Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #1

Our latest is online. This is a 14 foot LQ with a 12 foot garage. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to field. The photos will be updated weekly and can be found here:

http://homepage.mac.com/desnick/PhotoAlbum13.html

Tony Desnick

ToolSet Motorhomes

anthony desnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:32 AM   #2

I like the beaver tail and had not seen it before. Would that permit loading of a vehicle without having to raise the lift gate midway through the process? The car in question has a 97" wheelbase and 5" road clearence. Any drawbacks to the beaver tail? Keep the photos coming Tony.
Roy

LooseClu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:07 AM   #3

Roy, My gut says the car could beloaded without difficulties without raising the door - this after I have seen how low the beavertail can actually go. The door will be 8' long. I can't say for sure though without diagramming it. The only drawback we see from the beaver tail is the reduction in basement storage space behaind the rear wheels. We will manage to fit a 95 gal fresh tank in that space on teh right side. Future pictures will show this.

Tony

ToolSet Motorhomes
Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #4

Nice rig Tony!
If I needed a garage-type rig, I would do something like this. BUT, I don't think I'll do a garage. Do you have drawings of any of your motorhome floorplans in the 16'-20' range? I want something that's still quite maneuverable, and not necessarily needing a separate bedroom.
Gotta LOVE those Volvos! NICE trucks!
Gary
PS- Is there ANY way to print off the pics on your site in a SMALLER format? It seems that you only get a portion of it on a normal 8-1/2 X 11 sheet
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #5

Gary
I sent you an image to your private email. I'm hesitant to post anything here because design is what I believe differentiates us from the Showhaulers and Renegades on the business.

We are, at the request of a few customers, going to start to offer a design package that will include drawings (not CAD) required to build a coach.

As far as printing the photos, try using the "page setup" function on your machine. Every machine is different and as it happens, I'm a Mac guy anyway.

Good luck, Tony

ToolSet Motorhomes
Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #6

Almost ready for cabinetry and interior finishes installation:

2007 ToolSet MotorGarage

Tony Desnick

ToolSet Motorhomes
Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #7

Anthony

If you wanted to build a truck conversion with a car garage and living space and keep it under 40', (so anyone can drive it in CA)

1. how much living room space could you keep or need if you wanted to have enough room in the garage to put an average small car/truck which are approx 15' in length, like a toyota truck or similar small/mid size vehicle?

2. do you have any floorplans online showing the living space, kitchen, bathroom area of such a conversion?

This picture on your website here, shows a 12' garage with a 14' living area. That would leave 14' for the cab portion. But most small cars are longer than 12', more like 15' correct?

3. What is the typical length of the truck portion of the truck, say a non sleeper version and a sleeper version? Is it possible to build such a unit and keep it not exceeding 40'?

thanks
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #8

Tried to send an email to Toolset motorhomes and my email bounced back?
MissBehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #9

....IIRC...TONY ONLY DESIGNS ANYMORE-DOESN'T BUILD....could be wrong but give him a call....HE IS EASY TO DO BUSINESS WITH!....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #10

Yep, Tony is a neighbor and friend of mine. He's busy with other career paths now. I post here because I'm wondering if the owner of this rig is on this forum? Interested in hearing how he likes the toilet that burns everything up with no holding tank. I think this rig also has an interesting electrical setup if I remember correctly. Wondering how that's working for him/her. I will ask Tony about it too when I see him next but just thought maybe the present owner might chime in.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #11

....BOB - I'm still here and I did use the INCINOLET at the Kentucky Truck Show all weekend....wouldn't gp to the othe rmethod of dealing with human waste ever again.....and there is the issue of disease that I will not have to ever deal with....Had the INCINOLET for 4-5 years now and never a problem with it.....geofkaye [Rivercity Group]
Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 AM   #12

Geofkaye, so this rig that Tony built is yours? I kept checking in on Tony and his helpers while they were building this one. I actually signed off on some inspection papers for it to certify it as a motor home (I'm a St. Paul cop). Seeing Tony's units was one of the big reasons I had to get a truck conversion. That Incinolet looked very cool.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #13

.....NO! I DON'T OWN ANY OF TONY'S STUFF...I just steal every bodies designs and use them for re-doing any updates or interiors....I have used INCINOLET since the 90's in another setting and now I have one in my trailer......I'D NEVER GO WITH ANY OTHER TOILET-BECAUSE OF THE DISEASE ISSUE....there are too many bugs out there to get near a sewage dumps......I also work in a hospital and the disease issue and transfer of disease is a daily issue.....you really don't want to deal with any of the bugs that are in and around sewage......believe me....geofkaye
Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #14

....BTW I got my eye on another TC/MH and one of the issues is converting it from a tank crapper to an INCINOLET.....that and the issue of propane near the coach.....I can't afford to loose any more friends because of propane.....geofkaye
Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #15

Bob,
That coach belongs to a friend of mine from AZ. We are actually going to meet up in Moab with he and his wife in just a few weeks. We both have HDT conversions and haul or motorcycles around the country to ride off road in some remote areas. His conversion was made big enough to haul a small car...not mine at only 8ft.

The used IKEA cabinets (maybe an idea Geo) to outfit the interior. They got a great European look with a modern light maple finish. It is contemporary by RV standards and we just loved it when we saw it last year.

He was actually down sizing from a 43+ foot Diesel pusher so he could get his stuff inside the garage and discard the trailer.

Rad
Old 03-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #16

That's cool Rad. Ya, I watched Tony build it so know about the cabinets and lighting and such. Tell the owner "hi" from me then. Glad to hear it's working well for him. The only thing that worried me was the latch on the tailgate ramp. Is that working okay?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #17

I am looking at the incinerator toilets for when I start my build. Is there enough power to use them when boondocking or does it need to be plugged into shore power? What is the usual current draw on one of these units and can solar panels/batteries/inverters supply enough to power one? Thanks.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #18

....IIRC it is 1500 watts at 120 vt for 45 minutes....but it clicks on and off during the "burn" phase but not during the "cool off" phase. As far as cleaning-once a week I empty the ash tray so to speak in the plastic bag that I put waste in and that is it....I did clean if last year with Windex...to shine the stainless steel....other than that no problem.....except that one of the gorlz forgot to burn it and over flowed it with urine.....she and is now working for Wal-Mart in the store cleaning group form 3-7 AM and getting $7.50 an hour....I can't fix dumb any more.....they do make 220 vt models of you have the juice necessary..FWIW....geofkaye
Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 AM   #19

I know this is a old post but hopefully someone can answer, what material are you using for the outer skin and how do you install it so its so nice and flat?

Nice conversion!

Thanks
Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #20

On my conversion, C & S used 2x 2 squaure tubing then applied a 2" wide 3M Tape to each tube, then applied the .050 Alum Sheets butted not overlapped their is a very narrow black line between each sheet from the irreularities in cutting the sheet edges but it looks real nice and flat. I like it over overlapping each sheet which requires more tape and you lose an inch of sheet on each overlap too.

Chuck said that 3M told him this method wouldn't work but he's been doing it for 4-5 years now on trailers and conversions and not a single problem. ands in SD his trailers see -40 to 110+ so thats a big heat range.

blizz