Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-23-2002, 07:46 PM   #1

Step two is complete. Show Hauler brought the truck back from the paint shop this evening. Lonnie will take pictures tomorrow and I will post them tomorrow night. Next it is off to the stretch shop where it will be for the next 2 weeks.

I keep telling myself that I should be enjoying the process, but I am just going crazy. I never was a patient person.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 completely refurbished chassis. Currently in production - scheduled completion 12/10/02 www.showhauler.com

[This message was edited by warpath on October 28, 2002 at 10:06 AM.]

[This message was edited by warpath on November 20, 2002 at 10:14 AM.]

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 09:12 AM   #2

Well I did recieve the pictures and it now looks like a brand new cab. Unfortunetly, I wont be able to post the pictures until Sunday night or Monday morning when I get home. I just don't have a good access service outside of my area since Verio stopped offering dial up and I am in Chicago right now. I will have to work on this.

Old 10-28-2002, 08:14 AM   #3

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 completely refurbished chassis. Currently in production - scheduled completion 12/10/02 www.showhauler.com

[This message was edited by warpath on October 28, 2002 at 11:38 AM.]
Old 10-28-2002, 10:51 AM   #4

SO Bill.....what happened to the extra 2 seats and the wood floor?....Kids staying at home now?....;>)....I take it you had a serious change in plans....was this a showhauler idea or yours?....also where are you going to put their seats now?....LUK...geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 12:39 PM   #5

The initial decision to cut the cab off came by me. I was cruzing the web and found a picture of a rig which was done similarly to what I was thinking. I am a real freak about this rig looking first class and top notch.

Now a Show Hauler motorhome box looks much better than that one, but the front cab & rear box just do not look right. I don't care how much blood and sweat I put into that sleeper my rig is not looking like that. The kids will sit on the couch or dinette; they both have seat belts in them. Also after taking a long trip this weekend in my Explorer, it will be better to have them somewhat removed from the driver's area. They can play, sing, and scream and I can close the curtain and maintain some calm in the cab. One advantage to my current cut cab is the extra 15" or so larger it is than a standard day cab. I can recline my seat or set it back as far as it will go to access the inside from the driver or passenger door. Also there is enough room behind the seat to hang up jackets or put boots there, which you would use in bad weather.

Now the other issue was the fact that the sleeper was going to screw up the layout on the 26' motorhome which I originally considered. The rear axle was going to be in the wrong place for that particular layout. Since I really liked that layout we decided to chop the cab. In the end we changed to a 28' layout anyway, but I am really glad we shopped the cab. With the flair in the cab it is going to integrate with the box really well.

So something which at first looked to be a real bummer is turning out to be a big positive.

Old 10-28-2002, 06:37 PM   #6

Good choice Bill....that sleeper in the picture above looks like an outhouse hanging out the back of the tractor...though, kinda handy for long trips. I'm glad you are doing such a good job figuring out all the little details and posting then for the rest of us to read. I can appreciate separating the kids form the tractor-long trips can get a little ah...difficult...I'm waiting for Larry Zeigler to find a tractor-meanwhile I've started searching for a trailer...Insurance-registration and the generator are in the bag so it's trailer time....thanks again geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:38 AM   #7

BILL: I THINK WITH THE CURRENT UNCERTANITY AS TO WHAT SOME OF THESE CLASS 8 CONVERSION ARE, YOU ARE WISE TO HAVE REMOVED THE SLEEPER.THE LAST THING YOU WANT IS BEING STOPPED BECAUSE YOUR RIG LOOKS LIKE LIKE A "HOT SHOT" HAULER.

PHELPS

RICHARD PHELPS is offline   Reply With Quote