Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #1

For all you bus lovers, check this one out. Photos don't do it justice. I bet it rides very smooth.

I ride the previous model MCI once or twice a year and they are such nice machines in the way they feel inside.

How much do you think it cost new?

Paint job is a bit busy for my tastes. A rotating leather couch or recliners up front for the passengers would be nice for driving and when you park you can spin them facing inside if you'd like.

The picture showing the shower, it looks like that person has no privacy if there is somebody lying on the bed. What do you think of that?

Any of you driven a transmission with a retarder like the one here is describing here?

This coach is equipped with the Allison B500R automatic transmission, the R stands for Retarder. What this does is give you the driver, a 6 position joy stick on the left side console to slow the coach down without using your expensive brakes! If you have never used one of these it is AWESOME! It's ten times more effective than a Jacobs Engine brake by itself. I cannot stress this driving feature enough, it really is tremendous!

Comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ex-Sterling-Marlin-03-Bu...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Text from the ad:

This is a full blown, full size, 45', double slide out, 500 hp, MCI BUS! If you are not familiar with MCI let me give you an introduction. To build this incredible coach the folks at Klein Interiors started with a 2000 year model MCI Renaissance E4500 45' Double Slide Bus.

Here is the description on MCI's website,

MCI® - E4500 Renaissance LUXURY FLAGSHIP Our flagship luxury coach, the MCI E4500 is built to impress, from its modern silhouette to its state-of-the art componentry. Your passengers will notice the difference, starting with the hushed ride and continuing with top-of-the-line amenities. The E4500. For those operators who insist upon first-class all the way.

You may have heard the story of world famous John Madden the football commentator never flies to the games. For years Mr. Madden has been moved around the country by bus. His latest choice? The MCI E4500 "Outback Steakhouse Madden Cruiser"! I doubt any of us can boast more miles in a coach than him, and he's NOT in a Prevost.

With headquarters in Schaumburg, Illinois, MCI is the leading designer, manufacturer, and marketer of intercity coaches in the U.S. and Canada. Here is the history behind the leader.

In 1933, Winnipeg repair shop owner Harry Zoltok introduced his first vehicle design, an 11-passenger body on a Packard chassis, sketched for his workers on the factory floor. It was that moment that the company then known as Fort Garry Motor Body and Paint Works Limited began a journey of growth and innovation.

The company took the name Motor Coach Industries in 1941, and remained a small regional builder of coaches until 1948, when Greyhound of Canada acquired 65 percent of the company. Ten years later, in 1958, Greyhound Lines of Canada Ltd., acquired the entire company, leading to some of the greatest advancements in models ever including the very first 40-foot coach, the MC-6, which evolved into the MC-9, the nation's all-time best-selling coach until recently, when it was displaced by the MCI D-Series. In 1994, Grupo Dina of Mexico bought MCI and embarked on a new era in motor coach manufacturing with the 1997 launch of the luxurious E4500 and the development of another model for Greyhound, the G4500. In June 1999, MCI was acquired by its current majority owners JLL Partners (Joseph Littlejohn & Levy), a leading private equity investment firm. In 2003, MCI invested $40 million (U.S.) in the expansion of its Winnipeg ISO-certified plant and moved the production of the G4500 from its former Mexico plant to Winnipeg, integrating the model into the E4500/J4500 mixed-platform line.

Today, with headquarters in Schaumburg, Illinois, and plants in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and Pembina, North Dakota, Motor Coach Industries is North America's leading manufacturer of intercity coaches serving charter and tour operators; line-haul and scheduled-service operators; transit agencies; and conversion companies. With more than 2,000 employees, MCI also operates seven sales centers and nine MCI service centers and is a leading supplier of coach and bus replacement parts.

If there was any doubt as to the history of the modern bus platform let's just say it wouldn't be where it is today without MCI!

Consider the following long list of standard features built into this world class chassis,

"¢ Engine Manufacturer: Detroit Diesel Series 60 at 500 hp, DDEC V 12.7-liter
"¢ Transmission: Allison B500R automatic transmission, six forward speeds and one reverse speed
"¢ Front Axle: Meritor 16,500 lb (7,484 kg)
"¢ Rear Axles: Meritor axles; 23,000-lb (10,432 kg) drive; 16,500-lb (7,484kg) tag
"¢ Wheels: Polished aluminum hub-piloted 22.5 x 9.0
"¢ Brakes: Lucas all-wheel disc with automatic brake slack adjusters
"¢ Parking Brake: MGM spring brake on drive and tag axles
"¢ Fuel System: 222 U.S. gal (840 L) Fuel fill on both sides!
"¢ Body Type: Semi-monocoque low-corrosion stainless steel
"¢ Exterior Skin: Front- and rear- end caps, sidewalls; fiberglass composite
"¢ Baggage Doors: Fiberglass composite, electric locks
"¢ Entrance Door: Air-operated RTM door
"¢ Indicators: Engine oil psi, engine coolant temperature, engine oil temperature, transmission fluid temperature, engine tachometer, speedometer / odometer, primary and secondary air psi, fuel and voltmeter
"¢ Warning Lights: Low fuel indicator light and warning light on dash to monitor battery voltage, plus many others
"¢ Cooling System: Parallel radiator and charge air cooler system
"¢ Fan Clutch: Electromagnetic, 2-speed
"¢ Steering System: Leather-wrapped tilt and telescoping steering wheel with ZF variable ratio and steerable tag axle
"¢ Drive Shaft: Meritor 1810 series
"¢ Suspension: Electronically controlled air suspension with kneeling and high- and low-ride features
"¢ Batteries: Two 8D (1350 c.c.a. each)
"¢ Voltage: 12 volt and 24 volt

This coach is equipped with the Allison B500R automatic transmission, the R stands for Retarder. What this does is give you the driver, a 6 position joy stick on the left side console to slow the coach down without using your expensive brakes! If you have never used one of these it is AWESOME! It's ten times more effective than a Jacobs Engine brake by itself. I cannot stress this driving feature enough, it really is tremendous!

