Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #1

Default Here's a pretty nice one for sale

2005 43' Showhauler Motorhome For Sale For Sale

Interesting story about this one. I looked real hard at this one in April '09. I knew he had been trying to sell it since at least spring '08. Remember where the economy was in April '09? In the toilet. He was asking $140k then. It's a very nice rig and was just about exactly what I was looking for. I offered him $120k. He said "no." It's been for sale all this time. Interesting it's down to $100k now. Guess he should have taken my $120k three years ago. Oh well. I'm very glad he didn't because I like the truck I got better. And, I spent a lot less than $120k on mine. Anyhow, I think it's pretty well priced now. It's a very nice coach, did I say that? Somebody should come to MN to look at it or buy it. I live right by the airport and would be happy to pick anybody up and take them to look at it.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #2

Interesting..... in as much that I wonder whether that's a sleeper cab that had it's rear wall cut out and somehow was connected to the "box"...and I wonder how that works....

Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #3

Yes, I didn't look at the transition that close but I seem to remember a small step over into the sleeper from the living quarters. I'm guessing they removed the air ride for the sleeper cab and fixed it down to the frame. Pretty sure it's got a boot sealing the two together. I like the way the sleeper is set up with the two jacknife sofas that turn into a bed. It's got lots of nice lighting too. And quality woodwork throughout. I never took it for a drive (I suppose I should have done that before making an offer?) so somebody come to look at it and we can take it for a drive.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #4

With the T2000 having an integral sleeper/cab, I have wondered how they handled the transition to the box. would hate to give up the air ride on the sleeper cab, but it does not look like there is much of a gap between the cab and box for movement, so I am assuming it has to have been removed.

It seems to be in nice shape, although they do not list how many miles on the tractor. At that price it almost makes my ready to compromise my list of requirements a bit.

Bob, aside from not being able to make a deal, what do you think of the dealer? Its a bit far for met to visit on my planned trip to Indiana next month, but after I see how much it takes to get what I am looking for, who knows this one might become closer to what i am able to get..lol

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #5

Dave, when I looked at it it was on consignment at Buses For Sale at BusesAndMore.com - Buy Buses and Sell Buses . The guy that owned it lived in Mound, MN. I'm not sure if it's still on consignment at buses or the owner has taken it back? Seems kind of funny if they kept the ad at buses after the owner took it back. But, it looks like the lister on racingjunk just joined there in Feb. '12. And I'm pretty sure the owner of busesandmore is Ralph Dickenson and I'm pretty sure he's been putting rigs on racingjunk for a long time. Ralph is a very nice guy, from my several meetings with him. Seems pretty honest to me. I wasn't worried about working with him. I had no contact with the owner, other than talking to him on the phone about a year prior when I saw the rig driving down the road with a for sale sign and phone number on the side and called him. The odometer showed mid 700k when I was looking at it. Ralph told me it had had an in frame a couple hundred k ago. He had no paperwork on it but thought the owner should have that. When I was looking at it I wasn't very smart about this stuff. I would want to now see any proof of a rebuild. And I'd take it to a shop that can do a dyno on it and get an oil analysis. If you wanted me to I'd be happy to go to the truck and draw an oil sample and have it analyzed. I can buy a sample kit at my nearby Kenworth dealer for about $20. And I don't mind driving over to get the oil. This way you'd be assured it's an honest sample, not some oil he got from some other engine. You should call him and ask him about the engine rebuild too? The Showhauler builds seem real nice to me. I like this layout too.

It's not too far out of your way to come through MN. Are you driving on this shopping trip? When are you coming through? I'm going to co-drive the One Lap of America - the Official Webpage with my son and that's going to tie us up for the first 2 weeks of May. Seems to me you're coming over in May?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #6

Bob, thanks for your generous offer, When I get closer to actually unloading my wallet I may take you up on it. At the moment I am still planning (unless I see a rig that meets all my quirky requirements) and trying to see if I can get exactly what I am looking for before I seriously start looking at individual rigs. I am hoping that my upcoming Indiana to Missouri pilgrimage will answer many of my questions, and help me narrow down the choices. We are going to fly back on May 18th and rent a car to run around, and then take the train back home the following Saturday. I am going to visit Hawk Engineering, Showhauler, Renegade and Haulmark. Also thanks to some input from Gordy, I am going to see about adding in NRC. My better half does not have any experience with the big rigs, so this will also help her visualize what we are getting into lol. you are right on the money with having a shop do an inspection and getting an oil sample. Best part is a lot of these rigs have been for sale for a very long time and prices are good. Worst part is what I am looking for in a rig is not so popular so If I do go used there will be some compromises, and I have to compare that to the cost savings.

Checked out the One Lap web site, that looks like a whole lot of fun. Something else to add to my bucket list perhaps... sitting here pointing out to the wife how much fun it would be...she says she would be ok with the transit driving part..will leave the track to me. Makes the 2K miles we are going to do in the rental car over 7 days a walk in the park. Good luck to you both on your adventure.

Dave
Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #7

ive seen a few of those rigs where that have the integrated sleeper....looks nice from the outside but it seems like a waste of space / disconnected space from the living quarters inside...and ive never seen anyone really do anything w/ it other than 2 couches.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #8

I don't know, Don. My rig it feels kind of seperated from the living room when I'm driving. It's hard for me to interact with the guests. It seems like having those two sofas right there would make it closer to the driver for the guests. And, I think it seems to make a better bed than the over cab beds that a lot of builders build. My rig doesn't have a bed up there, it's just a huge cabinet, so I'm not sure how useful those beds are. My guess is I'm too old and fat to climb up into one for the night.

Dave, did you see the Hawk coach for sale here: Balin Family - Home ? Now that's a nice rig too. I really like that one. I was seriously considering buying that one except with the lower deck garage it only allows a 10k hitch. I may some day buy a stacker trailer so wanted to have a 40k hitch.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #9

I believe that Jason has said he has the Balin coach back at his facility, so I will be taking a look at it when I am there. I am torn on the idea of retaining the sleeper on a conversion. It does give a better (also thinking safer)place for passengers to ride. It does however seem redundant to have two couches there and third one in the main portion of the coach. another plus is with a curtain you get a second bedroom for guests so they are not sleeping in your living room. In place of the couches, I have considered. having a second pair of air ride seats on a swivel base so they can be turned around and somewhat become part of the main living room. They would be set back enough from the front seats to allow for a small desk in front of each. That way passengers can work on laptops or projects, and then Michelle and I can use them as a small office when parked. With the two seats lowered and reclined there would be room for a double bed to lower down from the ceiling similar to the beds in a toy hauler, creating the second bedroom. While I have not taken the time to measure and lay this out based on real dimensions, I think its possible, and can create a flexible space that provides comfortable forward facing seating for four on the road, a usable office space, and an extension of the living room.

The two biggest issues I have with the Balin coach (from only having seen pictures of course), are very short head room in the rear bedroom over the garage, and the hole from the cab to the sleeper is a duck under. It looks like they did this to retain the stock folding upper bunk in the sleeper. Later versions of this truck from Jason have the bunk removed and a full walk through. I am thinking then it would be a possibility to remodel this one.

Dave