AM

Thanks everyone! Usually where I go in the Ocala national forest, I have trouble getting a cell phone signal so I suppose the TV signal will be just as difficult.