Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #1

Comments?

Nice bus here. I really like the look of those large upstairs windows that wrap around the entire bus. Makes it look space age and modern.

The upstairs area must have an interesting view when parked or driving down the road.

How much space is on the first level or is the living area all upstairs...? What's on the first level, drivers area and under bay storage units...?

Anyone own one or been in one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Neoplan-Skyliner-40...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #2

In Europe where these busses are coming from, usually they were used as OTR long distance busses. Had seating up and all the storage as well as bathrooms, kitchenete downstairs. Some even had some sort of party seating arrangments downstairs.

There is one couple who just recently converted a Neoplan and showed the full conversion, step by step pics, florplan.. all the stuff. Cant find the webpage anymore. Was a private blog. I think they had some extra batteries, tanks and garage for golf cart down.

Walter

WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
Jay

Was this the site:

http://www.ourodyssey.us/
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #4

.....If I wanted a bus- I'd get to know Buddy Gregg in Tennessee....unless I had a lot of money to spend then I'd go to RV.....just an insiders hint......guess who?....[a relative of "sorts"]......
Old 11-09-2005, 09:29 AM   #5

Yes Jay, that was the site.

Has really lots of info, floorplan, underbay layout, electrical schmeatic and lots more...

Interesting if you want to know what you can do with a shell like that. Takes time though to go through all the different links. go to photo site/gallerie and then floorplans. Thats gives the fastest overview.

Walter
Old 11-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #6

Just found this picture on their site. A picture of the upstairs front.
http://truckconversion.net/photopost....php?photo=914

I really like the panoramic view. Look at the blue swivel chairs. Imagine being a passenger, with a cold drink, sandwich in hand, tv on... while being driven down some really nice backroads somewhere, chatting on the cb...That's got to be the best unrestriced view available.

Now if the upstairs windows hinge and open...that would be interesting. The floor plan shows the window next to the toilet and the window in the upstairs rear bedroom are the only ones that open.

If you look carefully, you can see a black and white cat sitting on the floor next to the chair...Kitty seems to enjoy the rig...

I just did some reading and picture viewing. They took that bus almost completely apart and rebuilt the entire interior...

Can anyone try to estimate how much they spent on the bus and then the rebuild?

The statement of work list here is quite interesting and thorough... http://home.ix.netcom.com/~swelsh/SOW.htm
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #7

...error:....12.2 "two 5# LPG bottles......"boy are they going to have a supprise.......geofkaye
Old 11-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by KAYE RIVERCITY:
...error:....12.2 "two 5# LPG bottles......"boy are they going to have a supprise.......geofkaye
Do you mean that the 2 tanks will not provide enough fuel, that they will run out quickly?

Their website says they wanted small bottles so they could have them refilled by carrying them on their motorcycles.

Maybe they carry more in a storage bay?

They tore the whole part of the bus apart and put it back together...How much do you think that cost?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #9

.....Most of the bottles are not refillable IIRC...cant see the reasoning when you pay that much atttention to the coach....geofkaye
Old 11-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #10

I thought elsewhere they said they got 11# bottles which can be refilled. Either way hauling a normal grill sized propane bottle on a bike is easy enough.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:47 AM   #11

Hello! My husband and I are the owners of the '85 Neoplan that you are discussing. Thanks for the compliments and the comments.

Geof is right, we've been very surprised...pleasantly surprised! It turns out that our two small propane tanks will last us 3-4 months and we've had no problem getting them refilled.

We use the propane only for cooking, not for refrigeration or heating. Our fridge is a 24V compressor style, which can run over a week on our batteries, and we use either electricity or diesel for heat. (We use the electric heaters if we are plugged in or if the generator is running). We also have an electric burner for cooking if we run out of propane or if we're plugged in. That has worked quite well.

If you're interested in reading more about the cooking/heating stuff, go here, and scroll about half way down the page.

We've been living full time in our rig for 15 months now, including a 6 week stint of dry camping. There have been a few minor tweaks of the setup, but all in all, we've been very, very pleased with how everything is working. We typically go 10 to 14 days before we need to dump/fill, and between the generator, alternator and good batteries, we rarely need to hookup. The sense of independence is just great!

-Louise
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #12

Well, welcome here and congrats on your bus.

You know that you opened the floodgate now for questions on all differents aspects of your coach.

Walter
Old 11-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #13

....I wonder about the "Fork Lift Batteries"....I believe I looked at an all electric coach in the building stages at the Old Custom Coach in Columbus Ohio many years ago.....seems IIRC 2 Kali electrical engineers were having Custom Coach build them a special coach of their design-with the storage capasity of 2 or 4 fork lift batteries.....everything was Electric but the engine.....wonder what happened to that coach?.....I know Custom Coach was very interested in the engineering of the concept of an all electric coach.....they were also building Roger Penske's Custom coach[BLACK] at the time.....been a long time ago and I don't remember all the details......anyway.....they were going to sell me a used MCI coach made for a coal mine owner in NE Ohio....it had an all leather interior and was $86,000 at the time-but I still owned the Sanibel house and had not sold it yet...otherwise I'd be driving that rather than the Volvo and trailer now.....geofkaye
Old 12-08-2005, 09:07 AM   #14

The same bus that was for sale in Nov at starting bid of $ 140K is now up again with a starting bid of 120K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 12-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #15

....If I was going to buy a bus conversion I'd insist on a VanHool above anything else.....I saw a commerical ALpha Bus and it was the most well appointed bus I've ever seen....in commercial dress.....geofkaye