Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #1

Well finally after 7 months & 8 days it is finished!

My brand new truck spent a total 24 1/2 days in the repair shop with motor issues. Which is totally ridiculous. Go's to show you the quality that is coming out of Mercedes Plant.

Anyway I am heading up to Beck's tomorrow morning to pick it up. It will give me a chance to run the rig for about 5 hours and I will post some initial thoughts on the M2 and how it handled compared to my old FLD.

Bill

Old 06-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #2

......'BOUT Time!....been holdin my breath so long.......why is that funny lookin' grin on your face anyway?.....geofkaye-[party at bill's]

Old 06-07-2005, 09:37 PM   #3

.....by the way, Warpath-Is this site run by the same group that is running IRV2.com.....they are sure PC'd out of their frickin' minds lately....I'm heading for Escapees more and more and of course staying with this site.....BUT if the whinnning isn't going to get any better, say in a month or two....I'm dropping IRV2.com all together......I don't need the PC'ers telling me how to talk and think and I don't appreciate editing with out permission-that is grounds for computer virus strikes and attracks by other irriational idiots and their followers which only clog up listers/visitors 'puters and cause stife-why the sudden twisting of the member colons?....OY!......geofkaye
Old 06-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #4

greetings...

My volvo VNL430 cummins isx was just completed as well. I am going to pick it up in a couple of weeks. I placed the order 9 months ago. I have had a class A (Monaco) motor home previously... problem was always getting the rig to handle the trailer appropriately....i.e. stopping. Now, with real engine braking this maybe an historical problem.
HiRevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #5

HiRevs....who built it?...why so long? Was it real special or what?.....send pix so we all can see....just don't ask me how to do pix -it's beyond me.....geofkaye
Old 06-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #6

Volvo chassis are ?hard to get. Perhaps demand is high and production is low?

Although looking at the Truck paper there are plenty to go around.

no photos yet.

unable to disclose dealer until after I collect the unit.

Can't wait to feel the torque though.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:06 PM   #7

I should add... that I was seriously underwhelmed by the MBZ motor. Specifically, the Local Frieghtliner dealer (salespersons and mechanics) warning me in advance.

I chose the volvo only becuase I could then choose a motor other than the Mercedez.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by HiRevs:
I should add... that I was seriously underwhelmed by the MBZ motor. Specifically, the Local Frieghtliner dealer (salespersons and mechanics) warning me in advance.

I chose the volvo only becuase I could then choose a motor other than the Mercedez.
I don't understand this statement. With Freightliner, you should have had the option of Mercedes, Caterpillar and Detroit. Your dealer should've made this clear.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:01 AM   #9

Dang and I thought 3 1/2 months for a M2 was long.

After taking a 5 hour spin in my new M2 with MBE926 and Allison Auto, I will say this.

If you have had or driven a truck with big ponies do not buy a M2 without a test drive first. If you are going to pull a large race trailer do not buy the M2 at all. If you want sports car performance do not buy a M2. You just are not going to be happy.

But if you are using it for RV'ing, towing smaller trailers or live and will use it mainly in the flatlands it is perfect. I will write a full report in a separate post, but for a new motor and tranie (which is still tight) I pulled some decent on-highway grades with little or no MPH fall off. On Flat on ramps it would be at about 55 by the time you hit the highway.

But the power was only a small portion of my decision for a M2 and a bigger portion is the maneuverability and I give it 2 thumbs up!!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:50 AM   #10

I did ask if I could get another Motor... A CAT would have been just fine. A dealer said that was not an option on the Frieghtliner ....Why did they not tell me?

Yet, independant of the motor, I spoke to two pro-long haulers on one local truck driver. They informed me that they had they worked for companies with freightliners -they were also very happy when the co. changed to Volvo. Partly for the engine but, moresofor the ergonomics of the cab.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:16 AM   #11

Don't get me wrong. I don't doubt for a minute that you'll be happy with the Volvo.
I just question a dealer not offering an engine that is available. According to Freightliners web-site, the M2 is available with a range of engines from Cat and MB.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #12

James:

I was thinking about this engine/chassis selection. It was over nine months ago. Now that I am thinking about it somemore... Perhaps the issue was that I wanted more brake horsepower to slow the rig AND stacker trailer. This was why I decided to go to a class 8 chassis from the outset. The only way to get that was with a more torque laden motor. For the size chassis that the Frieghtliner had the motors at the time were not suitable?

I had driven a freightliner conversion in a prelim. test drive and was nominally satisfied. I believe the motor was a MBz with ?300hp. It was fine without the trailer but, slow off the line and the engine brake or exhaust gas retarder was insufficient for the load I was going to haul.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #13

Yeah a M2 would not have been good for you at all.

The Columbia on the other hand would have worked equally as well as the Volvo and I am sure could have been had without delay. Columbia could be setup exactly like a Volvo.

Anyway, water under the bridge now. I am sure your gonna love the Volvo with that cool front end look.

Definitely post a few pics. What are you racing?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:42 AM   #14

I race a vintage Triumph TR4- some photos of it on my www site under "whats new".

http://www.headgasket.com
Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #15

I think I see the problem here. You guys are talking about the M2 100 when you mention the M2.
I'm looking at the larger M2 112. Which is available with much larger drivetrains. Including the 450HP MBE-4000 and the 430HP Cat C13.
Am I to assume the 112 isn't made available to the conversion world? That's a shame because it would fit comfortably in a niche of folks who want better manuverability than you get with the larger class 8's while still offering bigger horsepower and torque and more gears.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #16

Actually, I was talking the M2-106. Your right the 112 can be equiped with more ponies. But you don't see them to often because the cab dimensions are very close to the Columbia along with the price.

The Columbia (I think) looks prettier and the interior ergonomics (dash and such) in a Columbia is best of all of them in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:03 PM   #17

I drove an M2 112. The nose on it is horrible for seeing what's in front of you, if your going that route I would go Columbia. It was like a big snout in front of you and kid of ugly also, the cab always felt small to me on the M2, mind you I have a FL70 I drive most days for work.
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #18

Does anyone have a link to information on the Rockwell "freedom 12" transmission.

Thanks..

Mordy
Old 06-10-2005, 06:21 AM   #19

OK. disregard previous post please. I found the information on this 12sp automated transmission. I just had the name a bit off. I looking at the VIN the local dealer told me that the tranny was listed as a rockwell.. but, I found the build sheet and said it was a Arvin-Meritor ZF.

BTW...
1) Can the front brakes come in air/disc vs. Drum?
2) Is there a way to get air ride up front?

Mordy
Old 06-10-2005, 06:53 AM   #20

I have not seen any disc's up front (although I have not looked hard for this either) and I think the issue is heat. You would be amazed at how fast these brakes get hot on these things. Come off a big hill or into a rest area off the highway using brakes just a short time. Let it sit for about 5 or so minutes and touch your aluminum rims. Be careful, because those babies are smoken hot!

With that kind of heat so fast I think rotor warp would be a huge issues. And there is nothing worse than the vibration you get every time you hit the brakes with warped rotors.

I know FL will put air-ride on the front axle, but not sure what that would cost.

There are a few after market guys out there that you can add a system to your leaf spring front end. Basically the rear shackle bracket is replace with a air bag. I did Broc's on my FLD and it made a huge difference in the ride. The only issue I had with it is that it made the front end higher than stock by about 2-3 inches when you ran full air pressure in the bag. The other thing I noticed was a little more rock and roll in the chassis.

There is always a trade off when softening up the chassis for better ride.