Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-21-2016, 01:00 AM   #1

Default German Expedition Truck

Hello together.
I'm a 59 yaer old german traveller, actually on the road in the US and Canada until August 16.
My journey is a sort of Lifedreamrealisation.As I took the decision for this journey 4 years ago,
the original aim was to go to Australia.But when my truck was ready to go, the fares for shipping
had risen so much, that it did not make sense anymore. 15 000$ one way and no possibility to sell my
truck there, because the gouverment doesn't allow lefthanddriven vehicles older than 10 years.
So I decided to visit your country for one year. It is big enough and there are lots of natural wonders as well.
After journeys to Iceland, Russia and Marokko I started the longterm one September 15th last year in Halifax, Canada.
I went down to Florida, crossed the country via Texas to California and am now in Washington.

My vehicle is a former German Railway service truck Iveco-Magirus 120-17 ANW allwheel drive.
As I prefer to spend my money in travelling and not in the vehicle I decided to buy a used, well maintained truck
and convert it myself to an expedition truck. You can buy these sort of vehicle costummade, but they start at 200 000 $
As I bought the truck, it was 20 years old and had about 40 000 mls. On a 20 year old truck you have to look after
every hose and fitting, renew brakes and suspension and a lot of other things.
Ok, I didn't do all the work myself, for several tasks I needed professional help, that had to be paid.
Then I started to convert the truck to a Camper after my needs.
Europeen camper are different from american RVs. You have houses on wheels, we have hightec-tents on wheels.
That means no aircondition, no microwave, no TV and no 30 Amps for example.
But with my truck you don't need a Campground for a long time.
There are for example 100 gal water in two tanks, one kept fresh with UV, 600W of Solarpannels on the roof.
two BtB Loaders,a Charger for batteries and several electric Changers, from 110V to 240 V 1500 W, 3 from 24V to 12V 45A and 10A
from 24V to 240V 1000W.
Inside is a shower with 5gal hot water electrical boiler 24V and 240V 400W and 600W, a chemicalfree toilet with two 4gal blackwater
mobile tanks.
The main intrest was, to keep things simple and easy to replace in case of breakdown. Actually the onbord batteries are new with a capacity
of 160 A/h.

The truck has a 6 litres aircooled diesel turbo engine with 170 DIN-PS. The truck is nonelectronical. A manual gearbox fully synchoniesed with a 50% reduction.
Middle-differential lock and Rear-differential lock. A 5t-hydraulic winch in front with 180 feet cable. A 100 gal alu-tank. 3 point balances for the cage.
A rear plattform, removable, for the 300 ccm Honda Scooter. A crane for scooter and spare wheel. Actually are mounted 385/65 22,5 construction truck
tires, because they are chaeper and last longer than the offroadtires.The maximum speed is 65 mls/h but normally I drive with 50 - 55 mls/h on Interstates.
Than I get 11 mls/gal. Offroad that can go to 5 mls/gal.

At the end of my journey in August this year I intend to sell my Truck. Actually it has nearly 100 000 miles.
It is registrated in Germany and it will be the task of the buyer to do the paperwork for import and registration.
The buyer will get a vehicle unique in the US and Canada. The truck comes together with all metric tools and a lot of spareparts.
Also with the 2008 Honda Scooter with nearly 5000 mls, a new Stihl motorsaw and all camping equipment for two persons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095-1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2292

Name:	IMG_0097_Bildgröße ändern 2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2293

Name:	IMG_0903_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2294

Name:	IMG_0905_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2295

My idea are 90 000 $ or best offer.

You will get all books to repair and the adresses of special sellers of spareparts in Germany, that will send their parts worldwide.
If we agree in the price, I shall bring the truck where you want it in US and Canada and offer a short driving training.
I also offer to send the offroadtires, 4 with 60%, one with 90% and two new ones from Gemany.

My phonenumber is 352 561 6472

Questions you can post here, I shall answer as soon as possible, but as I don't have mobile Internet, I look in the Net only if I get Free Wifi.

Plesase excuse bad English, I am better in talking than in whriting.

Rolf

A few more photos in the next Post

viper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:04 AM   #2

Default German Expedition truck 2

a few more photos

Name:	IMG_0098.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	2296

Name:	IMG_0906_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2297

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	2298

viper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

Wow, what a great adventure! I'm jealous. Very very neat camper too. It seems like a very fair price to me. Thanks for joining our forum and posting. Good luck with the sale.