You can research this manufacturer in detail by going to their website, just google them. I cannot provide you with the site per Ebay rules. Now let's get to the conversion side of this world class chassis. Here are the highlights,

Completed in 2003 and titled as a 2003 even though the chassis is a 2000.

"¢ HWH SpaceMaker Flat floor slide out in Living room, US Patent 7150483
"¢ HWH Rear bed slide too!
"¢ HWH 600 series Computer controlled air level system for parking
"¢ Wabco anti-lock brake system
"¢ Transicold BUS AIR plus 4 roof top Heat/AC units with Duo-Therm controls
"¢ BUS GENERATOR plus
"¢ 20 KW Kohler/Nixon diesel generator (Yanmar diesel with 2100 hours)
"¢ Trace SW series inverter/charger
"¢ Four 8D series house batteries in the forward bay
"¢ Two 8D chassis batteries
"¢ Mach 5 110 volt fresh water pump
"¢ Vehicle Systems Inc. heat pump for hot water, bay heating, coach heating
"¢ Home Sentinel Video intercom system (See visitors at the front door from bed)
"¢ In motion Satellite, Cruise TV DBS-4500 series with dual receivers
"¢ Color back-up camera
"¢ All interior shades are electronically controlled
"¢ Girard electronic awnings with remote control
"¢ Full Entertainment system including TV, Stereo, Refrigerator/Freezer in lower bay. All mounted on pull out Joey beds.
"¢ 150 Gallon fresh water tank (gravity fill)
"¢ Custom electronic driver's side lower bay doors, these are really cool!
"¢ Passenger side lower bay is open with a pull out Joey bed
"¢ Driver's side Isri air ride lumbar seat with CD player and separate speakers
"¢ Air sealing entrance door
"¢ Electronic windshield shades
"¢ Spiral entrance staircase (unique to MCI)
"¢ Two electronic extending leather covered sofas with pull down drink holders!
"¢ Custom tile flat floor, carpet on stairs and in bedroom
"¢ Sony state of the art Flat panel TV and surround sound, VERY COOL!
"¢ 3 burner cooktop, Microwave/Convection oven, double stainless steel sink
"¢ Full size side by side refrigerator with Ice & Water in the door
"¢ Galley has leather booth to seat 4 adults plus a pullout table extension
"¢ Half bath with door on driver's side behind dinette. (Royal flush elec. Toilet)
"¢ Rear full bath is a walk thru with large Corian shower, Royal flush toilet and many closets.
"¢ Rear stateroom has large walk-in closet, Queen bed, double night stands, & ceiling fan.
"¢ Rear stateroom also includes Sony flat screen TV with full Stereo and DVD system.

As you can see, there was no holding back when it came time for this conversion! One of the things I like the most about this coach is how easy and simple the systems are incorporated into the chassis. No over the top frills here to keep repairing. Just clear and simple features that make all the difference when using a coach day to day.

Warning!

This is not a light weight RV! Don't be fooled by the price during the auction either. This is a full blown bus that will provide you with years and miles of use at a fraction of the cost.

Currently the coach has 77,200 miles on it. They are original and true. Please have the courtesy to inspect this coach first if you think it is too good to be true, it's not! I have the current Florida title in hand, it shows my dealership Scott Ales Inc. as the outright owner. That is who you will be buying it from, our licensed Florida dealership. Normal sales tax will be due according to your state's regulations.

After a complete inspection here are the deficiencies I have found,

"¢ Two passenger side bay doors are scratched on the lower section
"¢ Left rear bumper corner has a scrape (I have an estimate for $800 to fix both)
"¢ The carpet is average, personally I would replace it soon.
"¢ The nose has clear bug shield covering it. (It has protected most of the front but is starting to fray around the edges)
"¢ A small chip in the driver's side windshield
"¢ Two hubcaps are dented ($15.00 at your next truckstop)
"¢ One of the passenger side rear door latches needs replaced. (bad lock cylinder)
"¢ Countertops are lightly scratched, they are Formica, not hard surface
"¢ Two tag axle tires are new, the drive tires look like matched caps, steer tires are 75%

As you can tell I am very serious about the auction, all I ask from you is that you carefully consider your ability to follow through on you bid. Please do not bid on this if you cannot pay for it. I will allow trades if you phone me first,

Scott Ales 407-257-5854 or 352-735-5496.

Once again, I doubt you will ever get a chance like this again. Think carefully first. Wait till the end of the auction and it may slip through your fingers like so many things I have sold before.

If you want some background on me just Google me or check out my feedback or websites. If you can't find the sites simply call me at 407-257-5854 and I'll help you get there. I have many more pictures for you to see.

Delivery will take place at Excaliber Coach in Sanford, Fl. so any technical questions you may have can be addressed on the spot. The last bus I delivered was at this shop and it really helped the new buyer become comfortable with all of the systems. The owner is a fantastic seasoned veteran of the Bus/Coach industry and comes highly recommended by me! I will pay the hourly rate during the delivery process, it won't cost you a penny. No dealer fees either!

Lastly, I have all of the detailed books and manuals for all the systems and the chassis. Good luck and God bless to all.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote