Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Default 7 brands of tires on my truck!

There are SEVEN different brands of tires on my truck!

I'm not sure how usual, or unusual this is, but there you have it.

Steer: 295/75R22.5
L/F is a Dunlop SP384, which is in good shape - no dry rot and good tread.
R/F is a General (Continental) S580, also in good shape.

Drive: 295/75R22.5
L/RO is a Hercules S307, also in decent shape
L/RI is a Yokohama TY577, also in decent shape
R/RO is a Goodyear G662 RSA, nearly new
R/RI is a Bridgestone M726EL, acceptable shape (and passed DOT inspection)

Drop axle: 255/70R22.5 (noticeably smaller than the others)
All 4 are BF Goodrich ST230, also in decent shape

Anyway, in discussing tires with the old commercial tire salesman at AOK Tires, he said in his experience cheap Chinese tires were safe and blowing out wasn't a concern, but he cautioned they didn't seem to last as long (obviously they sell all kinds of tires so I'm reasonably sure he was telling me the straight story). Moreover, since safety is such a paramount issue in America I thus, rather doubt Uncle Sam allows unsafe tires to be sold in the first place. Hence, I am actually (surprisingly) OK with using el cheapo tires. Especially because I'm thinking tires on my truck will dry rot LONG before I wear them out traveling lightly loaded to model airplane and helicopter events a half dozen times a year in and around the southeast.

I'm thinking to buy one additional Goodyear G662 RSA and putting these on steer, and opting for four el cheapo Chinese for the drive tires. As for the drop axle, I think I'll leave well enough alone because I seriously doubt I'll ever load the truck sufficiently to even consider using them.

Finally, I'm not in any particular hurry to do this because the tires really are OK still (else I would buy immediately). It just bothers me to see the variety, but since there's no safety issue involved, it doesn't bother me enough to move with alacrity to spend another 2500 bucks on the truck right now (instead of on the conversion). Especially because I just forked over the dough for tag and taxes when I registered the truck and changed the title from commercial to motorhome earlier today.

Thoughts?

jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #2

I didn't want to take any chances, so I put two Firestone 663's on the outer drives (the inners did not have any weather cracking.)

Two, mounted taxes out the door $935

40's rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

make sure height is the same on old tires as new tires. other wise new tires will carry most of the load.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

run a pressure/temp system and KNOW how the tires are wearing (temperature & load wise).

im very please w/ the TST system...just added 4 monitors for our toad.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #5

We also use the tst system. Very pleased. Literally won't leave home without it. It has paid for itself in tires, where a slow leak like a nail would develop, but I would see it going down and able to pull off in a safe place and change the tire before it actually blows, and able to repair instead of replace the tire. Plus saves potential damage to the vehicle from the tire not actually blowing out. Also very instructive, I can monitor pressures and temperatures vs. load and speed and know when I am overworking the tires.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #6

One more note on the tst system, don't bother with the signal booster, my dash unit will pick up the trailer tire signal when the truck is parked nowhere near the trailer, so no problem at all when hooked up.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #7

i agree on the system & its "peace of mind"....i check the tire pressures a LOT less now....there just isnt any need to run around w/ a gauge...just turn the monitor on and read the pressures....if one needs air, THEN i pull out the hose etc...

our experience regarding signal quality and the booster is different - we found it necessary to add the signal booster/antenna, i was experiencing some random sensor drop out...i added the booster antenna when i added the jeep/toad sensors...since then everything has been working flawlessly.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #8

where did you buy them and how much?
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #9

Don, I'm betting your toad is farther away from your dash sensor than the axles on my tri axle trailer. But still, my truck will pickup the trailer tires when it is parked 150' away on the other side of my building. I had bought the booster with the system based on their recommendations of distance, but I never installed it, no need. And I am just using the little antenna on the unit, not the big wired antenna that also came with it. Apparently there is some variation.

