Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-02-2002, 06:43 PM   #1

Well I have spent the last 2 years researching truck conversion companies and I have settled on a Show Hauler. Seeing that Show Hauler was not even in the running a month ago, you may ask what dramatic change occured to put them on top.

Let me start by defining the front runners. One of the first companies I looked at was Transport Design. They are very flexible and will build a complete unit, or put just a box on your truck and let you complete the interior, or go as far as you want them to. They use tubular steel construction with aluminum skin either riveted or bonded. I started adding up what it would cost me to do the interior and found I may be better off looking at other companies to do the box & interior. Kibbi (Renegade) definitely moved to the top of the list after touring the factory and test driving a unit. Kibbi uses 5/8" FRP (fiberglass reinforced plywood)construction on its walls and roof. There is no metal frame above the floor, the walls are the structural component which holds it all together. This is very strong and I must say I was very impressed with this building method, which blows away any traditional motorhome manufacture who builds a fiberglass coach. They like to build complete units, but will put a completed motorhome box on your chassis. Some of the others I considered where Haulmark & Trendsetter, and I definitely do not like the idea of putting a travel trailer on a truck such as Easter Conversions. I am not saying this is bad, but I just don't like the construction of TT's & traditional motorhomes in general.

Then came Show Hauler! They don't have a website (due out very soon) so I didn't have alot of information on them. On the recommendation of Jason at Big Foot Levelers I contacted the factory and spoke with Lonnie Troyer. I made a appointment to tour the factory and I was blown away. Show Hauler just puts it all together. They use a structural steel frame with walls on 16" O.C., a bonded .063 aluminum exterior, and a interior which is built the way a motorhome should be. It is the attention to details which I believe sets Show Hauler above the others. I will be putting together a detailed factory tour in a few days which will show the Show Hauler difference.

This week I will be finalizing my floor plan & a few extra's I want added. It is not much, they really have a great standard package, and a very fair price.

Bill

1995 FL FLD120, M11, custom interior.

[This message was edited by warpath on November 20, 2002 at 10:15 AM.]

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:23 AM   #2

I will be looking forward to the mentioned site tour.
I had been researching also a full class eight conversion. When it became impossible to find a converter near me that wanted to do something luxurious yet still simple I finally gave in to ordering a class A coach. This does not mean that a conversion is not in my future.
Now that you have given us a site for organizing the information needed for a educated decision, it will make life much easier for those with a common goal.

Thanks Bill once again for starting a needed place to converse and learn on dedicated subjects.

Jimmy

Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 08:47 AM   #3

This is a little late but may help someone decide in the future. I have work on several of the FRP sided trailers (horse/rv) and will never recommend them to anyone. As you travel the frp moves around, real hard to keep sealed, they lose grounds and are really hard to track down, and are extremely heavy. Just my opinion. John
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 09:08 AM   #4

Robertsonthego

Are we talking about the 5/8" FRP walls? I would be interested to know what the wieght difference is between FRP & Steel/Aluminum is. I actually went with the Steel/Aluminum structure which Show Hauler uses.

I compared Kibbi's construction to traditional motorhome construction which is Steel & a thin FRP wall and was much stronger wall, but obviouslly much heavy as well. What types of problems have you seen? Are the walls racking back and forth causing the fastners to loosen up?

Thanks for info

Bill(warpath) on the road in Chicago
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote