Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Coach In The Making (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f103/)
-   -   Coach in the Making Two - Levelers (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f103/coach-making-two-levelers-5799/)

Warpath 02-21-2005 01:44 PM

Well the truck finally made it from the Freightliner factory to Freightliner dealer (D&K FL in Lansing, Mi) late on Thursday. I just wanted to say here if your looking to purchase a truck for a RV toter and plan to go through a truck dealer, I suggest you contact Ed Merrill (email: EdwardMerrill@d-ktruckco.ftldealer.com )at D&K. He specializes in spec'ing trucks for this purpose and really has a handle on what to put on them. You are better off going through a conversion dealer such as Becks Custom Coach though if you plan to do a full on conversion. Ed does spec the truck for Becks and with Nathans knowledge of conversions you cannot go wrong. Nathan was one of the first dealers (if not the first) to get involved with conversions and has extensive knowledge on most of the manufactures.

I will be in touch with Jason at Bigfoot Levelerstomorrow morning to see if it made it into their shop yet. Also hope to get the first photos from him on the new "Giantfoot" (my name for them) levelers designed for truck conversions.

Hope to have a update for ya in the morning.

Gary Atsma 02-21-2005 02:31 PM

Sounds great, Bill, you be sure to keep us all up-dated on new developments. We all stand to gain from experiences like this. Thank you!
Gary

Warpath 02-22-2005 06:49 AM

Todays Update -

I just got off the phone with Nathan at Beck's and the truck has not made it to his place yet. I guess there where a few issues with it and D&K is still correcting them.

While I was on the phone he got in touch with Ed and it looks like it should make it over to Becks tomorrow. Nathan will take a few photos and they will rush it down to Quadra

BTW Beck's has some rigs you may want to check out if your in the market for a rig and don't want to wait a year for a fresh built unit. He is running a bunch (12 I think) on the Columbia with 6 speed Allison auto, 450 hp Mercedes, air ride on front and back axles, some are Show Hauler and some are Trendsetters, all are Legends. (which is basically the way Nathan spec's the conversion out) He runs 7' ceilings, does some things to the water system so it can be used in the winter, and a bunch of other unique things that a industry veteran has learned over the years.

Unfortunately, this may not be the last delay we see. The conversion industry is definitely in full swing right now with Quadra sitting with 12 plus trucks waiting to get in and get levelers and stretched if needed, and I know Show Hauler is booked until June.

So if your thinking about a conversion for next year you better been planning now and get that order in soon!

I hope to have some photos tomorrow of the M2 chassis

Bill

vapoppa 02-22-2005 02:13 PM

bill, thanks for the up date-- i can't speak for e'body ----- but--- i'm probably just as antsy as you are-- wish that i could do something to ease the "birth" pains-- well keep us as informed as you can--- thanks again-- mase

KAYE RIVERCITY 02-22-2005 10:45 PM

....me too I'd love to see you reach for your wallet!!...geof kaye https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo.../icon_wink.gif

Warpath 02-24-2005 07:55 AM

Today's Update

Blown Head Gasket!

Well D&K fixed a few things that needed repair and on the way over to Becks discovered another issue. Brought it back to the shop and found the motor had a blown head gasket.

So we probably are looking at a weeks set back.

I guess it's better it was found now versus later.

On another note I spoke to Nathan about the rigs he has with front axle air ride and the Allison auto in the Columbia chassis. He said that that air ride really smooths out the ride and gives the conversion a pusher like ride, definitely a must for the guy coming from say a American Dream and is use to a plush ride. He also loves the Allison auto, he said it is so smooth versus the Meritor manual/auto, definitely something to look into if your not pulling a huge trailer.

I ran my last rig with Broc's add-a-ride air-ride on the front axle and that definitely smoothed out the ride. The thing I did not like was that it raised the ride height of the whole front end. This is not a big priority on the new one, but I at least have a baseline to work off of and if the ride is real rough may look into adding it again. This time I will make note of the ride height and make sure that does not change.

Bill

BillD 02-24-2005 08:12 PM

Bummer about the head gasket, but then that what a warranty is for.

Glad the new truck is built and is on its way.

Bill

KAYE RIVERCITY 02-24-2005 08:30 PM

....which engine?...geof kaye

Warpath 02-25-2005 03:25 AM

Mercedes MBE 926

Gary Atsma 02-26-2005 01:56 PM

.....which power rating?(HP and Torque).....Gary

Warpath 03-04-2005 11:54 AM

Update: There is none.

So far no one can tell me when it maybe ready. I am in contact with the FL Dealer who has been great, but has not been able to give me the info I want to hear. "It's done"

This sucks so bad I can't stand it! Ya wait 3 months for the damn thing to get built and then another month to make it run right.

The thing that kills me is that we would have been 2 1/2 weeks into this build, but instead sit hear with no idea if this will be another day, week or month.

Bill

vapoppa 03-04-2005 04:38 PM

bill, maybe you "need" to post his name and number so that we can call and inquire as to possible progress?--- mase oh, i won't say anything 'bout 'should- been a kw

KAYE RIVERCITY 03-04-2005 09:09 PM

....or you could have bought the M2 from my friend "Freightliner Frank"-probably cheaper and we would have delivered it to you just for kicks.....geof kaye

Warpath 03-07-2005 12:36 PM

Update: We are moving forward again!

Just got off the phone with the service manager form the FL dealer and it was found that the back head bolt was not tightened, just sitting in there. The delay was getting the gaskets and mainly 2 gaskets for the EGR system. Those are due in tomorrow morning.

So if all goes good the truck should be ready sometime on Wednesday.

I am somewhat relieved to at least now we are close to getting this in to the hands of Quadra for some levelers. And pist off that something so simple was overlooked in assembly and QC to cause a 3 week delay.

Bill

KAYE RIVERCITY 03-07-2005 09:41 PM

.....Warpath....lighten up a little-your what 37?....if you get this pizzed when your 60 like I am you are going to stroke out on us- then who is going to be our leader?.....anything mechanical will go haywire if given a chance....it is all in how you deal with it....except on the shuttle-that's another story all together....geof kaye ;&gthttps://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo.../icon_wink.gif

Warpath 03-11-2005 09:02 AM

Actually just turned 39.

I hear ya but not listening. I try to stay all "I don't care that my brand new truck that I waited for over 3 months is breaking down and thats o.k." but it just ain't working.

Anyway it just pulled into Show Haulers place about a hour ago. So I am hoping Jason from Bigfoot can grab it this afternoon and get the levelers on a.s.a.p. and get it back to Lonnie Tuesday.

I really have to thank Nathan at Beck's for rushing it down so quick. It hit his lot late last night and he had a driver running it down at the crack of dawn this morning. That was very cool.

KAYE RIVERCITY 03-11-2005 10:32 PM

....sounds like an excuse for a celebration in Middlefield Ohio tonight!....excitment is growing -as I can tell by your responces also a faint yelling from up north of me here in Cincinnati.....now on to the next problem.....[just think what Lonnie goes through].......so far so good!...."one day at a time".....[39 huh?]....geof kaye