I have the older version (that they still sell, a little cheaper) where you can't replace the batteries, you have to send the sensors in for upgrade when they quit, seem to get about 4 years. The new version has replaceable batteries you can change out your self. I'd suggest that version. Also, buy a spare sensor. I've gotten so used to the peace of mind, that I like having the spare sensor on hand, that way if something happens to one I can keep rolling without worrying about that tire.
I bought mine from Camping World, but they dropped TST for another brand a couple of years ago. You can buy direct from the manufacturer: http://www.tsttruck.com/Home_Page.html

$300 gets you the first 6 sensors and the dash unit, they sell larger kits, figure $50 per sensor added to the kit price after the first 6. Sounds a little pricey until you think about the cost of one or two saved tires, or the damage to the vehicle if a tire blows bad. Even worse if a tire blows on the toad and you don't notice real quick, there are horror stories out there of the toad burning to the ground from a tire fire, or crashing. I like my peace of mind and recommend this or some similar system to anyone who will listen.

One helpful hint, you do need to have the solid high pressure bolt in variety valve stems in your wheels (which big rigs should have anyway). Passenger car tires for your toad, or a lighter trailer may have the rubber type valve stems. If so you will have to have the bolt in stems installed. Make sure you tighten the nuts on the valve stems way tighter than you normally would, so that the valve stem won't turn in the wheel when you are installing/removing the sensors. And tell them you want an extra removal tool or two, they will send them along at no extra charge if you ask. The only way you can get the sensors off the wheel to add air is with a tool, so you are screwed if you lose it. Ask me how I know this. I keep one in the door pocket, a spare tool in the glove box, and one at the shop. I would keep one in the toad as well in case you need to add air when away from the truck.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #10

i got mine direct from TST, couldnt find any better prices so figured why not go direct.

i bought the 507 system (small / flat display) w/ sensors that have replaceable (button/watch) batteries.

i really went w/ the 507 because i KNEW how i wanted to mount it to the dash (i had stuff on the dash/wires all over and suction cups on the windscreen).

they have a new flow thru sensor now (never have to remove them to add add to the tires). I used a small drop of lock tite to each valve thread (to keep the sensors from spinning off....of which i have no evidence of them having ever done).

I have the sensors or our Jeep Wrangler (JK), and dont see an issue w/ the rubber valve stems on it....but hot rod's suggestion for metal/heavy bolt in stems is a good one...w/ todays more modern dinghy it might not be an option (since ALL mfg's now have their own sensors in the tires too).

be careful of over tightening the sensors (you could strip them)...but make sure they are tight, i agree.

Ive been able to use some BENT NOSE, needle nose pliers to get the sensors on and off (w/out the tool)...especially in hard to reach INNER duel wheels.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #11

I'm interested in a tire pressure monitor but first things first, tires.

The Dunlop up front was nearly new (1500 miles per the invoice) so I bought a matching Dunlop tire and I'm good to go up front. Interestingly, the dealer pulled out a Dunlop and a Goodyear and showed me they were the same (saying Goodyear owned Dunlop and it was the same tire). Anyway, while they don't match, all of the drive tires are in similarly good condition (two are drive or steer) and I see no special reason to replace them (other than my OCD). I'd rather spend the money on one of those TST systems instead.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #12

I like to see al of the tires on any given axle match. Different tires will pull differently and sometimes work against each other causing heating and excessive wear problems. You also want all the the tires on an axle to have the same amount of wear. Since the tires are mixmatched you should also check the DOT number on each one to determine their age. Radials do funny things after they get to be 5-6 years old even if they look to be in good shape. Watch the age of tires bought new at a dealer as well. They may be slipping you some old tires. be especially wary of "Good deals" as they may have been sitting in a warehouse for years. NOS is not a good thing with radial tires.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #13

Thanks for the advice Andy.

Re: TST pressure monitoring system . . . how does replacing batteries compare with other systems like the one Camping World sells now? Anybody have experience, or know what the batteries all cost to replace, and also, do you replace them on a 2-year schedule or a 6 month schedule, or what?