Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-15-2005, 08:29 AM   #1

There are lots of new pictures of the frame and the rig skinned. Wahoo! I really have to thank Lonnie for the updates, it makes passing the time alot easier, specially when it took the chassis from FL so long to get.

Check them out in the photo gallery here --> http://truckconversion.net/photopost...y.php?cat=3015

We are in the Bullpen right not just itching to go into the finish shop, hopefully that happens sometime next week. Actually, it has to happen next week, because I am picking her up on May 20th come hell or high water.

We are heading out the following weekend and I got to make the trip or be put into a mental institution.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #2

Yep, that is how I saw it when I was there. They sure do have a lot of them to build...delivery dates into Sept already!

Old 04-25-2005, 06:13 PM   #3

Your right there, they are super busy.

We have made it back into the shop and the rough in of the interior is under way. They finished the insulation ,put the ceiling structure up, the wood floor is in, and they started the interior walls.

After we take delivery and I get a few miles under my belt I will be putting together a complete build blog with all kind of details on the build process which will be good for the newbies.

I will be posting some new pictures in the gallery under the Ultimate RV category tomorrow.

Bill
Old 04-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #4

Does anybody know how much weight a Show Hauler can hold on its roof. How much per sq.ft? When they tested it what was the rating?
I know Kingsley doesn't let more than three employees on the roof at any time just in case the roof will distort.
I know that Triton Motorcoach rates their roof at 15,000. This equates to 70 200 pound people. that seems enough?
Racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
I know Kingsley doesn't let more than three employees on the roof at any time just in case the roof will distort.
Distort, nothing, they don't want'em falling through! I'm surprised they allow even one guy up there. Their insurance must be murder....
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Triton Motorcoach
Racerx, welcome to the site any relation to the magazine?

BTW who is Triton Motorcoach? Couldn't find any info about them on the net.

70 people! I would hate to be the guy next to the edge.

I'll have to ask, but as much steel is in this thing I am sure I can easily have 10 people up there which is more than I'll ever need or be able to fit.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #7

Forget about being on the edge with 70 people, what about feeding them!
As far as Triton, They apparently are building a real high end conversion.
What I know so far, they have a 2004 Volvo 780 Stretched and at a company that builds Fire and Rescue vehicles. The unit has three slides, will carry a car and 3 motorcycles all inside.
The construction is mind boggling.
2X4, 2X3, 2X2 walls either 1/8" or 1/4" thick Aluminum depending on the location. The roof is Diamond plate, Walls skinned in 1/8" Aluminum.
The entire box is built just like a rescue vehicle.
I'll try and have the guy come forward with more info. I saw it while I was driving by and stopped to ask.
Apparently they have sold just one at $800K.
They may not become a high volume manufaturer, but they sure are setting the bar higher than anybody I have heard of.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #8

.....sounds like some bus deals.....all glitz and not much gutz....800k could buy you just about anything custom made the way you want it.....geofkaye
Old 04-29-2005, 12:23 PM   #9

Got some more info. I know the price makes you think of bus glitz, but I think this may be different. Apparently some yacht and private jet interior designer is doing the interior. Function and class, not glitz.
The truck has a Cummins 475 ISX with a 12 sp Meritor.
Rear frame looks very tough, frame rails have been doubled. Rear frame looks like it is made from 3/16" thick 2X5 and 2X4 tubing. skinned with 3/16 thick steel lots of gussets real nice welds. I couldn't find the guy who told me about it the last time I stopped by so
I stopped at the office, all the receptionist would tell me is that "some company called Triton is having them build a body module"
They wouldn't give me a name or ph. number, but they did give me an E-Mail.
Tritonmotorcoach@att.net
The fire trucks that I saw being built there are really nice high quality units, I assume the coach will be pretty nice too, who knows about the interior???
I'll bring my camera next time I am by there, it's on the way to my parents house, so next week I'll see if it is still there.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:16 PM   #10

.....no such page?...I may have Googled improperly though....geofkaye
Old 04-30-2005, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by KAYE RIVERCITY:
.....no such page?...I may have Googled improperly though....geofkaye
I tried too, many different ways, but got absolutely nowhere. I guess some folks gauge their exclusivity by the degree of difficulty required to contact them. Oh well....
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:23 PM   #12

Apparently it is just an E-Mail and not a page, I'll send them an E-Mail and see what comes back.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Racerx:
How do you know this?!?!? Kingsley does not say anything of this nature...it is simply not true. I have had 14 people on my roof without any problems. My roof has 2"x 4" aluminum framing in the roof on 12" centers, skinned with 1/2" ply on the top and 3/8" ply on the bottom and then laminated with 3/16" of fiberglass on the exterior over the entire length of the roof. Also, my rear ladder is bolted into 3/8" steel plates that are embedded in the rear wall. I have been on some Class As that I could actually feel the roof bowing under my feet as I walked across it and the ladder felt as if it was about to pull out of the wall as you climbed it. I do not know what my roof is rated for.

