Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Freightliner-Columbia-Mi...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a Showhauler with a MB 450hp motor.

What's the difference between the Columbia and the M2 Chassis that Warpath is selling? Both are newer and priced similar.

Comments?

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:45 AM   #2

BravestDog wrote:

"What's the difference between the Columbia and the M2 Chassis that Warpath is selling? Both are newer and priced similar."

I recently asked the local Freightliner shop the same question. The M2 is lighter duty than the Columbia (CL). While the CL is available in both 112 and 120 lengths, the M2 is 112 max. Motor options have higher horsepower in the CL 112 than in the M2 112 as well as stronger suspension and transmission options. Oh and the price is of course stiffer for the CL than the M2.
Roy

LooseClu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #3

LooseClu,

Any idea of the differences in price? $10-25k??? The model in the ad has a 450hp MB motor.

Can a CL carry more in weight than an M2 or is the CL just built stronger and has the same weight rating?

Any other about the differences?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #4

If you've got some time go the FL website and look at their different models. It's interesting to do the same at the other major truck builders (Volvo, Kenworth, Mack, Peterbilt, etc.). While most of what you'll see is "fluff and puffery" (otherwise known as advertising) you will also get a feel for what's out there and its general capabilities.

Enjoy the educational experience!!!!!
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #5

The big motor in the m2 is the 300 Cat I believe, the Columbia 450 is an awesome motor. Cost difference is about 15K I believe. I like the columbia nose better than the bigger m2 nose, nicer visibility. The m2 is basically the replacement for the FL series, some m2's see duty as single tractors with light loads. The CL is a heavier duty chassis and can tow up to 40,000 lbs.
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #6

Smile

would you like to comment on what you know re this topic?

I don't know the answers and don't want to spend hours searching and analyzing the data...

would like to hear your or anyones comments.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Camping Dutchman:
The big motor in the m2 is the 300 Cat I believe, the Columbia 450 is an awesome motor. Cost difference is about 15K I believe. I like the columbia nose better than the bigger m2 nose, nicer visibility. The m2 is basically the replacement for the FL series, some m2's see duty as single tractors with light loads. The CL is a heavier duty chassis and can tow up to 40,000 lbs.
Camping Dutchman

Would that be $15k total, roughly $7.5 for the larger motor and $7.5k for heavier chassis, or $15k more for the M2 to CL series disregarding the motor?

How much can the M2 tow if the CL can tow 40k?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #8

15 total. The m2 can be special ordered with the 450hp engine according to the website. That would be awesome.

Not sure on towing capacity
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #9

I'm really not qualified to give any sort of detailed answers, here. I did my "research" during spare moments where I'd hit a manufacture's site, look around a bit, download any pdf's that looked interesting, then moved on down the road. Didn't keep notes or anything like that.

You don't really need to spend "hours of research" but rather just do a few casual visits over time. The big advantge to you is that you will quickly answer your own questions without any overlay of my prejudice!

Learn and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smile is offline   Reply With Quote