Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #1

Is there a universally accepted method of making the frames and doors for the lower storage bays? Can a builder buy them from a coach manufacturer or is each builder on his own? I've tried looking for information but seem to be running out of ideas. Can anybody steer me to plans or have a good idea that worked for you. I'm sure you fellows have discussed this topic in the past but I don't know where to look. Thanks. Illuvplanes

illuvplanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #2

I just bought some from an RV salvage place (they had them new). This place has all kinds of stuff.

http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/

Mike

Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #3

wow that place has all the stuff i need, but they are kinda far away. Is there a place like this in SoCal?

Quote:
Originally posted by Oakland Mike:
I just bought some from an RV salvage place (they had them new). This place has all kinds of stuff.

http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/

Mike
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #4

DD,
As it has been said so many times, the RV industry is starving. I bought my doors (already framed) from Kinro for less than half of retail. Call them directly. http://www.kinro.com/index.htm

I bought brackets from a Truck salvage yard and put 1/4 inch sheet steel for a floor. then I built a frame with square tubing. give Kinro the inside dimensions of the opening and they will build the doors to whatever you need. my generator and air conditioner are in these compartments, so I got vented doors.

Doc Weaver
Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #5

....I DON'T LIKE BOXES I RUIN THEM VERY EASILY ON HIGH CURBS AND OTHER PROJECTIONS AND HAVE FOR MANY A YEAR SO ALL MY STUFF IS TOP BED MOUNTED.....BUT IF I WERE MAKING A BOX HOLDER AND BOX I WOULD START MAKING THE HOLDER WITH 2x2x1/4" ANGEL IRON IN A TRIANGLE SHAPE then brace it with a diagonal piece of the same angel at a 45 degree angle-ATTACH IT TO THE FRAME WITH 2 EA 5/8" BOLTS....add a steel floor[1/4"] and BACK and aluminum sides-back and top unless I needed it to haul something else on-like my shovel kit and tow strap or tire chains....the outside door would be 1/4" aluminum plate with a lip that fits over the outside of the whole box and adds stiffness.....or off to Tractor Supply with a credit card for a 16 ga. steel box for about $200 and forget all that work....they need to be repainted cuz that crappy powder coat paint that peels off...but that is just me....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 AM   #6

I would have gladly bought a pre-built box, but I needed an extra tall box and those aren't $200. I kinda screwed myself with the air conditioner size.

Doc Weaver
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #7

Doc Weaver: I do need your help with a Destroyer Depth Charge sound done electronically instead of steam driven at 600 psi.....something that will exceed the pain threshold of the human ear....another words, I need something that is different and very painful as a deterrent....think about it and we will exchange info when you are not so busy......keep on working yourself to early retirement so we can spend _your_ golden years messing around with sound equipment and going deaf....mine are already about used up ;&gt.....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote