Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #1

Hi all. I'm searching for a truck conversion to replace my Allegro class A. I found a United Specialties with a 26' box built on a '03 FL70. Cat C7. Truck has never been titled. Only 3k miles. Looks brand new. Has 40k hitch. I can't find any info on combined gross veh. weight to determine if I can pull a 20k trailer with this rig. I think the engine is rated at 300 h/p. It's also got a 6 speed Allison auto. Any thoughts on something like this? I've found some class 8 truck conversions but the ones I've found are older and much higher mileage for the same money as this FL70 one. Will I be unhappy with the truck not being heavy duty enough?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #2

......FUEL MILEAGE WILL BE >5.0 MPG WITH THE TRAILER AT MOST<300 hp....AT 55MPH. are sure one can get away with such a small unite to tow with?...."I"wouldn't tow with it-but alone it sounds good-without the price being stated-I'd suggest around $55-60k sight unseen........HDT will get better mileage and provide more safety and the towing issue will never be a problem.....also one can have the engine de-rated to improve fuel mileage.....watch for the attic separating at the inside cut just above the cab and a wrinkle starting in that area between the window-[should there be one in the area less than 2' from the cut] and the cut out....they have a tendency to start there......dam hard to fix with the type of lamination that united uses.......geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #3

Ya, that's what I was kinda thinking too. Thanks for backing me up on it. I ruled that one out as underpowered and overloaded. I've got a couple class 8 conversions I'm leaning toward now. The search continues.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #4

.....AH!! THE CHASE!....AND CAPTURE!......geofkaye
Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #5

Oh ya. I'm not seeing huge price drops in their asking prices yet tho. They are keeping their optimistic faces on and claiming, "oh ya, the market remains strong for these types of rigs." HA. As they lay by the roadside dying I will swoop in to steal one.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #6

If you don't want this one. is there and ad for it anywhere??? Or is it on a website??
racermpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #7

Oh yes, I'm sorry. Now that I've ruled this out I'm free to show it to others, hahahaah.

http://www.westsidemotorcoach....alties_Motorhome.htm

I looks very nice if you don't need to pull a heavy trailer and get through the mountains. I'd offer them about $75k tho.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #8

...there are a few issues, one being a 60" Queen bed...55 inches is a double bed in the real world...must be a "MH" bed measurement!...'course if they take 15 inches off everything-things are a little small for that price. 'Gade used to build really good stuff-but is suspect now that the market has tanked-they have cheapened up if they follow the rest of the crowd down the path to instant poverty......I suspect that they are cheapening on the things that used to mean a quality unite-like warranty-insulation-fit and finish-thickness of materials-quality of materials.....sorta like a new house in a subdivision-the ''show house'' if really done right-but the sales houses are cracker boxes and made of cardboard......I have been in the business for 25 years and am always amazed at what the uneducated buyer will get[besides being bent over].....noticed at a marine show 2 weekends ago that the high end house boats have foam plastic trim instead of wood anymore-means that it can't be refinished at all-only replaced. Everything on a boat needs to be able to be refinished-no exclusions at all!.....geofkaye