Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-29-2005, 06:42 PM   #21

So would you guys consider the M2 a MDT or HDT?

They can be either class 7 or 8 from what I understand. Im sure the M2 112 is HD (comes with MB 4000 engine as well), but already close to the CL 112 in size then.

So the M2 106 is ....???

WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:08 PM   #22

still a bit smaller but i didn't care for that long nose with the big engine. The columbia slope is much easier to see the front with

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #23

Quote:
So the M2 106 is ....
..........TAAAADAAAAAA!....Medium.
There you have it......
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:57 PM   #24

Ok, Ok... so I will skip the M2 and go right away to the CL or Pete or....

Would not want to make the same mistake that you guys made.

but then again, Bill seems to be very happy with his
Old 11-30-2005, 03:57 AM   #25

Spooner

If I understood right you will build this unit as an empty shell. We are currently sub-contracting that work to a Northern MN fabricator. i wold be interested in talking to you about building these for some of our customers. If you have any interest in working with us please contact me. My contact information is on our website.

www.toolsetmotorhomes.com

Thanks, Tony
anthony desnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #26

Spooner
What more can you tell me about these basement A/C units that plan on using? Have you used these before? Have you had good luck with them? How hard is the upkeep on these units? Who makes them? How much room do they take up?

Thanks for the info.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #27

To be honest, if I had to do it over again I would probably go with the Pete or Columbia but with a 6 speed Allison automatic versus the 12 speed Meritor. Unless they turn my motor up and then it maybe a different story.

The only problem with the big trucks is that your over head bunk is pretty much useless, so you would need to make it storage or even better make is aero looking like Spooner and storage.

BTW the basement air/heat pump units are in pretty much all of the Winnebago's. The only issue is the loss of storage. If you could put a unit in between the frame rails near the rear you would be golden.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #28

Quote:
To be honest, if I had to do it over again I would probably go with the Pete or Columbia but with a 6 speed Allison automatic versus the 12 speed Meritor
How come? Everywhere (incl. on here) I hear people raving about the 12 sp Meritor.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #29

Don't get me wrong the Meritor is a huge advancement over the manual tranny (although many still love to jam gears) But the 6 speed automatic is so much smoother. This is not a big deal for the driver, but put passenger in back and a jerking tranny will make even the best passenger motion sick in stop and go traffic.

If your conversion is all business than the Meritor is the way to go. But if your hauling passenger and your rig is setup for travel and fun the Allison auto is the only way to go.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #30

.....an A/C unite between the frame rails is a PIA to service-and requires and extra fan/leaking hoses still get rid of the heat so a side facing condensor w/electric fan is required....shooting the hot air down or back would lead to overheating IMO.....A/C is tricky now days because the new freons are not as efficient as the R-12 and don't give up heat as easily......I'd hate to service one under a RV....I'd have to get $90 an hour to even diag. it -compressor change out for a 30,000btu unite would be 4.5 hours plus parts....I perfer the drawer unites like bus unites have....they slide out and you can service them sitting on a chair or stool....complete change out takes about 1.2 hours total....airplanes have a complete package and I have talked those up for 2 years at HVAC meetings....for the RV market and also the MD and HD trucking markets.....but anything convenient means less money for repair shops and everybody in the business is against that....I'd like to see a A/C unite with a generator-12dc/4dc-110vac and A/C compressor driven by a small gasoline engine on a drawer slide with a engine powered evap fan....similar to the anti-idling unites that are usually diesel powered and priced at about 1000% markup....after all a 9000btu Window A/C and a Generac generator at Home Depot is only $1400 including a heat coil.....so $7000+ for a trucking unite is stealing without a gun or gym shoes......AND any system you can't change out is an expensive unite to service.....allmotels have a slide out unite with heat-A/CVentulation connected to 220vac for about $675 a unite and it is a idiots job to change them out....most unites die of overheating because of poor maintenance/filter changes/gun shots.....geofkaye
Old 12-02-2005, 03:51 AM   #31

Photoguy,
Go to : Tundra A/C and check it out. Mine so far has benn doing great.

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #32

....Dometic is a good unite I use them on top of my trailer with an inside apartment chiller unite if I need to really cool down.....my over head unites coat $500 each and the apartment unite is $300 I dont have the ocst of the under side unite but I believe it is $1700 plus labor/install and a freon charge.....geofkaye
Old 03-04-2006, 04:55 AM   #33

Geof,
The Tundra unit I put in was about $4,000. but it came with freon and quick connect lines. It was pricey but it was exactly what I was looking for and was the perfect size....I don't remember the cost of the units on the roof on my conversion but I doubt I payed as little as you did...maybe next time I can get them from you or your source.....

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #34

Hi everyone. I was searching the web and funny how I came across this. I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. I'm the owner of the pete 387. I will try to start a new thread and post pics.

Pics from spooner is down, probably because he couldn't afford internet service anymore.

hi turtle is offline   Reply With Quote