Gary,
You simply need to stop talking out of your arse. We all know that you do not like Kingsley's but you have yet to give any reasons (that are based in fact and not fantasy, such as this one). You have NO CLUE what you are talking about. I honestly think you just flap your lips just to hear yourself. Unless you have any FIRSTHAND knowledge of what you are posting please don't waste our time or the site's bandwidth. It is getting very old.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:29 PM   #14

....lighten up guys....I was at a trailer manufacture[ELIMINATOR] standing in the rear of a $26k car hauler....it had snow on it's roof....about 6 inches as I was talking to the salesmonkey I noticed that the roof had bowed and mentioned it...I truly was thinking of the weight of the snow. The salesmonkey started with excuses having to do with the heat inside of the trailer and the cold causing the roof to expand......I ask why did it expand downwards......that was the end of that sales pitch.....I measured it and it was a full 1 1/2" differance between the center of the trailer and the outside edge measured on the inside of course.....My new trailer[W & M] has a sign stating not to climb on the roof....this is to warn the vandals to not try to steal the A/C Unite....cus the next thing they hear is the blast of a 12 ga. shotgun....or should I say the last thing they are going to hear.......up through the roof into the nutsack!....geokaye
Old 05-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #15

Bill, I don't believe that your construction is standard Kingsley construction. Does the 5+" thick roof cut down on your head room? Perhaps you could get Kingsley to comment directly.
In the Kingsley section, I believe there is a detailed description of their standard and "custom" construction.
Other than taking a cheap shot at the Kingsley Customer who was unfortunate to have his Kingsley burn to the ground back in 2003.

They didn't dispute that the construction techniques and materials are exactly as he describes.

By my guess, if you had 14 adults on your roof, and they weighed 160lbs on average, and were standing on 4 square feet each, you could have a total weight on the roof of approx. 6-7 tons. Assuming the whole roof is as strong as the part you were standing on. You didn't say anything about the walls, they actually have to carry the whole load, in this case 162 lbs per foot. From what I know I wouldn't be as comfortable as you are, but then again, I'm an engineer so I look for facts not assurances.
I would run that by Kingsley and get one of their degreed engineers to sign off on your use. Can't be too safe or to skeptical when lives are at stake.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #16

Kaye Rivercity, good point on the sign, It should read: "Anybody climbing on the roof will be shot, survivors will be shot again..." LOL
Old 05-02-2005, 06:58 AM   #17

It seems we have a case of the pot and the kettle here...

Quote:
Other than taking a cheap shot at the Kingsley Customer who was unfortunate to have his Kingsley burn to the ground back in 2003.
I know Kingsley doesn't let more than three employees on the roof at any time just in case the roof will distort

Distort, nothing, they don't want'em falling through! I'm surprised they allow even one guy up there. Their insurance must be murder.

I understood Bill to say this topic was closed...
I don't know what axe some people have to grind (and really don't care) but it is getting old..
I am sure many people (me included) enjoy the exchange of information this forum allows but this backbiting is getting tedious.. I am sure that Kingsley is not going to come on and answer all the allegations/accusations/inuendos of everyone with a hidden agenda.. As an engineer I am sure someone would insist on doing their own research and being certain before making ASS U ME ptions. Besides that, this thread is supposed to be to celebrate Bill's new mansion on wheels.. (in the making).
And this is just MY 2 cents worth.
John
5erFool (John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #18

Racerx

When I spec'd out my coach I stated that I wanted the roof to be strong enough to hold several people at a time since I travel to several forms of racing events. The fiberglass roof was also an add-on...I did not want to deal with a rubber roof with all of these people walking on it. I also asked that the ladder be very strong since my dad weighs in at 325#.

By the way how did you come up with 6-7 tons? By my math 14 x 200# = 2800# or 1.4 tons. Sure you have the 2 a/c units, the sat dish, and a few vents to add in there but I do not see that stuff weighing 5-6 tons. Just curious.

John, couldn't agree more and am glad I am not alone.