Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-28-2006, 02:20 AM   #1

We are about half way through this coach and I have posted pictures here:

http://homepage.mac.com/desnick/JAKM...otoAlbum9.html

Well continue to post photso weekly and in some cases daily.

Tony

http://www.toolsetmotorhomes.com

anthony desnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #2

Nice stuff Anthony! Pretty close to what I would like to do!
Keep 'em coming.......
Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #3

only two windows?
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. There are three windows and it's less than i would design into my own unit. This coach will live in the Southern US and our client is concerned more about heat gain. The windows are large and should light the bedroom and the living area adequately.

Tony

http::/www.toolsetmotorhomes.com
Old 05-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #5

I see your point; if large enough and properly located, 2 windows in the "living" area and one or two in the rear bedroom would actually do quite nicely.......
Gary
Old 05-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #6

Makes sense. I guess being in he north east I like having a lot of windows...
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #7

Nothing wrong with that either, I guess; so long as they're double-pane to retain heat/cold, and have shades/curtains for the same reason and to regulate light levels.....
Old 05-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #8

There are a few interior pictures up. Progress...

ToolSet Motorhomes
Old 05-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #9

Hello Anthony, Say that Volvo is "SWEET" very nice layout not to mention the Quality & Workmanship. I have only seen photos of your Builds and pretty much between (what I have seen in photos only also) you and the things Spooner spits out they are nice units. I'd give away my left n*t to see how Spooners "O'Malley" is doing but I have'nt seen any photos or even a post from him in quite awhile. Well enough of my impersanation of an Old Man sitting on a park Bench feeding the pidgeons. After all this I do have a question. All The Steel Framework That You Frame The Skeleton Out With.Is It Heavy Duty Weight Steel? From The Way It Looks. Is It All Tied In The Same Way As If You Were Building A Ten (10) Story Building???? I am assuming(really hate that word)that the roof is very strong and by the time you get all that nailed together.THERES NOT MUCH MOVIN.What is the shortest one you have built??? (Just the box)

Thanks,
M.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:55 AM   #10

Thanks for your comments. The framing is typically 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 steel tubes welded (all the way around) at 16 oc. Pretty typical I think. With the plywood (not particle board) you get some pretty serious sheer strength. Not sure why but we always seem to hit on the 24.5 feet in length. It works out nicely because it equals 5 whole exterior sheets minus overlap. However if a client approaches us and wants a shorter unit, we;ll build it. As an architect i have become quite good at designing efficient usable spaces in a small volume.

I too am intrigued by Spooner's project and would love to see more photos. We are seriously considering moving our subcontract for the exterior to another supplier who builds in aluminum. They have come up with some very cool extrusions and i would love to intergrate into the interior design.

Tony

ToolSet Motorhomes
Old 06-27-2006, 04:07 AM   #11

NEW PICS POSTED

Tony

ToolSet Motorhomes
Old 06-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #12

NICE work Tony! Any chance of posting a floorplan of this rig? Only thing I would do different is keep the truck sleeper and use it for a couple more bucket seats along with adding a window on each side of the sleeper (just MY personal preference!). Plus I think the sleeper makes the whole rig a little sleeker looking.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #13

Coach is finished and delivered. Final pics can be found here:

Tony

www.toolsetmotorhomes.com
Old 08-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #14

Very nice! About what sort of price does such a conversion command, excluding truck? The quality shows!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #15

Thanks Gary. Without the cost of the stretched truck it would sell in the neighborhood of $125K. The automatic inverter (3500W)/gen start (7500W) system accounted for a bit of the cost.

Tony

Old 08-24-2006, 06:40 AM   #16

Volvo query: how do most folks deal with the integral sleeper? It seems expensive to buy a sleeper equipped truck just to cut it off, and I wonder about the structural integrity impacts. Since Volvo now has an 800 series day cab, I am less reticent about using one as the basis for a conversion. (Mine will be as big as legally possible, about 45', and I am considering the Cummins ISX 500ST more than the Cat C15 now; I am looking at this as a long term residence and travel option.) The same sleeper concerns apply to the KW 2000. I had been leaning toward a Western Star for a variety of reasons, and will not consider a Freightliner, but there is a Volvo dealer near me and our office manager's hubby does sales there so I can special order more easily.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:03 AM   #17

In our experience, sleeper cabs on used trucks don't command a premium price. In fact one good alternative is the FL reconditioned day cabs. These are old FL Centuries that the factory takes, cuts off the sleepers and reconditions for re-sale. A moot point for you however. The Volvo engines get rave reviews re: fuel efficiency and that may be one reason to go to a new Volvo. Western Star is a great choice especially mated to a long box. It will have the look of a truck that can pull a big coach (even thought weight and size is never an issue for any big block engine). Good luck and contact us if we can help.

Tony

Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #18

What happened to ToolSet Motorhomes? The link doesn't work. Dick
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #19

Tony Desnick is a friend of mine. He went back to work as an architect so doesn't build coaches anymore. He only put together a few of them but they were pretty nice. Completely custom to order. I don't know if any of his coaches belong to any posters here.