Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #1

Default Trade truck/truckcamper for Conversion

The truck is an '02 Ford XLT F250 7.3 liter PowerStroke diesel Supercab, with long bed. It has a bit less than 78K miles on the clock. It has Rancho nitrogen shocks and Timbren suspension bolsters to handle the weight of the camper. Tires are in excellent condition; used only about 15K miles since replacement. I replaced the truck's Class 5 tag hitch with an even more stout Reese TowBeast hitch, so that I could use a heavy duty hitch extension bar that extends beyond the rear of the camper and allows me to tow a trailer for my motorcycle. I haven't checked in while, but when I last did the truck was getting 18 mpg solo, and 11 mpg when towing the ~14K KZ 5th wheel.

The camper is a '99 Lance 1030, which I believe is pretty much the biggest non-slide camper that would fit a long-bed pickup. It has electric jacks for getting it on/off the truck. Amazingly spacious and complete, considering that it's all in the back of a pickup. The interior is in excellent shape and everything works (as of a month ago), with 2 single beds over the cab and full kitchen and dry-bath facilities. The TV is a pre-digital unit, so I just use the digital tuner of the DVD player to pick up broadcast signals. Only known 'issue' is that there was a water leak in the front over-cab extension that was fixed before I bought it, which caused the outer skin to get a little wrinkled in one spot. No further leaks in the 4+ years we've owned it. I did a preventative resealing job a couple years ago.

I'm shopping for a class 8 conversion to tow the yet-to-be-purchased 5th wheel toyhauler. Would prefer a Volvo 770/780.

Eric Diehl
email: oed at ericdiehl dot com

ediehl is offline   Reply With Quote