Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Coach In The Making (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f103/)
-   -   peterbuilt 387 motorhome (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f103/peterbuilt-387-motorhome-7113/)

hi turtle 04-23-2013 11:51 AM

peterbilt 387 motorhome

1 Attachment(s)
This will be a new/continuation of spooner's thread. I'll give a breif history of my relationship with the two brothers. I met them over a decade ago at the Sand Sports Super Show. They were just starting to build dune buggies. I befriended Stephen and Thomas. They invited me out to Dumont Dunes, my first time ever to to sand dunes. They let me drive their buggy and tought me how to dune. After a couple more trips with them, I bought a buggy from them. We were friends that camped and duned together for several years, even making trips to Little Sahara and Coral Pink. One day, Spooner emails me and tells me that I need a class 8 conversion and they can build me one cheaper and better than a Renegade, which was the most popular conversion at the time. They were shooting for the same level as a Kingsley. I trusted them and their build skills so I decided to do it. Things were moving along for the first few months. Sleeper was cut and new frame was going up. It was taking shape, although it looked like it was going to take a year to do. Well, the year came and the build was slowing down. I don't know why Stephen stopped working on it. My only way of communicating with them was through Thomas via email. He would never answer my calls. By this time, they stopped going to the dunes and our relationship was deteriorating. They continued working on it when they felt like it. Things continued like that until a month ago, when I had to pick it up since their house was getting foreclosed on. At this time and to sum it up, he and his brother SUCK! Dealing with his brother Thomas was an ordeal... it was like they were living on another planet with a different set of rules. Spooner has great ideas, but finishing what he starts is the problem.

So now my pete is finally in my posession, and that in itself deserves a new thread.

On to the current state...

hi turtle 04-23-2013 12:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Exterior is almost done. Rear entrance door still needs to be fabricated as well as doors for the cargo area.

Spooner came up with the idea of riviting the outside skin, I'm guessing copying an airstream?

hi turtle 04-23-2013 12:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Interior still needs work. Seems like most of the wiring was ran, but no generator, inverter, etc.

Need to figure out the fresh, grey, black water tank layout and capacity. Seems like water lines were run, but not to an area where a large enough fresh water tank could go. May need to redesign and run new lines.

Still need cabinets, dinette area, sleeper sofas, refrigerator, etc.

Hvac still needs work. I think they were planning on running a house window ac unit above the refrigerator? Looks like a lp heater is in under the dinette seat. Got to get the chassis ac and sleeper fan working. There are the old sleeper vents that were reused and will be able to cover the dinette and sofa area while traveling.

hi turtle 04-23-2013 01:22 PM

Ok, so that's where I'm at currently. At this time, I don't know what I should do with this build. I currently have a 1999 holiday rambler imperial. It doesn't compare to the speed and stability of the pete 387, espe ially while towing a trailer. But the HR is operational, something that can't be said for the pete. I also hate the thought of spending more money into the pete conversion. But the idea of a fully functional 387 conversion would be sweet.

Any advice is welcome.

hi turtle 04-23-2013 01:23 PM

Also, any leads on who may be able to help me finish the conversion would be appreciated. Especially anyone in Southern California.

Bob86ZZ4 04-23-2013 02:53 PM

Wow, I'm sorry it didn't go the way originally planned. It looks pretty cool though. I wonder if you could find somebody that was laid off from a rv place? Maybe visit with some service managers at large rv places and see if they know anybody they could recommend? Might need a few different people since there are quite different items that need attention and one person that knows it all might be hard to find. I think you pretty much have to finish it off since it would be pretty tough to sell in it's current condition? What about any nephews/nieces with good skills that might need work? Or else you can do it yourself. It could be a good learning experience.

hi turtle 04-24-2013 11:25 AM

Thanks Bob. It is turning out cool, but it's a love / hate relationship. Lol.

GENECARP 04-24-2013 01:41 PM

Looking good HT, as far as love hate------It's Always The Way......