Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-12-2006, 06:15 AM   #1

Check out the weight this person says you can haul with this coach! Power House Coach

92,000lbs might be a little overweight....

Wick

Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #2

Yeah I think they wrote that wrong.

Quote:
A Powerhouse Coach with a class 8 Truck Chassis has a Gross Vehicle Weight of 52,000 pounds.

Man that is heavy! But I am sure it has got to be close to 40,000 right?

I have to say it is a nice looking rig from the outside, still not a fan of those crazy entrance steps. I want to preface this statement by saying I have never seen a Power House Coach in person, but looking at pictures of this one and others it just seems like the interiors look weak for such a good looking rig on the exterior.

Anyway, I am sure someone will come along and grab it up, although 52' has got to be a handful to drive once you exit the highway.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #3

I remember reading 1,2 years ago that Powerhouse at that time just put a (Thor ?) traveltrailer/5th wheel on the Volvo chassis.

That would explain these entrance steps, as the TT would be totally flat and just put on the flat chasis without cut out for the steps.

Also would explain the "weak interior" look.

Forgot where these info was from, not sure if it ever was or still is correct.
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #4

Not sure how everyone is interperting the weight carrying and towing but what I believe it is supposed to mean is that this vehicle loaded with fuel and water and then take 8,000 pounds of cargo, including chips and beer and still be able to tow 40,000 pounds although of course that is I think unlikely. I don't know who made the coaches originally it may have been Thor, the current ones are made by Teton and look excellent and are built well in my estimation. I test drove one and handling wasn't for me any more taxing or unusual then a really big 45' MH and definitely easier then a set of doubles which I have driven. Although not reccomended for unskilled driivers which unfortunately are all too common among RV owners.
Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #5

I forgot to ask; Warpath, what about the steps is a consideration? I am not far from approaching the folks at PowerHouse to see what kind of deal I can strike with them to build be one of these. I'd like to hear what old timers think needs consideration.
Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Powerhouse at that time just put a (Thor ?) traveltrailer/5th wheel on the Volvo chassis.
I remember Doug telling me it was a Forest River unit, originally intended for 5th wheel use, then turned around so you ended up with an elevated rear bed and a ton of storage underneath, along with a door on the wrong side of the coach. Is this good? You decide....
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #7

Right Gary, right

and the slide out used to be on the curb side only and their argument was "for safety" so it does not stick out on the drivers side and gets hit if you are parked on the side of the road with the slide out.
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Not sure how everyone is interperting the weight carrying and towing but what I believe it is supposed to mean is that this vehicle loaded with fuel and water and then take 8,000 pounds of cargo, including chips and beer and still be able to tow 40,000 pounds although of course that is I think unlikely.
I think they need to change the wording becouse they way it is they are saying that you can travel down the road at 92,000+lbs. Some idiot will try it and get a ticket or kill somebody and then the lawsuits will start. In today's world things need to be written as perfectly clear and as black and white as possible.

Wick
Old 04-13-2006, 04:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Because the truck tractor was designed to carry hundreds of thousands of pounds you will have unparalleled breaking and stability, which means you will not have to worry about rutted roads or windstorms. If you do get into an accident you and your family will be protected by the engine out in front of you and a 1/8 inch plate steel body below you.
I am not sure that the person who wrote this really wanted to say this as well!!

Wick
Old 04-13-2006, 04:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Because the truck tractor was designed to carry hundreds of thousands of pounds you will have unparalleled breaking and stability, which means you will not have to worry about rutted roads or windstorms. If you do get into an accident you and your family will be protected by the engine out in front of you and a 1/8 inch plate steel body below you.
I do not believe that they ment to say that these trucks were designed to carry "hundreds of thousands of pounds!

Wick
Old 04-13-2006, 07:03 AM   #11

Doug Tolbert are you out there? Jump in here and educate us on the Power House Coach. And I am saying this in a good way, speculating on what they are doing now does them or us no good.

I did go through their website and they do a great job in giving you in detail the specifications of the truck, but I could not find anything on the motorhome end.

About the entry stairs. I know why they do it and that is to save space in the living area, but having that many steps outside of the coach just seems like a major safety concern. And again I could be way off base with this analysis since I have not actually tried them out.

Chevy57PkUp, since you have and you are thinking about purchasing one, what did you think?

I have pulled into rest areas and truck stops where you had barely enough room to open that door let alone getting all those steps to open up. Also what happens if there is a obstruction? Will the steps stop coming out? If the steps cannot come all the way out will the door still open?

Just curious.

Also I know they demo alot of their units, if any of the reps are coming through Ohio, please email me browell@truckconversion.net. I would love to do a tour as well as a review of the rig which I would feature on the site. And that invitation goes for any manufacturer.