Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #1

We'll the truck was completed last night. And I love it! It looks awesome!<BR><BR>But my excitment is tempered with the knowledge that the truck has some issues that need to be taken care of. The small issues are a ABS sensor light is on, steering wheel needs to be centered, trailer wiring needs to be added (this was a Freightliner Factory mistake) and the biggy the motor lacks power.<BR><BR>So Nathan at becksmarine.com has been awesome. He knows I need to pick this up for a upcoming trip so he had one of his drivers rush down this morning to pick it up and get it over to D&K Freightliner to fix these issues. I also have been on the phone with Edward Merrill at D&K (who also has been great) to see how fast they can get these issues resolved. I should hear tomorrow exactly what I am looking at as far as time to fix this thing.

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #2

Warpath.. LOOKS AWESOME, nice graphics, Who did them for you? I would like to do somehting with our white whale

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:51 PM   #3

Yeah the graphics make a huge difference.

Check out Performance Painting --> http://www.performancepainting.com/rv_graphics.htm
Old 06-04-2005, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by Warpath:
... trailer wiring needs to be added (this was a Freightliner Factory mistake) and the biggy the motor lacks power...
FYI... my local Freightliner dealer told me that the trailer wiring is no longer a factory option and must provided by the body conversion company.

Re: motor lacks power... are you saying that the 300 HP you've spec'd isn't enough or that there's something wrong with the engine?

Thanks for tracking the build progress on this site. Very informative and helpful!
Old 06-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #5

Here is the latest.

The trailer wiring actually was there (added by D&K back in Feb), but Show Hauler had trouble either finding it or connecting to it, not sure.

The ABS sensor wire was cut during the build, they thought this happened when the levelers where added. A wire running to to the ignition and some wires to the diagnostic plug where also cut. Not sure when or why that happened. But this kinda stuff is indicative of the way my luck has run on this project.

Once these are repaired they will move on to the motor. What is happening is that it runs rough and stumbles when starting off. Once it gets wound up it seems to run good. Boost pressure is right, compression is good. So they are hoping with the wires fixed they will either be able to get more information through the diagnostic computer or it solves the issue. It also could be a matter of adjusting a valve or injectors. If this does not solve the issue they need to get Detroit Diesel techs involved. If that happens I could be looking at a long delay. I don't even want to think about that at this point.

D&K doesn't work weekends so I will have to wait until Monday to continue the nightmare.

Anyway, I am extremely disappointed with the truck and the problems I ran into on this build. Don't get me wrong I love the final product as far as I can tell through pictures. But I cannot tell you how fed up I am with the delays. I was prepared for some delays but a 7 month build, I was not.

I am a believer that everything happens for a reason, and the only thing I can come up with so far is that someone is trying to tell me that this is the last custom rig you'll ever want to build.

For now I sit bored out of my mind just waiting to use a rig I have been paying for since February. We missed 4 planned weekend trips already and now a week long work/vacation is only days away from getting scraped as well.

Bill